New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

GoldenKiwi  
Posted : Monday, 31 January 2011 2:29:54 PM(UTC)
GoldenKiwi

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Heya!

I'm in the market for a cheapish sluice box as my one has been pinched :(

Please PM me with what you have.

Cheers,
GK
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 31 January 2011 3:01:28 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Here's a quick run down of available gold fossicking gear with pricing - http://www.paydirt.co.nz/shop/john-wilson.aspx ;)
GoldenKiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 February 2011 12:55:01 PM(UTC)
GoldenKiwi

gavin wrote:
Here's a quick run down of available gold fossicking gear with pricing - http://www.paydirt.co.nz/shop/john-wilson.aspx ;)

Thanks mate, have seen that but am aiming for something cheaper first if I can.
kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 February 2011 2:26:38 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi there Goldenkiwi, If you are handy with your hands you could make one yourself out of wood. Do a google or you tube search. They arent that difficult to make.

JW :)
GoldenKiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 February 2011 2:40:48 PM(UTC)
GoldenKiwi

kiwijw wrote:
Hi there Goldenkiwi, If you are handy with your hands you could make one yourself out of wood. Do a google or you tube search. They arent that difficult to make.

JW :)

Gidday JW,

I had a go at making one before but as I didnt have the right tools it kind of came out more like a hunk of wood that wasnt effective at all.

I think i'll leave it to the professionals like yourself :)
jase265  
Posted : Friday, 4 February 2011 7:10:00 AM(UTC)
jase265

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
i will try to put up a photo of my sluice box i made, its simple as. i used fence pales 1.2m long for sides an bottom then found some astro turf an car floor mat then went to landfill found a bit of stainless an cut strips yay wide by yay long ...inch high then put in vice bent on a rough 45, drilled 2 holes an screwed them with wood screws to sluice box. i use a drill with drill bit to screw them in faster as takes a while by hand. but it works, at the start i have a bit of mud flap (black) dunno why. when i was at 12mile it worked well, i could see the gold sitting in the riffles, sandfiles are a bugger , i think the key their is to dig as deep as you can, its not easy digging in to shist rock,their must be some good nuggets still in that creek, has anyone got any photos of gold that has been taken from 12mile in the old days/now days would be great to see. also it runs from moke lake?
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Saturday, 5 February 2011 2:31:03 AM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
A m8 of my,n used a home made sluice box for years evry time i saw it i would larf...but if your after a cheap sluice could be the way to go....maybe!...i should have taken a photo of it.
it was made out of alloy about 2.5 foot long & 10-12inchs wide...no widend end just straight with nothing more than some real old carpet and a peaice of chick wire that had been rolled up and jump,d on to make kind of flat stuff,d in there and that was it! all set to go he used it for years and oddly enuf got some good gold with it but i think it had to be good stuff else it mite,v just washed out the end!.
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 5 February 2011 3:12:16 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
GoldenKiwi  
Posted : Sunday, 6 February 2011 1:18:57 PM(UTC)
GoldenKiwi

Cheers Gav, being the cheap bastard I am, I think i'm going to try that corrugated plastic tube sluice :)
madsonicboating  
Posted : Saturday, 26 March 2011 4:55:50 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Hi guys. i have read these forums and looked at a few ideas and then I made this one up...it was all a rush job as only decided 1 day beforee I went to arrowtown that I was going to need one lol...

If you know any engineers (I do), all these parts cost me a box of piss, including the folding of the box (ALL engineers will do perk work for piss :) I simply went through their scrap bin and found what I needed. Also I spent $7 on bolts, nuts and some strong rivets.

I know its ugly, and also I know it's shaped wrong and the riffles are too far at the front but this was a rush job and now I have more time I'm going to re-make it better. In saying that, I have been panning some tiny tiny dust gold from the concentrates that I brought home with me so the mediocre amount I have found is most likely due to digging in an amateurs spot lol...I am learning remember!

Also I used the dreaded loop carpet as it was all I had so I'm going to try a ribbed piece of car floor mat and find some better grate (altho the 2 layers I have used seem to trap a lot of black sand)

So here's "mark 1" LOL
File Attachment(s):
madsonicboating attached the following image(s):
DSCF2454 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
DSCF2456 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
DSCF2457 [Desktop Resolution].JPG