New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

lemonade  
Posted : Sunday, 7 October 2012 1:18:26 PM(UTC)
lemonade

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hey there, I'm 23 years old and live in the Kapiti Coast.
Over the past days I've thought I might try this out as a hobby. I'm not looking for big finds and thinking I'll become rich. I'm just wanting an excuse to sit out in the sun by the river and pan for gold. Even finding gold sand/dust (whatever it might be named) would make me happy.

So my questions are...
How should I start?
Where should I look? (I live in the country side so I've got a few neighbours with rivers around).
Can I find gold in any river?
Are there any good sources you guys can point me too for tips and tricks for a beginner.
How likely is it to come across gold no matter how small?

Cheers!

EDIT: Also what other type of attractive minerals/metals are possible to come across?

Edited by user Sunday, 7 October 2012 1:21:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

lemonade  
Posted : Monday, 8 October 2012 11:46:45 PM(UTC)
lemonade

New Zealand

no one?
nzranger  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 October 2012 12:02:44 AM(UTC)
nzranger

Man
New Zealand

I'm kinda in the same boat, don't know much about gold finding but only because I haven't looked into it so much.
Most complicated thing for me is the locations and the claims, how would I know if I'm trespassing on someones claim? Rather than figuring out what places have/had gold, I'd like to know how to look at a map of nz and just know what areas are likely to have gold. I gather the fault line(?) and volcanic areas have something to do with gold formation? Just all guesswork here until I look into it myself.. Youtube, google and books may be your best resource for that info.

I'd recommend this link for public fossicking areas public-gold-fossicking-areas

Other types of attractive metals/minerals? I heard meteorite stones can ping on a metal detector. Also some people hunt for agate but I'm not sure what the method is for hunting those crystal rocks. Can find some posts on those "other treasures" here.

Edited by user Tuesday, 9 October 2012 12:03:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Current unit: Garrett AT Pro
1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 October 2012 10:45:20 AM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
You guys are on the wrong island for gold hunting! But aparrently gold can be found up in the Coromandel, Howefer gold in known to exist near wellington. Below are a couple of maps. the one with the solitary blue cross marks the location of known alluvial gold (there may be gold in many other places as this map is far from complete). The other shows red crosses and these mark known hard rock gold deposits. In theory there will be alluvial gold near these too if they are exposed at the surface. Hope that helps. Oh and the last image is the reason why the South island is better!!!!!

Edited by user Tuesday, 9 October 2012 11:11:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1864hatter attached the following image(s):
Wellington gold.PNG
Wllington gold.PNG
Capture.PNG
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
gjj109  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 October 2012 12:08:53 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
How about a trip to the library and reading a book such as "Gold for the Taking".
Juggie  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 October 2012 1:15:44 PM(UTC)
Juggie

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Giday

I live in Porirua, so not far from you.

Unforunately, unless you go up the Coromandel, you don't have any options in the North island.

The maps pictured above for Wellington are old & no longer accessable these days.

The last time we tried (15 years ago), we got told by the council to move on or be tresspassed.

I believe the council / DOC have locked up the areas into reserves or made it so we can't visit them anymore.

Luckily, the closest gold can be found just across the Cook Strait, so not to far away.

We have members here that live near there, so keep in touch ... you might be able to plan a visit with them.

I'd be happy to loan you a book ... or as gjj suggested ... check out the library.

Edited by user Tuesday, 9 October 2012 1:18:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 October 2012 1:18:03 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

I can post you a dog eared copy fo gold for the taking, provided you pay for postage.
lemonade  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 October 2012 3:32:21 PM(UTC)
lemonade

New Zealand

Sweet thanks for the information. I've also got a book my granddad used to own called "Gold in your bottle" written by Sandy and Judy Fairservice.

I guess I'll leave finding gold till next time I visit Mexico again hah.
What types of other pretty minerals am I likely to come across here in the North Island?
LepreSean  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 October 2012 6:53:56 PM(UTC)
LepreSean

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1864hatter Go to Quoted Post
You guys are on the wrong island for gold hunting! But aparrently gold can be found up in the Coromandel, Howefer gold in known to exist near wellington. Below are a couple of maps. the one with the solitary blue cross marks the location of known alluvial gold (there may be gold in many other places as this map is far from complete). The other shows red crosses and these mark known hard rock gold deposits. In theory there will be alluvial gold near these too if they are exposed at the surface. Hope that helps. Oh and the last image is the reason why the South island is better!!!!!

them thar great maps, somebody needs to have a bit more of an explore up there, also, what are the yellow crosses on the south island map?
auri sacra fames (accursed hunger for gold)
1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 9 October 2012 7:50:02 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Hey mate the yellow crosses are also hard rock deposits but of a different type. Not too sure what tho. The map can zoom in a lot so it can be kind of usefull.
Hardpan  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 October 2012 7:08:53 PM(UTC)
Hardpan

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey 1864hatter,
do your maps cover the Coramandel area if so could you please tell me were to find them or could you post it for me.
Cheers Brett (Hardpan).
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 October 2012 8:24:44 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
you guys are just down the road from some very interesting gold mining areas
try getting hold of the book "terawhiti and the goldfields" by james brodie

try reading page 124 the gold in wellington east vharbour and even in the wairarapa there seems to be more silver in the area

ref also to the ngahauranga hills above the hutt road

i think with some local knowledge and research you will be surprised what you will find in the lower north island
bittenbythebug  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 October 2012 8:32:32 PM(UTC)
bittenbythebug

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I agree, infact you will find a gold mining tunnel at the end of Whites Line East in Lower Hutt. I understand they dug for gold on the top of the Wainuiomata Hill somewhere also.
lemonade  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 October 2012 10:33:15 PM(UTC)
lemonade

New Zealand

Mmm my dads friend used to have a place near wellington and his property had some old gold shafts/mines through out it.

I live in Reikorangi, Waikanae so I'm surrounded by big hills. And the Akatarawa road will take me to upperhut. I guess that gives me hope from what you guys have said.

kramers_gold  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 November 2015 5:06:10 PM(UTC)
kramers_gold

New Zealand

The blue cross on the top map is around Karori sanctuary, but where would be the best place to look? The dam might be interesting but its only accessible inside the sanctuary n aside from having to pay to get in I don't think they'd take too kindly to fossicking... :-\ there might be some rear access through the back of Brooklyn or Highbury... Need to check it out!
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Friday, 27 November 2015 5:34:29 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
I'm going there in a few days time.
Gonna detect all the way around that coast.

You're right about where the blue cross is, they have Zealandia Sanctuary there now.
But there will be rivers flowing out somewhere.
I'm ready to get muddy in some boggy drains.

Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
kramers_gold  
Posted : Friday, 27 November 2015 8:38:57 PM(UTC)
kramers_gold

New Zealand

I had a wee look around the sanctuary the other day, at the junction there just by the Karori side of the tunnel there is a gully but its fairly inaccessible, n I'm not sure if there is even a stream... Bound to be plenty of overburden too. I'm heading over to Terawhiti next week, maybe let me know when you're down n we could meet up.
ElCrazy  
Posted : Monday, 30 November 2015 10:27:12 PM(UTC)
ElCrazy

New Zealand

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hope I can help being a Wellingtonian so read a bit about wellington gold history. There was a small gold rush - well kinda very small at turn of century. As I understand it, there were a few old hard rock mines where zealandia currently is, they never paid out well though. Some are flooded by the dam/water reservoir I think but there is one old shaft that is accessible from the sanctuary. There was some placer gold found believe it or not in the kaiwharawhara stream even. However that's before they filled in the stream below the sanctuary with landfill (where the big parks are now). Also some people have mentioned traces of placer in the Karori stream however before you go wondering up that you'll see that a big sewage plant discharges into it so wouldn't try that from the coast!

In my research I found a stream near terawhiti that was decent back in 1900's would love to check out but never got out that way as its hard to access. If you are ever going holla at me I'd be keen happy to share the stream location. Might not have anything but you never knw. I've seen official mineral reports on terawhiti that say it's pretty decent.
kramers_gold  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 December 2015 12:53:39 AM(UTC)
kramers_gold

New Zealand

Hi ElCrazy, thanks for your post. Yep, I'm getting quite familiar with the local spots n have been on a few missions this last week to explore including a drive over to South Makara where I met some locals with an old mine on their property! They even invited me to go up there, so I'll be doing that this week.

Dug a few holes but not found anything... yet! There is access to the Kaiwharawhara stream from the lower car park at the sanctuary and the Karori stream is easily accessible plus I think there is access across the golf course to the Waiariki.

If you're keen to go out I don't mind driving a few places. The company would be nice...
ElCrazy  
Posted : Thursday, 3 December 2015 8:44:03 PM(UTC)
ElCrazy

New Zealand

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi Krammers Gold PM me mate and lets do a mission!