New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Good to go  
Posted : Sunday, 10 February 2013 10:37:56 PM(UTC)
Good to go

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Organised get together for Paydirt members (Oct 2013)

Groups: Registered
Woman

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 12 post(s)
When the Rangitata diversion race was beingbuilt the workers were put up in small huts, im trying to locate exactly where they were and ask permission to hunt the area. It was called Anama camp and Surrey hill where they were decked out. Heaps of families there all in 1 room freezin their butts off is very interesting. So if anyone can help me find the spot where they were would be great. Only other thing i can think of is going for a drive and asking the locals at Anama.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 11 February 2013 2:34:27 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Do you really think that it would be a lucrative place to search? - You must remember that the workers would not have been rolling in money and were there for a comparatively short time - you are perhaps better looking for the sites of old totes at race tracks and look in A&P show grounds where tents were pitched and around the ring fences.
I have heard of rumours of 100 pound in gold sovereigns buried near rabbiters camp at Tabletop Station, and one of the same amount Kurow and another by merest coincidence of 100 pounds as well at Grays Corner but no one has found them and they are merely rumours - I have known of them for forty years but 100 pounds seemed a curiously handy figure! - if there is one for the camp you mention then I would take it with a grain of salt - I am not saying that there is nothing there but I am saying that you are more likely to get far better treasures elsewhere.

Edited by user Monday, 11 February 2013 3:26:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Good to go  
Posted : Monday, 11 February 2013 3:08:53 PM(UTC)
Good to go

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Organised get together for Paydirt members (Oct 2013)

Woman

Thanks for that Lammerlaw thats something for me to think about, wonder if Anama has a show ground lol
Chrispy  
Posted : Monday, 11 February 2013 3:46:49 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 102 post(s)
hey good to go, just be aware that some a & p show grounds are actually privatly owned meaning youll need permission to detetect them. happy hunting.
Good to go  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 February 2013 3:34:41 PM(UTC)
Good to go

Woman

Thanks Chrispy will do i think ive got a bit of a mission finding where some grounds were but am super psyched
cheers
creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 February 2013 7:16:04 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Hey there Good to go. Nothin like being super psyched up for a mission. Good luck, go hard.

Edited by user Tuesday, 12 February 2013 7:17:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: super psyched too

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz