New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

anton  
Posted : Saturday, 16 February 2013 3:22:57 PM(UTC)
anton

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hi guys,
does anybody know something like a list of restricted areas like parks or reserves where digging is restricted?

Shilo  
Posted : Saturday, 16 February 2013 3:41:29 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: anton Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys,
does anybody know something like a list of restricted areas like parks or reserves where digging is restricted?

There is no list of "No Go" areas as such and hopefully there never will be as councils / Govt agencies would list everything they can since its easier to ban then to allow. Instead its just a matter of common sense and respect. For example any private land without permission, highly manicured parks & public gardens, bowling greens, golf courses etc. And historical areas.

For historical areas, you can find out if an area is listed in the Historic Places Trust Registry. Zip to this link: http://www.historic.org.nz/TheRegister/RegisterSearch.aspx and put the location you are thinking of detecting into the search field. This list can actually help in finding sites as well - for example if there is a park outside the boundary of the historical place then chances are there will be some good finds there that you can detect without breaking the law.

LepreSean  
Posted : Sunday, 17 February 2013 2:16:03 PM(UTC)
LepreSean

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Was wondering if it would be considered kosher to detect pathways at old cemeteries that no longer have active burials. I have been thinking of approaching the sextons office and asking if I could have a look after hours, suppose I will have to consider un marked graves etc...But it would be a good idea to look around the vicinity as there is a bit of secondary native bush regeneration
auri sacra fames (accursed hunger for gold)
andy  
Posted : Sunday, 17 February 2013 2:26:32 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 72 post(s)
find yaself a gold tooth
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Sunday, 17 February 2013 2:43:22 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
I think if any of the public saw you digging in any part of a cemetery you may get a a response.
Probably bad. Although I did ask about a church adjacent to a cemetery a while back and was told no.
Part of the reason given was due to unmarked underground vaults and also the likelihood of scatterings in years gone by.
I lost interest - too bloody spooky for me.

:-)

MK

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 February 2013 7:01:42 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LepreSean Go to Quoted Post
Was wondering if it would be considered kosher to detect pathways at old cemeteries that no longer have active burials. I have been thinking of approaching the sextons office and asking if I could have a look after hours, suppose I will have to consider un marked graves etc...But it would be a good idea to look around the vicinity as there is a bit of secondary native bush regeneration

Cemeteries are a great idea Sean but you really need a good detector - gold teeth are usually fairly deep down and small!

I did a detect once in an old cemetery and found that it was really disappointing as I didnt get so much as a half penny. Of course someone might have beaten me to it.

under the bedrock  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 February 2013 7:27:30 PM(UTC)
under the bedrock

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
its pretty obvious where you should not dig.Ask your self should i dig in this park,should i scar the lawn that someone cares for,some people have different levels of guilt,some dig at night with a headlamp,why?
Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 February 2013 8:01:04 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: under the bedrock Go to Quoted Post
its pretty obvious where you should not dig.Ask your self should i dig in this park,should i scar the lawn that someone cares for,some people have different levels of guilt,some dig at night with a headlamp,why?

Not to hide from authorities like some people here think. The main reason to detect in the early hours of the morning etc is to avoid a herd of kids following and wanting any finds or every 2nd person coming up and saying "What are you doing?", "have you found anything yet?" If each person takes up only a couple of minutes of your time it still adds up after 10 or more have asked the same question. I also hit the beaches in the early morning to avoid this same as parks.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 February 2013 8:08:10 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)

I have detected in the late evening on several occasions, with my headlamp where required and I can assure you without ill intent or guilt.
Detecting in the dark is actually quite exhilarating as your senses are much more focused somehow. As for scaring the lawn, gee whiz I think most detecting guys / gals take great care to leave no trace. Well that is the general impression I get from this Forum and most other forums around the world. I feel that detecting is a legitimate hobby and if practised with reasonable care should not cause stress to anyone else.

Well that's my bit said. :-)

MK

andy  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 February 2013 8:12:50 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lammerlaw Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: LepreSean Go to Quoted Post

Cemeteries are a great idea Sean but you really need a good detector - gold teeth are usually fairly deep down and small!

I did a detect once in an old cemetery and found that it was really disappointing as I didnt get so much as a half penny. Of course someone might have beaten me to it.

about 6 foot deep infact lol might need a pi foor that spot hahaha
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
oroplata  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 February 2013 11:54:10 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)
some dig at night with a headlamp,why?

1. Less solar interference.

2. Cooler than 1pm in the summer months.

3. Might be the only time I have available.

anton  
Posted : Wednesday, 20 February 2013 12:03:49 AM(UTC)
anton

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post
some dig at night with a headlamp,why?

1. Less solar interference.

2. Cooler than 1pm in the summer months.

3. Might be the only time I have available.

I would also add № 4. Less annoying people flushed with curiosity.
nafcd  
Posted : Sunday, 17 March 2013 1:20:57 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
from a newbie again. can you fossic in streams that arent under permits but arent classed as public fossicking areas
chrischch  
Posted : Thursday, 28 March 2013 11:37:57 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nafcd Go to Quoted Post
from a newbie again. can you fossic in streams that arent under permits but arent classed as public fossicking areas

Not legally.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Saturday, 30 March 2013 11:24:48 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
Dont know for sure nafcd,but i have a stream 3 minutes away from my place that i pan in right on the town boundry and it doesnt seam to be a problem.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
nafcd  
Posted : Friday, 5 April 2013 11:25:14 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
you lucky bugga. 3 hour drive is the closest for me.