New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

expat  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 August 2012 3:27:27 PM(UTC)
expat

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
On a bottle collecting forum I frequent, this post was recently put up. Very interesting viewing I reckon.

Follow the thread to the end because the poster adds plenty more photos as he goes on.

http://www.bottledigging.org.uk...um/Topic272706-20-1.aspx

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
chrischch  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 August 2012 6:32:29 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
I couldnt view as you need to register but the suspense is killing me so might just have to take the plunge and fill in all the stuff and verify by email etc etc etc to see what it is. :)
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
chrischch  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 August 2012 6:50:08 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Wow that WOULD be a great place to detect! Cant help but be a little jealous of the great amount of history that Great Britain has. Thanks for the link.
expat  
Posted : Wednesday, 15 August 2012 12:41:46 AM(UTC)
expat

Man

Ah.. sorry, didnt realise that would be a problem.
Have tried to cut and paste but too many bigger pics for this site.

If anybody wants to view with my log in details go ahead.....username expat (same as here) password poyntzs.

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
kiwisouth  
Posted : Wednesday, 15 August 2012 12:54:25 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Yep, registered for the forum and I was gobsmacked at what the fella found. Thanks for putting the link on
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
expat  
Posted : Wednesday, 15 August 2012 8:09:07 PM(UTC)
expat

Man

And you even made a post on it kiwi, good man. Welcome to the absorbing world of antique bottles!!

chrischch  
Posted : Wednesday, 15 August 2012 11:37:43 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Speaking of bottles, I found a really good example of one of these...http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/account/4033/object/122585/Container_bottle_[Stella_Preserves_Ltd]
when Ash and i were at Moonlight Creek. It was just sitting on top of the undergrowth beside a track. I actually thouht it was modern rubbish and was going to bin it in the correct spot. When we looked closer, we discovered it was this old preserves bottle. Really weird as it looked freshly dropped. Maybe someone found it then couldnt be bothered carrying it any further?
Would it be worth anything? I found a couple of old trademe auctions but they were too old to see the price.
expat  
Posted : Thursday, 16 August 2012 6:07:05 AM(UTC)
expat

Man

Hi Chrischch, afraid your bottle is very common and uninspiring to sell for much on trademe. Most of this type remain unsold or struggle to get to a fiver. A bit too late datewise to excite collectors who want their bottles to be early 'hand made' examples. The one in the pic is far too late, I even have issues with their dating of pre 1935 (supposed museum experts who know bugger all) and suggest a slightly post war date for your find if it was the same as this.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I'd always be happy to date and id bottle finds for anybody out there.

Never leave them there...always bring them back and find out. You never know...

madsonicboating  
Posted : Thursday, 16 August 2012 10:55:13 AM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
thanks for the link Expat...I logged in with your details but still couldn't find that link you were talking baout :)

Here's some of my bottles found or aqquired along the ways...I have some chch ones and a couple of northisland ones I would swap for any local south canterbury bottles if I don't have em :)

Cheers again
Dan

madsonicboating attached the following image(s):
2012-08-16 09.46.16 [1024x768].jpg
2012-08-16 09.47.04 [1024x768].jpg
2012-08-16 09.47.32 [1024x768].jpg
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Thursday, 16 August 2012 11:21:21 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: madsonicboating Go to Quoted Post
thanks for the link Expat...I logged in with your details but still couldn't find that link you were talking baout :)

Here's some of my bottles found or aqquired along the ways...I have some chch ones and a couple of northisland ones I would swap for any local south canterbury bottles if I don't have em :)

Cheers again
Dan

You have some cool bottles there Dan.
Just wondering how your shelf goes in an earthquake?
expat  
Posted : Thursday, 16 August 2012 7:29:42 PM(UTC)
expat

Man

Originally Posted by: madsonicboating Go to Quoted Post

Cheers again
Dan

Sorry Dan, I really cocked this post up didnt I?
Once your logged in, go to the home page, chose the METAL DETECTING section and go to the post OFFICERS TRAINING/ARMY CAMP.

Great collection there Dan, would love to wade through those codds. I assume that swing stoppered pair at the top are from Saunders of Christchurch?

madsonicboating  
Posted : Thursday, 16 August 2012 9:44:40 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
haha nope not cocked up just im a bit unimformed and lost hahaa

and yep those 2 are saunders bottles...think I have a coupla other saunders bottles somewhere too..cheers for the info I will pop over later and check that site out again :)

Thanks Metal Kiwi and as for earthquakes..well yes a couple of times I have stood close by watching them shake and rattle...all my good ones are safe I just take a risk with the rest

Thanks
Dan