New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 25 September 2012 8:56:22 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Metal Detecting Code of Ethics. Part 1 of 3.

Hi all. I dug this up out of my garrett handbook. It may help a few of you out if you are not sure. Even tho its american, we kinda follow the same guidelines here yall.
I have this stored on word document so if anyone would like a copy just PM me your email and i will send it to you.

Quote, by old man Garrett himself. ''The following is a Code of Ethics that many treasure hunting clubs endorse and hobbyists follow to preserve our exciting hobby of metal detecting. We encourage you to do the same''.

CODE OF ETHICS
* I will respect private and public property, all historical and archaeological sites and will do no metal detecting on these sites without permission.

* I will keep informed on and obey all local and national legislation relating to the discovery and reporting of found treasures.

* I will aid law enforcement officials wherever possible.

* I will cause no wilful damage to property of any kind including fences, signs and buildings.

* I WILL ALWAYS FILL THE HOLES I DIG.

* I will not destroy property, buildings or remains of deserted structures.

* I will not leave litter or other discarded junk items lying around.

* I will carry all junk rubbish and dug targets with me when i leave each search area.

* I will observe the Golden rule using good outdoor manners and conducting oneself at all times in a manner which will add to the stature and public image of all people engaged in the field of metal detection.

Edited by user Saturday, 11 April 2015 11:21:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Charles Lewis Garrett. 1932 - 2015

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
kiwisouth  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 September 2012 9:56:53 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Nice one Creamer. The Te Tahi Club in Auckland is less extensive than your version but they basically say the same thing. Don't be a pain in the arse and fill your holes. If we can get the authorities to believe that we are "ethical" in how we operate, we may get looked at more favourably.

Well done. Perhaps we need to find one for the gold fossickers who use dredges in public areas or on private property without permission
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 27 September 2012 9:11:15 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Hi there kiwisouth. It would be interesting to see what your club ethics/rules are compared to the above. Thinking about it we dont seem to have one here in NZ that we can all stick too. I guess its because there is nothing official about metaldetecting here in this country, yet. Where as in other places like the UK they have fairly stern based rules and guidelines.
Again i wasnt sure how this thread would go as when we breach the topic of where when or how, we all seem to tread lightly when in fact we dont need to, just embrace it i say. So, pleased to see that its going down well.
Most of us follow these guidelines anyway. I did notice a bit of uncertaincy with a couple of newbies recently so i hope this page helps them on there way. There is a part 2 to this list which i may post later.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 5 October 2012 7:52:57 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Metal Detecting Code Of Ethics. Part 2 of 3.

Cautions.
* Never hunt or trespass on private property without permission.

* Avoid areas where pipelines or electrical lines may be buried.

* National and state parks/monuments, etc are absolutely off-limits.

* Deepseeking detectors can detect concealed pipes, wiring and other potentially dangerous material. When those are located, the proper authorities should be notified.

* Do not hunt in a military zone where bombs and other explosives may be buried.

* Do not disturb any pipeline, particularly if it could be carrying flammable gas or liquid.

* Use reasonable caution in digging toward any target, particularly in areas where you are uncertain of the ground conditions.

* If you are unsure about using your metal detector in any area, always seek permission from the proper authorities.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 22 October 2012 9:36:14 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

MD Code of Ethics part 3/3.

Caring for your machine.
* Avoid extreme temperatures as much as possible, such as storing detectors in automobile trunks during the summer or outdoors in-
* -sub freezing temperature.

* Keep your detector clean. Wipe the control box with a damp cloth when necessary.

* Remember that your search coil is submersible, but your control housing is not. Never submerge any control housing or connector in water-
* -(unless specifically designed for underwater use).

* Protect your control housing from from heavy mist rain or blowing surf.

* Disassemble the stem, wipe it and the coil clean with a damp cloth.

* When storing for longer than one month, remove batteries from the detector.

* It is best to use quality alkaline batteries. When changing batteries, be sure to replace with all new batteries for maximum performance.

Edited by user Monday, 22 October 2012 9:42:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Detectorhead

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
expat  
Posted : Monday, 22 October 2012 12:44:22 PM(UTC)
expat

Man

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Good stuff there creamer. Althought its rare up here to find holes that have'nt been filled in by other detectorists, I'm forever finding recently dug areas which still give a signal to my machine which is a shame. I guess we'll all be digging them up again next year just because some idiot is too lazy to dispose of his trash.
In the UK, when I first started detecting in the late 70s (!) the hobby was licensed. I had to pay a pound and had to carry with me my authorisation papers!! This was no doubt because the hobby was new, a code of ethics hadnt evolved, and giant holes were left all over the place. The licensing I guess gave the authorities half a chance of finding the culprits within a certain area. As more and more clubs were formed, and members educated as to the rights and wrongs of how to dig, the licensing system was abolished. I'd hate to see it introduced over here just because of the selfish attitudes of the small minority. Just a thought.

Thanks for putting those up for us to read.

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 23 February 2013 8:55:35 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Originally Posted by: creamer Go to Quoted Post
Metal Detecting Code of Ethics. Part 1 of 3.

Hi all. I dug this up out of my garrett handbook. It may help a few of you out if you are not sure. Even tho its american, we kinda follow the same guidelines here yall.
I have this stored on word document so if anyone would like a copy just PM me your email and i will send it to you.

Quote, by old man Garrett himself. ''The following is a Code of Ethics that many treasure hunting clubs endorse and hobbyists follow to preserve our exciting hobby of metal detecting. We encourage you to do the same''.

CODE OF ETHICS
* I will respect private and public property, all historical and archaeological sites and will do no metal detecting on these sites without permission.

* I will keep informed on and obey all local and national legislation relating to the discovery and reporting of found treasures.

* I will aid law enforcement officials wherever possible.

* I will cause no wilful damage to property of any kind including fences, signs and buildings.

* I WILL ALWAYS FILL THE HOLES I DIG.

* I will not destroy property, buildings or remains of deserted structures.

* I will not leave litter or other discarded junk items lying around.

* I will carry all junk rubbish and dug targets with me when i leave each search area.

* I will observe the Golden rule using good outdoor manners and conducting oneself at all times in a manner which will add to the stature and public image of all people engaged in the field of metal detection.
A rehash of an old thread. This code of ethics is standard procedure in the USA and one that i follow.

Edited by user Saturday, 23 February 2013 8:58:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: A rehash of your post

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Guardian  
Posted : Saturday, 16 March 2013 5:41:35 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Hopefully newbies will be reading this thread, so I thought this might be a good place to put this link, I have posted it before but here seems more relevant. Clip is a "how to" about digging targets and ok it's not as quick as digging a plug but that bit of extra time leaves the end result looking a lot nicer especially a week later. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEZNWMXKDE
Shilo  
Posted : Saturday, 16 March 2013 6:19:00 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guardian Go to Quoted Post
Hopefully newbies will be reading this thread, so I thought this might be a good place to put this link, I have posted it before but here seems more relevant. Clip is a "how to" about digging targets and ok it's not as quick as digging a plug but that bit of extra time leaves the end result looking a lot nicer especially a week later. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEZNWMXKDE

The Probe Method is a useful recovery method for shallow targets in dry friable soil like the country is experiencing at the moment. But for deep targets in good turf the Slit Method is much better. Warning the slit method will only work in good thick turf - if its dry and crumbly or the grass is sparse then the turf will still break up. In these cases it is just best to ignore the deep target until winter time. You don't need a knife for the slit method as a sharpened Lesche still works well.

As well as the vid Guardian posted above, a PDF instruction of both is shown here: http://www.goldpanprospectors.com/files/METAL_DETECTING_RECOVERY_METHOD11.pdf

For both methods it is best to practice in your own back yard first and waiting a week to see what or if any damage shows.

Edited by user Saturday, 16 March 2013 6:20:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 21 November 2013 8:00:13 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Had the odd email regarding Code of Ethics in New Zealand. One was saying they couldn't find anything on the net regarding detector rules here. Thats because there aren't any as of yet. Some clubs have there own rules. I follow the American version, as do alot of others, which seems to work well.

See post # 1 for a Code of Ethics you can follow.

Happy Hunting all.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 15 February 2014 7:32:57 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Hi there, nothing like a rehashing of a thread. See post # 1, has some cool tips.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 7 April 2015 9:07:27 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Yet another rehash for any newbies.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz