New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
The Hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 May 2013 6:28:29 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Hi Folks

Now here is a golden Fleece. Any guesses as to how many ounces. Clue. Its Beach gold. My first post and just trying out the image function
which I don't seem to have quite right. Fear not. I will get it sorted

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"[img]null[/img][img=UserPostedImage]The Golden Fleece[/img]
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 May 2013 6:35:44 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Gosh.
Impressive if it's all gold.
1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 May 2013 6:39:15 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
If its all gold id be worried about how much ive lost over the end of the box with gold being right up to the end.
If it is all gold then I bet a few beers were had after that wash up.
Oh and welcome to the site!
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
The Hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 May 2013 6:56:27 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Its all gold. And don't worry about what went over the end. Its a stream down table in an old iron bathtub. The concentrate was put through
three times. This is the first run. Beach gold always looks good, after amalgamating the ratio of gold to mercury is Five to one. Thats five ounces of mercury amalgam after retorting gives one ounce of gold. On that table is the concentrate after five days of black sanding.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter" Seems I am not the only Hatter around here.
oroplata  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 May 2013 7:56:27 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Nice! Did you buy that beach claim north of Westport?

The Hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 May 2013 9:13:38 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

My Beach Claim was at Tauranga Bay Westport. Out by the Seal Colony. I sold it quite a few years back. The guy I sold it to just sheperded it.
Then owing to ill health had to sell it. The guy he sold it to, sold it some time in the last year. I did see it on Trademe, and laughed when I saw the price they wanted. It was mega bucks compared to what I got for it. Up around the $40,000 mark. And I creamed all the good spots. A couple of guys from CHCH have it now. I wish them well, and hope they at least get their outlay back. And that is gunna be hard yakka.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter "
The Hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 May 2013 9:31:37 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

A Few pics of my blacksanding days

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

It was a plumbers nightmare. Built everything myself and then worked how to do it. This beach was low grade, but the sand carried gold from the surface to basement, which was about 8 to 12 feet down. It did not have a surface enrichment like most West Coast Beaches.
I pumped around 12 cubic yards an hour. Position the suction head, then just sit in the Landrover and lets it do its work. An hour later just move it ahead slightly.

I call this pic walking the plank. And nope never fell off. And Oh, there was five ounces on that stream down table. Kinda looks like a lot more. But like I said, beach gold always looks good, then disappoints.

UserPostedImage

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
rob  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 May 2013 9:38:28 PM(UTC)
rob

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Awesome picks, great setup

Rob
oroplata  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 May 2013 9:45:09 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rob Go to Quoted Post
Awesome picks, great setup

Yeah. Great post!

Goldie  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 May 2013 10:18:35 PM(UTC)
Goldie

New Zealand

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Love your work! thanx for the post.

Dwayne
The Hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 May 2013 10:35:21 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Here is the early days. The Mark 1 Beach Table modelled on the type used by the Shetlanders at the Nine Mile Beach( Rahui) Charleston.
The wee girl is my daughter, she is 26 years old now, and a Chartered Accountant. My how time flys. The young fit looking guy is me.
And we shovelled the sand then, and that was hard work. But proved the deposit then moved up to the Mark Two model Beach Box and pumped the sand. The plus was I owned a house out there at the Bay, so it was on my back door step.

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 May 2013 12:15:53 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)

Definitely a gentleman and a scholar and that is easy to tell after all you have a Landrover - same as mine! Still got mine - sentimentality wouldnt let me sell it...or maybe I didnt sell it because it died up country and is still there.

Great set up and great photos - always wanted to have a go on the west Coast beaches - got to Gillespies Beach once but only passing through.
The Hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 May 2013 1:36:47 AM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Well Folks. Time I told you a bit about myself and then as time goes by, some of my adventures. I'm now almost 66. Yep time flys when you are having fun. My gold adventure started at about 8 years old when I was a young lad in Reefton, and my Dad used to take me out on his prospecting adventures. Later we moved to Greymouth, and we were partners in a Claim on the the right hand branch of the Waimea Creek. About that time I became very interested in geology. So much so I read every book I could find. And I still continue to do so. At my young age I worked out that to improve my knowledge of gold I had to research, I read every book I could lay my hands on. These books became my bible.

When I understood the principles of geology, I then moved to the history of the gold fields, and even then there was a lot of reading, I did Central Otago, Westland , and the Coromandel.

And then I moved into assaying different minerals, by using the blowpipe. I just loved the concentrates, so many heavies that needed to be identified. The yellow one was easy, the other grey and pink or black bits mystified me. But I got there. Its hard to find some of the chemicals I used now. Like protochloride of tin. In those days I was still at school and was doing chemistry and had the run of the Lab and the back room where all the goodies were stored.

Every weekend was spent exploring, visiting mine sites, batterys. Water races. A tip here, if you want to follow a water race, take a tent and a sleeping bag and sum tucker. You may be gone a few days.

Sadly at age 24 I had to move north for employment reasons. But no problem. I had the Coromandel to delve in. But then it was marriage and a baby. I still kept doing my research. Can you ever do enough.

DID YOU KNOW THIS. In the Blackball Creek, of course at Blackball. A meteorite the size of a large boulder was discovered laying in the creek bed. It was like the size of a Austin Mini. There was even a photo of it. And a group of ooh ahhas looking at it and prodding it. Now that was about 1953 when no value apart from scientific value was placed on a meteorite. I found the reference in an obscure NZ geology book at the Hamilton Library. And yes chip samples proved it was a genuine meteorite. Now we all know they are metalic in nature, so a Detector will really sing on a lump that size. I have no idea of where in the creek it is. But in the photo doing some prodding were pony tailed members of the fairer sex, most likely from the Canturbury University Geology Course, and they weren't wearing back packs. So it cant be to far up the Creek. And in those days they didn't have heavy lift helicopters, and that thing would have weighed a few ton. And as I have said there was no value on them space balls then. My guess is, it is still laying there. And many a prospector in search of gold complacently walks past it.
Not knowing that perhaps a fortune has just by passed him. A tip, an adventure. I am reminded of the SAS motto. " Who dares wins".
Need I say more.

I do tend to ramble at times, however I have many more tales to tell. I got sick of black sanding, it was boring, so moved into dredging.

I much prefer getting my gold in this size

.[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

Yep I moved into underwater dredging.

More storys to come and a few tips along the way. And no I am not full of myself. Guess its just time I shared some of my adventures and knowledge that I have gained over the years. Imagine if I was laying on my death bed surrounded by a bunch of you guys. You see I do know one place that is so rich, an undiscovered gold field, not large but its there. Not forty miles from where I sit. Prick of a place to get to.
Gotta tramp over about two kilometres of bog and moss. And its in a National Park. So its a stealth mission. And the gold is wheat sized and the old guys never found it. And that is for real. And just as I say, " The gold is at, frig then I go aaaaarh and that is my last breath.

One of these days I will tell you. But that day will be when I choose. How did I find it, well, actually I havent been there, well yet. An old guy about 70 years old told me. It was his father that found it, whilst he was possum trapping back in the depression days. In the same watershed a geoligist mate of mine was doing random sampling for minerals. He found a very brown glassy piece of rock, which was hydrothermically altered and looked interesting. He sent that of for an assay and it came back at several ounces to the ton.

He was unable to find the source of the rock, and beleived it was either glacier borne or bought up the coast by the Northerly currents. Beleive it or not good sized pieces of jade/greenstone can be found at Charleston. And the source as we all know is the Arahura River just north of Hokitika.

Anyway I sent a mate in, to check the old guys story out. He came back with wheat sized gold, crisp angular stuff. And he found quite a lot of the brown glass rock. Which incidentally my geoligist mate said if you try to smack it open wear safety goggles. Its so hard when it shatters, it kinda explodes. My mate dropped a rather large boulder on one of the ones he found. And he said a spark jumped out and fizzed for about four seconds. Almost like a flint. Thats the pressure of the actual compound of the rock. My mate did several pot holes, its a papa type bottom in the creek which has very high sides. He only found one place where he could climb down. He did about three trips and came out with around an ounce. Then they National Parked it, and beside he was my dredging mate, and we were getting far more dredging.

I being me with the generous nature, told an Aussie guy about it. Loaned him my backpack dredge and off he went. He was tough that aussie, what two clicks across a bog. He came back with about half an ounce. And when we looked at the maps. Well buggar medays, he didn't get to the right creek. He dredged in the one before it and still got half an ounce. And it was the wheat gold identical to what my dredging mate got.

Hard to get to now as the Forestry roads are probably stuffed. Since they stopped the milling quite a few years back. And in some places on the way in,in the papa are fossil remains, baby sharks teeth and bones.

Oh dear dear me. I have said to much. My Mum always said I had a big mouth. And didn't know when to shut it. But its got to be worthy of some young fit guy to sneak in and do a bit more. Its a bridge to far for me.

gold hunter  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 May 2013 3:32:24 AM(UTC)
gold hunter

United Kingdom

great story and well worth a book, so write it and all those years will live on forever and the charm of the golden pot at the end of the rainbow, leave a cryptic map in the book to find the treasure and long after u are gone people will be looking and searching for the mother load .
rob  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 May 2013 10:14:05 AM(UTC)
rob

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gold hunter Go to Quoted Post
great story and well worth a book, so write it and all those years will live on forever and the charm of the golden pot at the end of the rainbow, leave a cryptic map in the book to find the treasure and long after u are gone people will be looking and searching for the mother load .

Great idea, keeps the guessers guessing and the dreamers dreaming
The Hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 May 2013 12:05:01 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Hi Again Folks.

Cryptic clues. I like that idea.

But I will make it easy. I'm not a Carrot Dangler. Well I don't dangle for to long.

In what 1969 Film did Hank Marvin sing Wandrin Star. And the Movie was about gold.
Add an extra g.
This is a bit like " Who wants to be a Millionaire"

overdog  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 May 2013 12:09:04 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Ooo I know this one! Paint your wagon!

And it was Lee Marvin (",)
The Hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 May 2013 1:14:03 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Damm that was quick.
So now I will have to fess up.
Waggon Creek. Map Series NZMS1 S30 1969. Flows into The Four Mile Creek also known as Tiropahi. Charleston area.
The early miners missed this place. It is not in any historic publication and beleive me I have read them all.
The early miners were looking for and mined inland beach leads. This gold occurence was so far back in from the coast they missed it.

And it did not feed any gold into the Four Mile Creek that I know off. The reason being, and I have been there. Is that one goes to where Waggon Creek flows into The Four Mile. On going upstream in Waggon Creek for several hundred yards, well Waggon Creek simpley disappears.
Yep it goes underground (tomo) that area is limestone(Kaarst Country). We tried to go overland to find where it re=emerges. But no GPS in those days and the bush is quite thick and Kaarst Country is a bugger to traverse. Thats why my mate came in the long way, across the parkhis.

But on looking at the attached photo, easiest way would have been to walk up the Four mile for some distance then travel overland to Waggon Creek. No Google Earth then either. Take a rope, as there are not many access points according to my mate. And there are splendid quite large garnets in the creek (Red ones). Its situated in Paparoa National Park, but pretty remote and not exactly the jewell in the crown for DOC. All has been milled out and it is regrowth. Why didnt I pursue it, well to get a dredge in and fuel would be a helicopter job. And helicopter pilots are a little weary of National Parks and illegal missions. Its a pretty flat lying creek, so whether you could sluice or not, I don't know. Cradle or Banjo would be the best I guess. My mate did say, it is quite gorgey and a lot of it, is bank to bank with water. So best to take a wet suit. How much gold in there. Well who knows.

There is or was a four wheel drive track that takes one to almost the junction of Waggon and The Four mile. Guess its still there. DOC may have converted it to a walking track. Not sure on that one. It runs off the main highway and is signposted.

Hope I havent started a gold rush. Its more of a summer expedition. I was also informed by my old fellow, that his father also found splendid
large quartz crystals on Old Baldy, right on the snowgrass line. That is the mountain at the back of this watershed.

All I ask is that if somebody reputable on here visits it. Well let us know how you got on.

Cheers Trev aka "The Hatter"

andy  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 May 2013 2:01:02 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 72 post(s)
cool!sounds like the creek that time forgot!
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
Free Fossicker Forster  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 May 2013 2:45:18 PM(UTC)
Free Fossicker Forster

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Great reading and I'm certain I felt a thump thump thump and a sharpening of the senses for Waggon Creek. Also been trying to sing that song like Lee Marvin ever since the Juke Box at Coffs Harbour, but the throat just canny take it. Thanks!
2 Pages12>