New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
oroplata  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 December 2012 11:21:26 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

With recent complaints surfacing about detectorists damaging parks, I thought we might revisit and firm up some stronger rules regarding our hunting within public parks.

This was the result of "dinner plate" damage reported at Sheldon Park in Belfast and there were previous complaints about "dinner plate" sized holes near the band rotunda in Hagley Park.

Some "good citizen" rules I think we should instigate fairly rapidly to prevent our hobby from getting a bad rap:

1. No digging on playing surfaces during times when the grass will have trouble recovering before being used again for sports.

2. At times when there is a possibility that dryness might cause recovery problems, a water bottle should be used to wet the area after the plug is reinserted to help the grass along.

3. DO NOT dig large diameter holes. If you're digging holes that are wider than about 4 inches, you're doing something wrong. Do the rest of us a favour and go and get yourself a pinpointer and also a detector with pinpoint mode so you can locate the coin position accurately BEFORE digging. If you're using a detector more suited to gold detecting out in the sticks that doesn't have pinpoint mode, stop using it for park hunting and get yourself a detector designed for the job - before we all get banned.

4. When digging plugs make them 3 inches or more in depth, and if the coin is IN the plug, extract it from the bottom rather than the top, and dig "U" shaped plugs (or folds) so the grass roots remain connected on one side. Don't dig plugs that are only an inch thick, with all the roots exposed when you pull it up.

number8wire  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 December 2012 11:58:48 PM(UTC)
number8wire

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 880 time(s) in 425 post(s)
If you use the correct digging tool (a lesche knife or sharp trowel) and a pinpointer, you shouldn't need to dig a plug any larger than the cup size on a putting green.
Especially at this time of the year, it's essential to leave a "flap" attached to the plug so that you can flip it over rather than removing it completely. This helps with the healing process no end and certainly helps prevent the dreaded "circle of death".
I for one love this hobby and would hate to see the day when we are banned from certain places because of some individual's irresponsible behaviour.
WAKE UP GUYS before it's too late!
TEKNETICS T2 SE plus X-POINTER
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
razor  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 December 2012 7:11:20 PM(UTC)
razor

usual story minority ruin it for the rest
same thing will happen to this sport as happened with the freedom camping
legislation will be passed by council

HOBBY GONE NO WHERE TO GO
wake up you stuiped people

Edited by user Wednesday, 19 December 2012 7:12:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

madsonicboating  
Posted : Thursday, 20 December 2012 10:57:41 AM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
yeah well put Andy..I agree if your holes are that big or bigger than a 3 or 4 inch diameter, then you need pinpointing practice for sure.

It's also time we start photgraphing evidence of rubbish, glass and dangerous sharp objects that we are pulling from the dirt too, to start saving up an arguable defence.
Shilo  
Posted : Thursday, 20 December 2012 11:31:36 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Beware that too small a plug can also kill off the grass. The more intact root area the better the plug will survive, I did some experiments in my old back yard and found that the small plugs died off easier then the larger ones. By small I mean 3" or less, 5" is ideal in my opinion. Of course in dry conditions any hole will show and I do not believe a water from a bottle will be enough unless you go back and do it every day for a week - it needs heavy rain to revive. Best to leave that area until the wetter seasons.

In good turf an alternative to a plug is a slot. Pinpoint the target then cut a single 10" line (slot) through the roots directly over it with the target in the middle. Using your hands pull the edges of the slot apart until its this shape () and remove the soil under the turf until target is retrieved. Put back the soil then push the edges of the turf back together. This will not show at all afterwards and it will not die off since 3 sides of the roots are still attached. Again this is no good in dry conditions as the turf will break up when pulled apart.

Another hint is to use a cloth to put the loose soil on. When tipped back into the hole there is no soil laying around on the grass to show up where you have dug.
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 22 December 2012 6:31:37 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
I think if we all put our minds together it wont be long before we all have our own inhouse type rules to start which are bound to spread nationwide. We are the trendsetters, its up to us.
Looks like we are of to a good start. Keep it short, keep it simple.
Think before you dig.
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Hunter  
Posted : Tuesday, 25 December 2012 3:14:49 PM(UTC)
Hunter

Man

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi all let not ruin our hobby lets make sure that we help the newbies and do fill in all your holes and make sure that even you cant tell where you have been
*2014*
Rings PLT/PLA=0 GOLD=5 STG=18 Junk=4
Other Gold items- 4
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 28 December 2012 9:17:20 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Rules and regulations work well in this respect. Question is, how do you impliment them. Its not law because noone would go that far. I most certainly wouldnt. United one day possibly but not at this stage. There are hundreds of detectorists out there that are not on this forum. Our voice in these type threads is heard by many but replied to by few.
I will say that i have posted some ethics that i believe in and follow on another thread. You will find these on;
Metal Detecting-Tips and Tricks- MD Code of Ethics.
Its fairly standard stuff and easy to follow.
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 24 March 2013 7:45:45 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:18:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
sycotoad  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 April 2013 10:31:36 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:18:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Friday, 5 April 2013 1:06:13 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:19:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tonznz  
Posted : Saturday, 6 April 2013 7:57:57 AM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
That's one of the worst stories I have read on this forum. I commiserate with you.
sycotoad  
Posted : Saturday, 6 April 2013 12:55:52 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:20:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

guitard  
Posted : Thursday, 25 July 2013 1:27:12 PM(UTC)
guitard

New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
hey all, have been detecting for less than a week and have had 4 or 5 people
ask if I should be digging holes, could see that a couple of them were not too
happy so went and spoke to the manager for parks and reserves (before anyone complained) and told him what I was up to.
He said although it was most likley against the law or by laws of the city I could carry on, only if I let him know the location I will be detecting and if he could see no permanent damage there should not be a problem.
He also wanted me to hand in any valuable items to the police and send him a photo and place found so he could match any lost items, which I have no problems with.
sycotoad  
Posted : Thursday, 25 July 2013 3:52:56 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:21:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Thursday, 25 July 2013 3:58:36 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:21:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

keywikiwi  
Posted : Friday, 26 July 2013 12:30:19 PM(UTC)
keywikiwi

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Yeah public ive encountered have been great,even at the gala street reserve,had couple of mums and kids very interested in what I was finding.I must have found about 3-4 steel tent pegs which cant be good for the mower blades if they ever found a way back to the top.This area used to hold the A&P Shows along the gala st edge of the reserve although haven't covered that area yet.Could be some gold sovereigns hiding along there.Its all about the research.I don't bother with parks and reserves anymore.
chrischch  
Posted : Friday, 26 July 2013 1:23:40 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keywikiwi Go to Quoted Post
Yeah public ive encountered have been great,even at the gala street reserve,had couple of mums and kids very interested in what I was finding.I must have found about 3-4 steel tent pegs which cant be good for the mower blades if they ever found a way back to the top.This area used to hold the A&P Shows along the gala st edge of the reserve although haven't covered that area yet.Could be some gold sovereigns hiding along there.Its all about the research.I don't bother with parks and reserves anymore.

If you dont do parks and reserves, where do you go? Beaches in the South Island dont seem that great.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
sycotoad  
Posted : Friday, 26 July 2013 7:57:26 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 11:22:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 27 July 2013 9:07:43 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

A good habit to get into is going back to your previous dig sites and check that all your previous dig holes are ok.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
2 Pages12>