New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages<123>
sycotoad  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 March 2013 9:33:47 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nzpoohbear40 Go to Quoted Post
no one there was using a regular size shovel as for the councel i know a few of us have spoken to them and they dont have a porblem with the majoredy of us...as we do as clean a job as we can..however i have seen one or 2 guys out that arnt a part of the club..one of them do use a full size shovel and the other is a very very bad plug digger..unfortunatly we cant control what every detectorist does...if i meet up with someone that isnt part of the club and i see them diging huge pluges i talk to them and explain that they need to be neater and i tell them about the club as i dont want to see it ruined for us in this city...

The night in question here was a club night hunt and as far as i knw no one was digging dinner plate size holes...this guy come along and told us to piss off like he owned the place and andrew explained that we wernt wrecking the place and even offered to show him the holes being dug...the guy didnt want to talk or have a look he was very rude and just kept walking....
we strive to dig plugs as best we can... i know depending on ground conditions it is sometimes hard to have a perfect plug (one that doesnt crumble on you) but we do our best.

I will however agree with sheldon.. digging on the playing feild itself if it gets used that offten is not a good idea....i havnt been back out there yet myself to see the damage he is talking about but will try and get out there soon to have a look.. if we go to placese like that then we need to stick to tree lines and side lines...then we arnt wrecking the fields....then fields might be better left for winter when they arnt being used..

you guys are an organized club & you actually dig on the playing field surfaces?

is this correct?

Edited by user Wednesday, 13 March 2013 9:34:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
under the bedrock  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 March 2013 10:31:06 AM(UTC)
under the bedrock

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
simple really,dont dig public parks.
Metal Mikey  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 March 2013 2:40:32 PM(UTC)
Metal Mikey

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sheldon Go to Quoted Post
Stay off Sheldon Park

A couple of weeks ago I happened across a group of approx 8 people fossicking on Sheldon Park, Belfast, Christchurch. They were digging small holes about the size of a dinner plate. I reminstrated with them and asked them to leave and they refused. They have done alot of damage to the playing surface currently used by Touch Canterbury and the Belfast Touch Module and rugby during the winter. How dear they think they have the right to damage public property used by so many people and damaged by a few ignorant selfish individuals. The turfs dug up on the playing surface have since died due to dry conditions or been displaced by other users of the park. So take your hobby to the aproprite place and leave our public parks for the sports that they are designed for. I have advised the city council and in the future the police will be called.

I quit digging in the parks when the drought came along. In cooler weather I have visited some parks week after week and it is very hard to see where we have been. The golfer always replaces his clump he knocks out. Nobody bitches! We dont see rugby players fixing the ground after all the skids and bits dug up are left! How do they fix the mud? THEY DONT!

Having lived in redwood for many years I know how anal some of the belfast people can be. More fights on the sideline than on the field. The police have been called on occasion as has been reported in the paper and other media. If someone called the police how long do you think we would have to wait for them to turn up? Better take a sleeping bag. What a joke. I got told off by the police recently for calling them to the scene of an accident!!!! They said they didnt need to be there! So I told him to -uck off and deal with the person that actually ran into my truck. Car written off.

Now wheres the digger keys.

sycotoad  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 March 2013 10:11:29 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Metal Mikey Go to Quoted Post
Stay off Sheldon Park

A couple of weeks ago I happened across a group of approx 8 people fossicking on Sheldon Park, Belfast, Christchurch. They were digging small holes about the size of a dinner plate. I reminstrated with them and asked them to leave and they refused. They have done alot of damage to the playing surface currently used by Touch Canterbury and the Belfast Touch Module and rugby during the winter. How dear they think they have the right to damage public property used by so many people and damaged by a few ignorant selfish individuals. The turfs dug up on the playing surface have since died due to dry conditions or been displaced by other users of the park. So take your hobby to the aproprite place and leave our public parks for the sports that they are designed for. I have advised the city council and in the future the police will be called.

I quit digging in the parks when the drought came along. In cooler weather I have visited some parks week after week and it is very hard to see where we have been. The golfer always replaces his clump he knocks out. Nobody bitches! We dont see rugby players fixing the ground after all the skids and bits dug up are left! How do they fix the mud? THEY DONT!

Having lived in redwood for many years I know how anal some of the belfast people can be. More fights on the sideline than on the field. The police have been called on occasion as has been reported in the paper and other media. If someone called the police how long do you think we would have to wait for them to turn up? Better take a sleeping bag. What a joke. I got told off by the police recently for calling them to the scene of an accident!!!! They said they didnt need to be there! So I told him to -uck off and deal with the person that actually ran into my truck. Car written off.

yeah ........... good story bro

I mean think about it - diggin up a "playin surface" is nothing like digging in the park

playing surface should not be touched at all without the groundsman/caretakers permission/supervision

I don't care how neat your wee plugs are - they will still roll an ankle of someone sidestepping

But worst of all is to actually work these HIGH VISIBILITY areas during this weather .......... Duh

What next? - Bowling & Cricket Grounds :))
andy  
Posted : Thursday, 14 March 2013 12:10:43 AM(UTC)
andy

Australia

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 72 post(s)
im guessing that this argument happens this time of the year every year.i wander how long it will take people to realise why it happens at this time of the year every year.
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
Ash_T  
Posted : Thursday, 14 March 2013 6:40:25 PM(UTC)
Ash_T

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Metal Mikey Go to Quoted Post
Stay off Sheldon Park

Also, look much trash is left lying around by spectators and players on these fields.
Go take a look after game day. Its a f#$%king mess ! ! !.
WE (Metal Detectorists) pick up alot of the shit these other people drop and then trample in to the surface.

As far as im concerned, by picking out metallic trash (that could cause injury) from just under the surface,
im doing every player and other user that uses these fields a favor!

This argument happens any time a stuck up piece of shit citizen with nothing else to do,
apart from bash someone elses hobby comes along, and no doubt will continue until MDing eventually gets banned everywhere.

Enjoy it while it lasts, and F#$%K the neighsayers!! ;)
Check out my BLOG : Its where i post my finds :D
sycotoad  
Posted : Thursday, 14 March 2013 7:07:34 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

there is sure one hell of a lot of shit to pick up that is NOT on a playing field - knock yourself out

detecting a sports playing field in this weather without letting anyone know is an accident waiting to happen IMO
1864hatter  
Posted : Thursday, 14 March 2013 7:11:59 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
I have detected a lot around Dunedin and I never detected on a playing surface when it was dry. And I never detected on them when it was moist and there were people around. Also on the rare occasions when I did actually detect on a playing surface it was moist and virtually dark. I know for a fact that when people are around it will draw the wrong sort of attention and may get detecting banned altogether. I think its absolutely stupid to throw caution to the wind and potentially ruin it for everybody. If you detect on a playing field in the public eye you better have permission before you dig or you will run into trouble before too long, and rightly so. Also if it is moist and the lawnmower comes along shortly after you have dug your hole they can actully pull out the recently dug plug of grass. I, for one, have asked the custodian of a large public park in Dunedin and been granted permission to detect there.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
madsonicboating  
Posted : Thursday, 14 March 2013 11:37:56 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
boys if ya shit in ya own nest, ya gonna get shit on ya feet. Simple.

Treat it like flopping ya dick out in public. If ya gonna get growled at or chased ya probably shouldn't be doing it. And if ya get cheered on then wave it around some more and go hard!

The detector I meant. You sick bugger!

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Thursday, 14 March 2013 11:39:16 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1864hatter Go to Quoted Post
I have detected a lot around Dunedin and I never detected on a playing surface when it was dry. And I never detected on them when it was moist and there were people around. Also on the rare occasions when I did actually detect on a playing surface it was moist and virtually dark. I know for a fact that when people are around it will draw the wrong sort of attention and may get detecting banned altogether. I think its absolutely stupid to throw caution to the wind and potentially ruin it for everybody. If you detect on a playing field in the public eye you better have permission before you dig or you will run into trouble before too long, and rightly so. Also if it is moist and the lawnmower comes along shortly after you have dug your hole they can actully pull out the recently dug plug of grass. I, for one, have asked the custodian of a large public park in Dunedin and been granted permission to detect there.

I think that your words are words well spoken - well written anyway.

You are quite right in what you say and a low profile coupled with seeking permission beforehand does go a long way.
It is also a fact that decent responsible detectorists pick up the rubbish so that when they eave the grounds or park it could be with broekn glass sharp bits of tin and so on

Sadly there are those who will refuse to look at any positive side and get their kicks out of making life miserable for others like the syphilated gormless gutless wonder who whines about Sheldon park.
I dont think it is good for a detecting club to go somewhere like that without express council permission however as it will bring unwanted attention to the hobby.

tonznz  
Posted : Friday, 15 March 2013 12:43:21 AM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
I try to keep a low profile most of the time as I don't want to talk to the punters, so I go in the evenings after all my home duties are done and wander in the gloom in lonely godforsaken areas of town. But I wouldn't pay much attention to rugby or rugby league players and their whining. If they are not beating up people in bars or shooting fur seals in Otago harbour they love the chance to act all shouty. I do meet some characters though. Haven't had a shouty one in a while. One came up to me recently in the gloom was mad as a bucket of snakes and high on medication! Could be the same bloke! Did he have wild staring eye and twitchy hands that gesticulated wildly in the air? Took me 10 min to extract myself from his gibbering conversation! He wasn't dangerous but I couldn't make sense of what he was saying. I just smiled at him a lot and said yes often. He did have a rugby league shirt on, couldn't tell you what club though as I was distracted by a small, what seemed to be piece of bacon stuck in his beard! Made it difficult to focus on the words coming out. I kept thinking "what the hell is that bacon". Bit suspicious also of those of us on this forum saying "I don't do this and don't do that and I kiss this officials arse and get written permission from the mayor before I pick my nose" Bet that never happens. Looters and pillagers the lot of you! hehehe!
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 15 March 2013 1:15:06 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tonznz Go to Quoted Post
I try to keep a low profile most of the time as I don't want to talk to the punters, so I go in the evenings after all my home duties are done and wander in the gloom in lonely godforsaken areas of town. But I wouldn't pay much attention to rugby or rugby league players and their whining. If they are not beating up people in bars or shooting fur seals in Otago harbour they love the chance to act all shouty. I do meet some characters though. Haven't had a shouty one in a while. One came up to me recently in the gloom was mad as a bucket of snakes and high on medication! Could be the same bloke! Did he have wild staring eye and twitchy hands that gesticulated wildly in the air? Took me 10 min to extract myself from his gibbering conversation! He wasn't dangerous but I couldn't make sense of what he was saying. I just smiled at him a lot and said yes often. He did have a rugby league shirt on, couldn't tell you what club though as I was distracted by a small, what seemed to be piece of bacon stuck in his beard! Made it difficult to focus on the words coming out. I kept thinking "what the hell is that bacon". Bit suspicious also of those of us on this forum saying "I don't do this and don't do that and I kiss this officials arse and get written permission from the mayor before I pick my nose" Bet that never happens. Looters and pillagers the lot of you! hehehe!

I can assure you that as a direct descendant of Vikings, I kid you not, plundering and pillaging are inherent characteristics of my genetic make up and this is further verified or testified to by the piles of plunder and ill gotten gains within the bounds of my back yard...and elsewhere.

Nothing wrong with pillaging and plundering.
sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 17 March 2013 10:28:12 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post

Nothing wrong with pillaging and plundering.

agree - as long as its not carried out on a playing field

P.S and here i was lead to believe that those people who are wrecking metal detecting for others in NZ, have been described on various occasions as an individual with a cheap detector digging the parks up & NOT an organized metal detecting group ...............

didn't any of you think it to be a bad idea?

chrischch  
Posted : Saturday, 30 March 2013 9:04:22 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Anyone for a group hunt at the bowling green up the road from me? They only use it one day a week so should be fine. ;)
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
tonznz  
Posted : Saturday, 30 March 2013 10:26:04 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post
Anyone for a group hunt at the bowling green up the road from me? They only use it one day a week so should be fine. ;)

hehehe! I'm up on the 14th! Can you hold out to then?

chrischch  
Posted : Sunday, 31 March 2013 6:33:02 PM(UTC)
chrischch

hehehe! I'm up on the 14th! Can you hold out to then?

Only if you bring the BIG shovel.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Sunday, 31 March 2013 11:59:30 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
hahaha good luck with that guys..lmao.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 1 April 2013 1:01:35 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

is that the one that's got those really old people dressed in white polishing their balls?

if it is - can we arrange a club hunt for the other 6 days of the week?

lifejockey  
Posted : Monday, 1 April 2013 1:24:11 AM(UTC)
lifejockey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I believe they wont let you on unless you have the right shoes though.
Gold Bug Pro and Lots of Hope
chrischch  
Posted : Monday, 1 April 2013 11:23:04 AM(UTC)
chrischch

I think u'd want the running type of shoes ;)
3 Pages<123>