New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Chrispy  
Posted : Sunday, 12 August 2012 3:11:28 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 102 post(s)
hey can anyone give me some handy tips on non abrasive cleaning of older pennys. i have a 1920 australian penny but need to clean it up to see if it has THE DOTS on it but dont want to wreck it. ive tryed soapy hot water and a tooth brush but still a bit iky. cheers
Shilo  
Posted : Sunday, 12 August 2012 4:08:19 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Soaking in warm peroxide can work well. The method you use will all depend on what sort of dirt or encrustation it is covered with, if its organic dirt or corroded green then the peroxide should work. If its encrusted from the beach I would just zap it with electrolysis.

Another way which I consider the best if the coin is valuable is to soak in olive oil for a couple of weeks, picking at the worst places with a toothpick every couple of days. But this takes a long time.
Chrispy  
Posted : Sunday, 12 August 2012 8:01:21 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

New Zealand

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 102 post(s)
im in no hurry. theres a double dot penny on ebay going for 600 pound lol.
cheers mate.