New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Thursday, 9 August 2012 8:21:53 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)

Thanks GoGold for the interesting info

Here what i have found for shipwrecs there :
http://www.angelfire.com...f/shipwrecksfoveaux.html

There is a list with all information about boats and cargo etc....

I wish i was a scuba diver... with my Excalibur.. :-))
UserPostedImage
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 9 August 2012 8:59:58 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
To words for ya DB....general grant !!
not sure if you have read about it....i have!
gogold  
Posted : Thursday, 9 August 2012 9:02:53 PM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
you beat me to it gbm heres a website interesting story lots of $$$$$$$$$$ somewhere at the bottom of the ocean.
http://wreckofthegeneralgrant.com/index.htm
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 9 August 2012 9:32:39 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Hi GOGOLD
Yep pretty dam interesting...they basically got blown into a cave and as the tide rose up the mast hit the roof of the cave and went through the floor !! out of the dozen survivors they found 1 singel match lit a fire that they kept burning for 11 months untill they got found by a passing ship as it turned out there was another bunch of shipwreck people at the other end of the island or a small1 beside the main island i forget and neather partys had any idea they wernt alone you read it and well it "sounds like" must be just sitting there waiting to be found i was thinking underwater metal detector,s dredging etc etc untill i found this
www.3news.co.nz/New-book...cleID/99253/Default.aspx

Cambell live did have a interview with bill day and even some footage of what they were upto but have taken away now.

Would be treasure hunters :) www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5qny723hEs

Edited by user Thursday, 9 August 2012 9:33:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 9 August 2012 9:58:40 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
I got the funniest faintest suspicion that the General Grant and the Auckland Islands are to the Foveaux Strait what Wellington is to Christchurch so somehow I dont think the General Grant classifies as a Foveaux Strait shipwreck...and dont any of you guys get any ideas about the General Grant because I am going to buy me a big boat when I win Lotto and go and find it myself!

Gingerbreadman - I dont know where you got the information that one of the masts went through the floor - The Fore topmast came into contact with the roof of the cave and carried away the Foremast close to the deck. The Main Topgallant mast tumbled with it and also the Bowsprit and Cathead.

It would be almost impossible for the mast to be driven out through the bottom of the ship as the mast step is on the keel and the keel is amazingly thick. Long before that happened the mast would snap at deck level or higher. One might refer to the cabin 'floor' but in reality the cabin floor is actually part of one of the decks and each deck had its own term as in Orlop deck, Poop deck, Main deck, Gun deck (On ships which carried a row of guns) and so on. The timber right on the bottom where the rounded sides of the ship meet the keel is neither floor nor deck but rather the timber of the bilges.

Just a bit of nautical information for those interested I suppose!

Edited by user Thursday, 9 August 2012 10:00:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 9 August 2012 10:50:07 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Hi Lammy
Terrified children clung to there mothers as they dressed them for there escape they prayed would be theres.Reports suggest Farther sarda was equal to the task of giving strength to others as he faced his own death.
As the blackness of light was replaced by the grey light of dawn the terror stricken passengers and crew were at last able to see the total hopelessness of there situation.The wreckage strewn everywhere and the great holes in the deck were rocks had crashed through made movement difficult.The constant grinding of the ship on the ledge and the sides of the cave the booming of the waves surging through their prison magnified their fear.As the vessel continued to work her way into the cave the stump of the main mast was pushed through the hull and the General grant began to settle....

If you get a boat big anough il be coming ul need a diver!!....eather that or il hoist my pirate flag and ambush ya on your way back;{

garrymac  
Posted : Thursday, 9 August 2012 11:07:11 PM(UTC)
garrymac

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi GT& GB, the son of one of the oringinal finders of the wreck is here in Dunendin and has vivid memories of his trips to the islands to find the Gen Grant on his fathers boat.The ship that was found under a rock slide in an cave entrance at first was thougth to be the general grant, but with the salvagers dredgeing results now cast doudth on the wreck being the General Grant. With a bit of research you should be able to find out more info than i could give you, there was a little doco on telly a year or two ago about the last salvage attemp.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 9 August 2012 11:27:31 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Hi garry
Yes i saw that doco real interesting they had a hooka system,winches and a dredge that pumped all the material on board the boat onto a convayer belt with fellas sifting through the dredged material .
they found a wreck but i think the givaway that it wasnt the Grant was the age of the coins they were much earlyer then the grant they suspectd it was a french ship that sank many years earler....according to survivors the water it sank in wasnt that deep which i guess was why they were in a big hurry to get back to the island after they had been rescued...1 survivor that went back actually died there trying to get at the loot.
Bet that fella you no would be an interesting fella to have a yarn with...espcially after a few whiskeys loose lips mite find the sunkn ships haha.
1864hatter  
Posted : Thursday, 9 August 2012 11:50:25 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
i'll join your pirate ship if there is rum a plenty.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 10 August 2012 12:17:25 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Hi Mr Gingerbreadman - ' the stump of the main mast was pushed through the hull and the General grant began to settle' - Yes that is feasible - the mast would never break thought the keel but if the mast was dislocated from the mast step on the keel then it could go through the hull - when you said 'floor' I assumed you meant the keel - it would be nearly impossible for any mast on such a ship to penetrate the actual keel - the actual keels were so strong that many a ship ran aground as the tide went out, was pivoted on a short length of keel which bore most of the weight of the vessel along a short length without damage and was then refloated on the rising tide.

What you refer to as the 'floor' is of course the hull down at the bilges and yes the mast could be forced through it. The Encyclopaedia of New Zealand stated that the masts were 'forced through the hull' and that is what you said - I would be interested in knowing more as Ingram merely stated that 'The mainmast took a set on the roof of the cave, and that must have started her bottom, as the vessel thenceforth must have settled down very quickly' - it might appear therefore that it is only an assumption ( '...must have started her bottom...') that the Mainmast penetrated the bottom based on the fact that she went down quickly and later historians have misreported earlier accounts to make it a definitive statement.

I have in all seriousness considered selling my high country place to buy a vessel and get together a syndicate...its a nice thought and dreams are free...but then again nothing tangible on this planet ever came to pass without firstly a dream! And yes if ever I did you and Henry would be invited.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Friday, 10 August 2012 1:17:08 AM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post

Hi Mr Gingerbreadman - ' the stump of the main mast was pushed through the hull and the General grant began to settle' - Yes that is feasible - the mast would never break thought the keel but if the mast was dislocated from the mast step on the keel then it could go through the hull - when you said 'floor' I assumed you meant the keel - it would be nearly impossible for any mast on such a ship to penetrate the actual keel - the actual keels were so strong that many a ship ran aground as the tide went out, was pivoted on a short length of keel which bore most of the weight of the vessel along a short length without damage and was then refloated on the rising tide.

What you refer to as the 'floor' is of course the hull down at the bilges and yes the mast could be forced through it. The Encyclopaedia of New Zealand stated that the masts were 'forced through the hull' and that is what you said - I would be interested in knowing more as Ingram merely stated that 'The mainmast took a set on the roof of the cave, and that must have started her bottom, as the vessel thenceforth must have settled down very quickly' - it might appear therefore that it is only an assumption ( '...must have started her bottom...') that the Mainmast penetrated the bottom based on the fact that she went down quickly and later historians have misreported earlier accounts to make it a definitive statement.

I have in all seriousness considered selling my high country place to buy a vessel and get together a syndicate...its a nice thought and dreams are free...but then again nothing tangible on this planet ever came to pass without firstly a dream! And yes if ever I did you and Henry would be invited.

Hi Lammy
The General Grants story is very interesting...though with out doubt like you said there are different versions!.
i got my hands on a few books the latset 1 iv read is a great read "The General Grants Gold" by Allen and Scadden....i must drop it off at your pad for you to read in the near future.

Syndicate man i can dream with the best of them!....from what i can gather that bill day has been down about 4 times looking at 1 point i think they were parked up for around 3 or 4 months as they did actually find a wreck but not the grant....

Edited by user Friday, 10 August 2012 1:19:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 10 August 2012 9:07:38 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
thanks you guys for the stories
i love reading about the general grant

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 10 August 2012 10:48:18 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Hi Mr Gingerbreadman

I think that the first reports are the most accurate - every book written subsequently to the first newspaper articles, official reports, books and dairies is like Chinese whispers - they either neglect to include certain information, they misinterprete what they have read or they embellish it.
From what I can gather from the primary sources it might have been assumed that the main mast of the General Grant penetrated the hull and this assumption was made on the basis of the rapidity by which she went down - do you think it is just as likely that the wall of the cave stove in the hull - I think that is actually more likely as the vessel would have been heaving against the cave walls.

A good example of the twisting of the truth or neglect to include the facts is the virtually unknown story of the altercation at Gabriels Gully.
For one of the Primary source reports of this altercation read the section 'Burgess and Kelly Gang' in the following; -

http://paperspast.natlib...mp;e=-------10--1----0--

By the 1930s when Gilkinson wrote 'Early Days in Central Otago' his book gives a good account of what happens but adds a few more details not mentioned in any of the early newspaper accounts or reports I ave read. Todays 'history' books in this politically correct society fail to mention this altercation at all! Instead they give a 'Politically correct' view of Goldfields life. Indeed todays book give a completely false impression of life on the gold fields. The interesting book 'Diggers, hatters and Whores' went opposite to the Politically correct books and gives as many accounts of violence, depredation and so on that the author could find and yet the most interesting account of the use of pistols on any of the New Zealand goldfields doesnt seem to have made the book at all!

To summarize re the General Grant - The earlier accounts seem to suggest that the Main mast penetrated the hull of hte ship but I cannot find any definitive statement that it actually did so - until reading modern accounts. Did someone in translation turn an assumption into a matter of fact?
simon  
Posted : Friday, 10 August 2012 11:29:17 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
in regards to shipwrecks in foveaux strait - i had a book out recently from the local library that detailed every shipwreck and disappearance in nz since the first ship.

the strait is littered with ships. there was one in fiordland that were really old, like 1795.

a good place to start your research. the book was bit dry but had been updated over the decades of publications
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Friday, 10 August 2012 11:43:51 AM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Wow,
Did i spark a great interest on all you guys? :-)

So. as was mentioned- how about a syndicate, rent a boat and start research .. salvage like cannon or treasures :-)
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
Cleggie  
Posted : Friday, 10 August 2012 7:23:51 PM(UTC)
Cleggie

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Yes the General Grant is a real legend and there have been lots of attemps at salveging the gold that was onboard... but man is that ever wild sea down there. They don't call it the roaring forties for nothing, not many calm days and even when it is calm it can change real fast. I know as I have been down near the Auckland Islands and got caught in a sudden change, big swells and howling winds.

I love the sea and would love to join in on an adventure like this, just make sure the boat is a good one with plenty of horsepower
mineforgold.co.nz  
Posted : Friday, 10 August 2012 10:25:24 PM(UTC)
mineforgold.co.nz

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Sounds like fun DB. How much were you thinking we would need to front with on this adventure?
Own: Lobo SuperTraq, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Excalibur
asterix  
Posted : Friday, 10 August 2012 11:48:11 PM(UTC)
asterix

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I read the book "Wreck of the General Grant" when i was a kid,always been fascinated by it.My father went their on a S & R looking for a lost yacht back in the late 70s.He took photos around that area,not seen them in a long time tho.
As far as i'm aware the NZ Gov. has put a ban in place to stop people exploring/salvaging the wreck,due to the amount of casualties over the years.
sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Saturday, 11 August 2012 12:07:34 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Hi Asterix
Pretty sure you can still get down there must be a lot of red tape though i think that clip i posted at the start of this thread "the youtube link" well im pretty sure those fellas were supposed to have a doc guy on board with them for the intyre trip but i think he didnt show so they went anyway !
here is a link that shows the numerous attempts to find the grant interesting to read what happens to some of them!
www.maanz.wellington.net.nz/projects/gengrant.html
asterix  
Posted : Saturday, 11 August 2012 8:51:47 PM(UTC)
asterix

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Gingerbreadman,maybe the ban has been lifted? Either way,having to deal with DOC and possibly Historic Places Trust would be enough to put most people off! The area in question is notorious for atrocious weather,it would take a brave soul to enter the waters there.Probably end up in the hands of a large exploration company like "Odyssey Marine" able to use underwater robotic submersibles so lives aren't further endangered.
2 Pages12>