New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

mygrain  
Posted : Friday, 7 September 2012 2:18:18 PM(UTC)
mygrain

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I picked these silver coins up yesterday from an area that has been heavily worked over the last five years, with a lot of different metal detectors. The reason these coins were missed was because they were all being mask by rubbish, bits of iron,foil pull tabs etc. So how come I was able to find them.
1 Don't trust your VDI numbers
2 Use a small coil. The reason for the small coil is to get between the rubbish items and work around the edges of rubbish
especially around large iron targets.
3 Very little discrimination if any at all. Use tones if your detector has that option.
4 Head phones. Listen for those faint deep targets
5 Remove as much rubbish as you can, and the good targets will start to show themselves.
6 Don't be in to much of a hurry, take you time and swing your coil slowly.

Most of the coins in the photo were mixed in with pull tabs, once I removed the pull tab the coins showed up clearly.
The other photo's are of a 3 pence I found a couple of day's ago under a steel bar.
File Attachment(s):
simon  
Posted : Friday, 7 September 2012 4:55:54 PM(UTC)
simon

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
i've come across a few of those new detectors with the numbers on a digital display. there will always be stuff that fools such. you can never beat the sound that your ears pick up. if only my hearing was as good as a blind persons!
like the old saying goes, dig every target. you never know what you will dig up.
i can see where such detectors can be used to advantage tho to screen the like sof bullets in a heavily rubbished area. the thing is that you can never be sure if anything else is there.
after lots of use the detector user should be able to pick up their machines different tones in relation to key stuff like bullets, nails, and gold. and you can pretty obviously pick up the sheet iron etc by the size of the signal over the ground. then again, think of what could be under it. it's all those people that didn't bother to look that get the good targets. be meticulous.