New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
andy  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 September 2013 3:50:17 PM(UTC)
andy

Groups: Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 72 post(s)
the same bodily function happens on other body parts to.....
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
oroplata  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 September 2013 4:27:10 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Yeah, but at least that part hasn't had slippery sunscreen slopped all over it. At least not at the beaches I detect when my kids are with me.

andy  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 September 2013 4:37:46 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

lol
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
jimmy bedrock  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 September 2013 5:55:43 PM(UTC)
jimmy bedrock

New Zealand

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 104 post(s)
thanks. I hunt mostly parks and racecourses. I have done a few trips to the beach but no luck yet.When I've been out I mostly stuck to the dry sand.so is low tide down by the water the best place to go?
Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 September 2013 6:27:39 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Sometimes. Keep an eye out for any low points on the beach (cuts, ripple troughs, darker or harder sand) and also any signs of erosion. These are potential gold mines. Browse back through this forum for tips on beach hunting to give you some ideas. The wet sand and in the water itself is normally much better then the dry because in the water is where most people loose jewelry and the sand is constantly moving thus exposing new finds. But you have to learn how to read your local beach to know where and when is the best time to hunt it.

Gotta use that waterproof AT Pro to its full potential!
andy  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 September 2013 6:33:34 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

i wonder if this wild weather is having some efect on the beaches?been some wild winds here in rotorua for a few days!
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
creamer  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 September 2013 9:34:40 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jimmy bedrock Go to Quoted Post
thanks. I hunt mostly parks and racecourses. I have done a few trips to the beach but no luck yet.When I've been out I mostly stuck to the dry sand.so is low tide down by the water the best place to go?
Dont forget the high tide line, plenty of finds there if the sand is not too deep. If unaccesable, hit the low tide line for a buzz.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 September 2013 9:58:12 AM(UTC)
Shilo

And something that is prudent at the moment: After a storm like we have just had, head down to the beach and keep an eye out for areas where drains and runoffs have washed out deep channels into the dry sand. These can cut down to 1-2m in depth and any jewelry and coins dropped in that area are now laying only a couple of inches deep at the bottom of them. Got my sovereign from exactly this situation so its well worth skipping work to have a look! :)
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 September 2013 9:58:43 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Edited by user Wednesday, 25 September 2013 9:59:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Double up of post

jimmy bedrock  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 September 2013 10:40:38 AM(UTC)
jimmy bedrock

New Zealand

nice. Was your sovereign in good nic? it must of been in the sand for 100 years. I didn't think you could find old coins and things on the beach that's kol
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 September 2013 10:53:58 AM(UTC)
Shilo

The sov is a 1958 one so not that old, but on the same beach and day I also found a 1844 1/2 crown (different washout) and my oldest coin a 1806 penny was also found on a beach at a different time. These were from Waiheke Island which was populated in the 1840's - 1860's, so any beach close to a town of age would hold the same. Like nowadays the old timers also flocked to the beach to enjoy them on summer days to have picnics etc. When coins are buried deep in beach sand they are in an anaerobic conditions and since there is no oxygen they don't readily corrode despite the salt content of the sand. Its the shallow coins that corrode fast so if they are buried quickly after being dropped they can be in better condition then dirt finds. Of course the sov wouldn't corrode anyway being gold. In very deep cuts and spots of erosion the sand you dig up smells foul (anaerobic).

By the way the sov rings up exactly the same as an old 20c coin on the AT Pro, in fact that I was sure I was digging one up until I saw the glint of gold. So never ever ignore a 20c signal! :)
jimmy bedrock  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 September 2013 11:03:08 AM(UTC)
jimmy bedrock

New Zealand

awesome I mite go for a beach hunt today. I've found 3 half sovereign's at an old racecourse.1862 63 64 They came up 65 on the at pro.(same as a lead head nail).I dig every thing there.so you got the ring as well good stuff.

Edited by user Wednesday, 25 September 2013 11:03:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: i suck

andy  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 September 2013 1:54:30 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

the gold i found the other day gave a 65/66 on ATpro!
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
jimmy bedrock  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 September 2013 5:24:06 PM(UTC)
jimmy bedrock

New Zealand

just got back from the beach. I couldn't get the GB down on the wet sand it kept chattering away and I couldn't find any targets nothing:( it was sweet up on the dry sand but no good down by the water. I turn the sensitivity down to 3 bars and still couldn't balance on the wet sand and middle sand .I tried changing the frequency as well. I found 1dollar up by the sand dunes. I got 21 dollars at the park next to the beach so wasn't all bad.
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 September 2013 6:32:59 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Sounds like there might have been some black or mineralised sand around? The AT Pro works great with salt but falls over with mineralisation (this is where the AT Gold wins but it can't handle salt). Normally with mineralised sand my (old) AT Pro worked on the dry just fine but wouldn't GB on the wet.

All beaches are different in how much black sand they have, you could try manually setting the GB and changing the frequency might also help a little bit. But if it still plays up then it might mean changing beaches. At least you don't live in an area where they mine the sand for iron ore just up the road like I do! :)

jimmy bedrock  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 September 2013 7:05:32 PM(UTC)
jimmy bedrock

New Zealand

yes I could see a lot of black sand. Its happened every time I've been out there. The GB would be high and low at the same time. We have a lot of stone beaches around Hawkes bay do the same rules apply as sand beaches? Thanks for all your help:)
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 September 2013 7:47:28 PM(UTC)
Shilo

You should get better GB on the pebble beaches as there shouldn't be so much black sand around. Same things apply as for sand - look for low points i.e. cuts, washouts or just a spot that is lower then the surrounding areas. Also like sand try to avoid any areas with a lot of seaweed or floatsom about since these are spots that are building up.

By the way if you do plan on hitting the pebbles then I recommend either getting a coil cover else coat the bottom of the coil with Plasti-Dip or spray on tape. These are available at Bunnings in the electrical department. Although the coil is solid epoxy it can still wear thus coating it will avoid any damage.

Andy - Plasti-Dip is whats on the bottom of yours, might need renewing every 6 months with that pumice sand.
andy  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 September 2013 7:51:14 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

yes i think i need to do it now as i forgot it was diped an when i got home i seen it all peeling of from swinging to low like i used to with my ace lol!
the stones and glass at that spot were realy jagged!
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
2 Pages<12