New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

nztreasurehunter  
Posted : Monday, 14 January 2013 7:34:55 PM(UTC)
nztreasurehunter

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 1 post(s)
OK fellow treasure hunters, I'm going to share a previously highly guarded secret with you all. There are many old schools in NZ that have been closed down in the last 10 - 15 years. Most of them regional, most of them in smaller towns and provinces, and nearly all of them landbanked. This means they are subject to the Waitangi Treaty and as such are administered by the Office of Treaty Settlements. Most of these schools date from the late 1800s and are vacant. Some have been demolished, however the land and grounds are undisturbed. I have had permission in recent times to hunt on these propertys, all it takes is an email to the OTS with an introduction to yourself and what we do. The schools not land banked but still owned by the Ministry of Education are just as accessable with an email to the asset manager in your region.
A couple of rules.
1. Be professional with your approach.
2. Make assurances that no dammage is done and all rubbish is removed.
3. DO NOT ABUSE!.........There may be several schools in your region, start off inquiring only about one or two..........softly softly catchee monkey!
4.Always, always reply with a thank you to any response from them even if its negative. (I've never had a no)
5. Never take for granted you can go to any closed school once permission for the first is given, always get new permission for specific grounds.
Good luck, do your research first and maybe you will find your "Field of Dreams" as I did with a field opposite an old closed down school that had been hosting galas since the early 1900s. I found over 600 pre decimal coins in this field over one long weekend. See my blog for more details..... nztreasurehunter.blogspot.com [Search "Field of Dreams"]
simon  
Posted : Monday, 14 January 2013 8:25:39 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
sounds like you're onto it mate.

the nice approach is def the go.

somehow all my conversations with strangers (tourists generally here) turn to gold somehow. yesterday i had a guy ask if i wanted to detect a similar sort of thing for a client. they wanted to see if there was any gold to be found before development occurred. i then pointed out there would be many more treasures - coins, tokens, tools, anything was possible. also mentioned it might be a good idea to keep any finds quiet as the site has the potential to hold some good stuff i reckon as it sounds like it was the crossroads for nearly anyone heading a certain way, a bit of a congestion point and also an official place of business for a lot of stuff.

i can't let on any more info but i will see how it unfolds. down the track a bit i might throw up a few pics of some of the finds. i don't know about the gold but it will hold a lot of treasures i believe. more than the usual rusty nails and bullets i get around here.
number8wire  
Posted : Tuesday, 15 January 2013 9:43:23 PM(UTC)
number8wire

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 880 time(s) in 425 post(s)
Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post

somehow all my conversations with strangers (tourists generally here) turn to gold somehow. yesterday i had a guy ask if i wanted to detect a similar sort of thing for a client. they wanted to see if there was any gold to be found before development occurred. i then pointed out there would be many more treasures - coins, tokens, tools, anything was possible. also mentioned it might be a good idea to keep any finds quiet as the site has the potential to hold some good stuff i reckon as it sounds like it was the crossroads for nearly anyone heading a certain way, a bit of a congestion point and also an official place of business for a lot of stuff.

i can't let on any more info but i will see how it unfolds. down the track a bit i might throw up a few pics of some of the finds. i don't know about the gold but it will hold a lot of treasures i believe. more than the usual rusty nails and bullets i get around here.

Sounds intriguing Simon. Keep us informed as to what you find.
TEKNETICS T2 SE plus X-POINTER
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
madsonicboating  
Posted : Thursday, 24 January 2013 6:31:57 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
maybe run ads? I had one this week in local buy sell under farmers stuff...just had call from guy who has brought heap of land where , wait for it, an old black smith operated 100 plus years ago. Won't be toooooo much iron in the ground haha oh well I can't wait to see what turns up. Judging from the phone call he's seeing lots of big iron parts and some old glass etc. Shit gets me excited hearing that :)

just be nice, offer beer, spirits and a friendly hello, always respect their property and try and show them what you're doing...most people are enthralled once they see what we find, both rubbish and good stuff.

Dan