New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

3 Pages123>
sheldon  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 December 2012 10:37:46 PM(UTC)
sheldon

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Stay off Sheldon Park

A couple of weeks ago I happened across a group of approx 8 people fossicking on Sheldon Park, Belfast, Christchurch. They were digging small holes about the size of a dinner plate. I reminstrated with them and asked them to leave and they refused. They have done alot of damage to the playing surface currently used by Touch Canterbury and the Belfast Touch Module and rugby during the winter. How dear they think they have the right to damage public property used by so many people and damaged by a few ignorant selfish individuals. The turfs dug up on the playing surface have since died due to dry conditions or been displaced by other users of the park. So take your hobby to the aproprite place and leave our public parks for the sports that they are designed for. I have advised the city council and in the future the police will be called.
oroplata  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 December 2012 11:34:02 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

This is the 2nd complaint we've had recently. We need to smarten up our act.

http://www.paydirt.co.nz...ark-hunter-rulebook.aspx

DrunkBrother  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 December 2012 5:10:07 AM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
CHCH Boys, could some one go to the park and check out conditions and make some photos of the ground ?
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
simon  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 December 2012 7:35:03 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
i'm surprised this hasn't happened earlier to tell you the truth.

councils spend a shit load and no one can tell me digging up turf these days won't affect the manicured fields of today. no matter how careful anyone is.

perhaps limiting numbers of people on digs to places like this would have helped. no one wants to see a zombie like horde waving detectors in unison.

a stealth operation if it is worth it maybe. but hitting the same spots repeatedly too often may not get too positive a result from angry locals.

Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 December 2012 7:56:12 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
dinner plate size suggests they are using a regular shovel
to dig with.
fiddy40  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 December 2012 10:03:57 AM(UTC)
fiddy40

New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Thanks to Sheldon for the heads up on this totally out of order action by who knows? as Simon say's it is very surprising that this has not come to the notice board before now and it has to stop! This is now the time to start building up a good reputation with local council etc. It will be no good having a moan and hope it goes away, its time for action and that action starts with a visit to local Council and introduce oneself for a start, its called working together. Thanks Oroplata for the rulebook code of conduct it is up to of all of us to act on this. Regards Pete
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 December 2012 10:47:48 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
no one there was using a regular size shovel as for the councel i know a few of us have spoken to them and they dont have a porblem with the majoredy of us...as we do as clean a job as we can..however i have seen one or 2 guys out that arnt a part of the club..one of them do use a full size shovel and the other is a very very bad plug digger..unfortunatly we cant control what every detectorist does...if i meet up with someone that isnt part of the club and i see them diging huge pluges i talk to them and explain that they need to be neater and i tell them about the club as i dont want to see it ruined for us in this city...

The night in question here was a club night hunt and as far as i knw no one was digging dinner plate size holes...this guy come along and told us to piss off like he owned the place and andrew explained that we wernt wrecking the place and even offered to show him the holes being dug...the guy didnt want to talk or have a look he was very rude and just kept walking....
we strive to dig plugs as best we can... i know depending on ground conditions it is sometimes hard to have a perfect plug (one that doesnt crumble on you) but we do our best.

I will however agree with sheldon.. digging on the playing feild itself if it gets used that offten is not a good idea....i havnt been back out there yet myself to see the damage he is talking about but will try and get out there soon to have a look.. if we go to placese like that then we need to stick to tree lines and side lines...then we arnt wrecking the fields....then fields might be better left for winter when they arnt being used..
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 December 2012 1:20:22 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
as for me -I would never dig a play field
the only thing you can do at playfield - is to go with a metal probe rod- like scrw driver and pinpointer for shallow target and pul out without any dig. like fro 1-2$ coins only or possible ring - same as they do in Australia.

Chris, Please revisit the place and give feedback if there are visible pugs.

Regards
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
oroplata  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 December 2012 1:54:48 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DrunkBrother Go to Quoted Post

the only thing you can do at playfield - is to go with a metal probe rod- like scrw driver and pinpointer for shallow target and pul out without any dig. like fro 1-2$ coins only or possible ring - same as they do in Australia.

Good point. Let's face it - most of the shallow stuff it doesn't matter if you scratch it during extraction. I might have a play with a suitably modified screwdriver.
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 December 2012 2:41:34 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nzpoohbear40 Go to Quoted Post
.i havnt been back out there yet myself to see the damage he is talking about but will try and get out there soon to have a look..

Very good idea. This will show if the damage is as great as stated & if so then you will know if it was from the club dig or the actions of a rogue hunter. You will then have a defence if the council takes it further after being reported.

This time of year can be dangerous when plugging in parks as the dry conditions doesn't allow the grass roots to regrow, killing off the top of the plug a week or so later. Some guys overseas take a water bottle with them to water the plug after its been put back but personally I think its better to only dig in these sort of places just before there is heavy rain forecast as I doubt one water from a bottle will be enough. Also agree that the actual playing field itself is a no go area - reckon most of the targets will be around the edges anyway from spectators and gear piles.

expat  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 December 2012 3:57:44 PM(UTC)
expat

Man

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Good points raised here, and certainly reason for some concern. I think its important that the word goes out that Sheldon Park is a strict no-go area. A bad reputation and a few irate groundsmen could mean that we get banned from a lot of our favourite areas. Its also important for us to address the problem of newbies and their big holes, a dinnerplate sized hole is going to get us thrown off of every park in the city. Just a few moments tuition and guidance could reap dividends in the long term.

My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my collection for what I told her it cost me.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 December 2012 4:10:09 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Watering plugs is wishful thinking in my opinion.
It would need at least 1 litre per plug to have any effect and it is not uncommon to cut 80 - 100 plugs in an outing.

As Shilo mentioned timing your hunt with a weather event gives best results.

Happy Hunting Holidays everyone.

MK

madsonicboating  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 December 2012 6:28:32 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
was only a matter of time alright with group hunts being organised.

Ed Harding  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 December 2012 7:32:16 PM(UTC)
Ed Harding

New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: madsonicboating Go to Quoted Post
was only a matter of time alright with group hunts being organised.

I tend to agree with madsonicboating on this one.
Groups look/seem more threatening to the park than 1 or 2 people. There are always people who see any digging no matter how good you replace your plug as damaging THEIR park. Once the council has been contacted by an angry/unreasionable member of the public and highlighted the fact that holes are being dug no matter how good the end result leaves them with the easy option to say "NO" to metal detecting.

My thoughts.

cheers ed

Equipment Whites V3i with a DX1 probe.
Whites BeachHunter 300
XP Deus

digahole!!  
Posted : Thursday, 20 December 2012 1:54:49 PM(UTC)
digahole!!

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Too much attention is a bad thing, especially with something as marginal as detecting in parks, maybe save the club day hunts to the beach, all evidence gone as soon as high tide returns.
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 21 December 2012 9:29:06 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
It could only be matter of time before one person blows it for the rest of us in this country. We hope not. If we had our own set of ethics/rules this will help. Then anyone caught outside of these rules will be personally delt to accordingly thus not affecting eveyone else.
Think before you dig.
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
fiddy40  
Posted : Friday, 21 December 2012 2:01:27 PM(UTC)
fiddy40

New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: creamer Go to Quoted Post
It could only be matter of time before one person blows it for the rest of us in this country. We hope not. If we had our own set of ethics/rules this will help. Then anyone caught outside of these rules will be personally delt to accordingly thus not affecting eveyone else.
Think before you dig.

Totally agree, code of conduct.
Langepoot  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 March 2013 4:47:04 PM(UTC)
Langepoot

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Touch was invented in 1923 in ozzy... took years before it came to NZ.

Sheldon is an old park. Thus, Sheldon was not invented for touch but more for everyone!

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 March 2013 11:35:48 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
The best thing is 'What no one sees dont worry them' as the Gestapo and party poopers are alive and well and some people get their enjoyment out of hunting, metal detecting, gold mining and so on but arseholes get their enjoyment out of making like a misery for everyone else and the best thing is NOT to give these cretinous whingers any ammunition to fire. Group trips to a place like that are not good as attention is attracted to numbers I guess where as one person is a lower profile and less likely to come to ones notice - group hunts are best around say where an old pub was known to exist with the land owners permission then the PC brigade cant say a thing.

Playing fields is a total waste of time and in places like that the side line or in an A @ P showground the ring fence or where the refreshment tent was pitched are 'the'places to look.

The longer it is low profile and the more discrete the detectorists are then the longer it will last.

As for you sheldon - 'I have advised the city council and in the future the police will be called' - what a tosser! Personally I dont go to parks and things but to me people like you who whine and whinge are just self righteous sanctimonious parameciums.
If it is NOT illegal to detect there then the police will give you the roasting for wasting their time and well deserved methinks.

Edited by user Tuesday, 12 March 2013 11:41:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 March 2013 9:30:39 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Metal Kiwi Go to Quoted Post
dinner plate size suggests they are using a regular shovel
to dig with.

or a very large knife & fork lol

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
3 Pages123>