New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 15 April 2010 1:41:06 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi everyone,

Good to see the NZ forums starting to take off :)

I'm a fossicker based in Christchurch so still fairly inexperienced as always a bit more of a mission to get out on a trip not having much in the way of paydirt around here. Got all the toys - sluice box, pans, crevice sucker, and metal detector.

Always keen to hear from anyone else who's interested in having a partner in crime for a weekend as usually a bit more fun when there's a few of you.

Not expecting to hit it rich, but love getting in to the bush and off the beaten track with a mission.

Cheers,
Gavin
kiwisouth  
Posted : Friday, 16 April 2010 1:08:16 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Gidday Gavin

Shame this forum wasn't going I was living in Chch, would have been a happening thing. My wife came from Murchison and I've always had an interest in fossicking around the place even with my Sov on the beaches and parks. My late father in law used to report on the states of the rivers in Murchison regularly and we used to get down to them every chance we visited, which wasn't a great deal. Four hours with little kids in the car wasn't always fun, at least its only two hours away now.
Hope you meet up with someone, I know that there are a few who do detecting in Chch beaches and parks etc, they may be interested in the gold stuff as well

Happy hunting

Dave
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 16 April 2010 3:16:28 AM(UTC)
gavin

Cheers Dave. Definitely think you're a bit closer to the action in Blenheim. Nice spot? I've only ever passed through on the way to somewhere else.
kiwisouth  
Posted : Saturday, 17 April 2010 7:30:22 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
A bit cool in the winter and the NW is as bad as Christchurch but I love the place. Wife misses the shopping but....... Lovely part of the country and since necessity is the mother of invention, I have taken up whitewater kayaking so I can get to different parts of the rivers in Murchison. On;y thing is, I haven't made it out of the pool yet. I can roll pretty neat. btut he rolling back up is the hard part. And where the hell am I going to put my gear in such a little boat. I went over to the West Bank, checked around Quartx Creek whick goes onto Bartletts creek. Supposedly some alluvial gold around but most of the gold is in quartz and years ago, there wasn't much come out of the ground. People lost a lot of money trying to get it out.

Got a book out of the library, Gold in a Tin Dish, history of the Wakamarina Golf Fields. Time to do some more study.

Happy hunting
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 17 April 2010 2:21:06 PM(UTC)
gavin

Awesome idea to use the kayak to get to hard to reach spots! Got me thinking now. Hopefully you can break down a metal detector into 2 parts and stash it inside.

I know some chappy that bought a jet boat so he could access deeper in to the bush using rivers with fairly shallow water. Not sure how much he's used it yet.

Will be checking that book out myself on Mon ;)
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 19 April 2010 10:28:38 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi Guys, Gold in a tin dish is a great book. Lots of reasearch has gone into this. Volume 1 is soley on the Wakamarina goldfield & volume 2 is on the eastern Marlborough goldfields.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Canvas & Gold is another great read on the Wakamarina

UserPostedImage

Happy hunting

JW :)