New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

nuggetman  
Posted : Wednesday, 17 November 2010 11:05:04 AM(UTC)
nuggetman

Groups: Registered
Man

Hi,I have searched in vain around this area (N.Plymouth) for expanded metal suitable for sluice-box use.Only source is at Ulrich at $150 a sheet.I welcome any feedback and maybe there will be suggestions about recovering fine gold with a sluice-box by some other means. Thanks.
kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 4 December 2010 12:37:06 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi Guys, I have some off cuts of expanded mesh that I use in my sluice box's. Not cheap. The off cuts I have are 220mm down the box & I can do any width you want up to 800mm. If you want more length down the box you could just double or triple up on them down the box as far as you want to go. I have them up on trademe me as well but can do a cheaper price through the site as there will be no selling fee. Here is a sample pic.

UserPostedImage

Photo is only 115mm X 230mm & just a sample to show the profile of the mesh with its raised front edge & slight backward angle. Creates a disturbance in the water flow causing vortex action & low water pressure areas & acts as a small riffle system on its own to trap, seperate & hold on to the gold. Great for fine gold recovery from concentrates or finely classified material due to its low profile as compared to a larger riffle that needs a much greater flow of water to keep the bigger rocks & stones carrying on down & out the box which isnt very good for that fine gold recovery. Good on top of the black ribbed matting with a gentle water flow. 2nd photo shows the black sand ONLY build up behind the mesh, although this is a bigger mesh but same principle & third pic shows the very fine gold saved which most was in the ribbed matting under the mesh at the head of the box. This gold was found in a Coromandel creek & is gold lost from the tailings of a stamper battery before the days of cyanide treatment. So hence the gold is of a very low density to its mass meaning.... it is a lot lighter in weight than natural fine alluvial gold of the same size. Which shows how well the mesh works at saving it.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

PM me for prices on what size you want.

Cheers

Happy hunting

JW :)
kiwisouth  
Posted : Sunday, 5 December 2010 3:47:00 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi

I have seen some at a scrap metal merchant once, one day that I wasn't interested in the stuff. You would think it would be cheap as chips but.....
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum