New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

overdog  
Posted : Tuesday, 22 March 2011 1:08:19 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Just wondering... what percentage of big nuggets (and we are talking 1 oz plus here) in the past few years have actually come from the river as a pose to other, dry ,methods(high banking,detecting etc).
Just wondering if my lack of success recently is because I'm too focussed on wet methods?

Dog.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 27 May 2011 2:34:22 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
overdog wrote:
Just wondering... what percentage of big nuggets (and we are talking 1 oz plus here) in the past few years have actually come from the river as a pose to other, dry ,methods(high banking,detecting etc).
Just wondering if my lack of success recently is because I'm too focussed on wet methods?

Dog.

From what you say it almost appears that you expect big nuggets - I knew one guy who mined hundreds of ounces of gold but his biggest was only 1 1/2 ounces.

In my opinion gold nuggets are where you find them but it is hard to say what percentage would be in rivers etc as opposed to dry land...they are just where you find them. I think many of the rivers are well and truly worked while much of the land is yet to be worked - I guess that metal detectors have bought in a new dimension so my guess and its only a guess is that more large nuggets are likely to be found high and dry now. I look at a spot I go and in a bank beside high tussock we get small nuggets so I assume that there will be more under the tussock and that is guaranteed never to have been worked as the bank marks where the old timers knocked off not because the gold ran out but because they had to stop mining due partly to lack of water.
In the last few years the three nuggets over an ounce I know of personally were found in the water and all three were multiple ounces.

Edited by user Saturday, 28 May 2011 8:05:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

overdog  
Posted : Friday, 3 June 2011 3:27:14 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Not really expecting big stuff, more hoping than anything!But I guess thats what keeps us going back for more-that and being out and about in some incredible places in Godzone...

Tell you the truth I dont mind if I dont come home with much (or even anything!),bit like fishing or hunting in that respect I guess!