New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
Shilo  
Posted : Sunday, 2 June 2013 12:37:53 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I've noticed a few more AT Pro users out there so thought I would just pass on some tips on getting the most out of it for the new users.

Standard Mode - Forget it!
Don't use it, this mode is just a way of dumbing down a detector that is already easy to use. Its like putting a 80km speed restricter on a V8. Only use Pro Mode. If you are a beginner then the sooner you learn Pro Mode the faster you will get up to speed, don't handicap yourself by taking the "easy" option of Standard.

Notching out for Discrimination. Again forget it!
Yup you will hear all the pull tabs, bits of foil etc but there is nothing wrong with hearing the junk. Notching out works on the VDI of the target, but the problem with this is that sometimes a good find can have the same VDI as a piece of junk. By notching out that VDI you will not hear, see, or notice that the coil has passed over a potential find.

Instead of relying on the number that pops up on the screen, listen to how the target sounds. In Pro Mode the tones can tell you a lot about the target and gives much more information then just a VDI number. The classic example are gold rings - you have probably heard the saying "dig all targets" this is because gold rings can commonly id the same as pull tabs. But in Pro Mode as you pass the coil over a beaver tail pull tab you can hear a longish tone followed by a very short blip (or the other way around depending on the direction of the swing), thus you can be 80% sure it is not a gold ring. I say only 80% sure because an engagement ring with a large gold setting protruding from it can make the same sound, but that's detecting. Also if the beaver tail is folded over then it will be single tone.

But the main problem with Notching is that you remove any possibility of finding a good find that has been masked by a piece of junk. To effectively discriminate by notching you have to remove 2 more notches on either side of the junks VDI, this means that if a good find is beside or below the junk then you will not hear any thing that sounds "suspicious" or different. I find the best setting is Custom with nothing notched out and Iron set to 34. I use this setting for all hunting now.

Pro does not mean Professional
The Pro in AT Pro means Proportional. This refers to the sounds it makes as compared to the single ding of Standard mode or the Ace line. This proportional tone is what makes the AT such a good detector and you should learn to listen to what it is saying. Yes I have already said this in the section above - but it needs reinforcing. For example when hunting in a reasonably clean area and you hear a very faint hollow sounding tone that repeats on each coil swing- dig! This target may not even show up as a VDI on the screen - just a very faint echo sound. When this happens I know that there is a very deep target that the machines processor has ignored because the return signal is too weak. Most of my AT found beach gold has been this sounding target. Learn to listen!

Your AT Pro in the Salt
Again and again I read on forums about how the AT Pro is useless on a salt beach or in the salt water. These posts are always written by those that have never used an AT Pro on the beach! Yes multi-frequency machines are better and will detect deeper but the AT Pro is not far behind at all and I have found some fantastic finds with mine in the salt and these at depths that have amazed me.

BUT the big secret in getting the most out of the AT on the beach is GROUND BALANCE. Yup in caps because GROUND BALANCE means everything to the machines performance. There are 4 zones of a beach where ground balance changes by a drastic amount: The dry sand, the slope between dry and wet sand, the wet sand, under the water. Each of these zones requires redoing the ground balance.

Because of this it is best to work a beach doing each zone separately. I normally zigzag like WWWWW along the dry sand, then do the same to the slope on my return, after that zigzag back along the beach on the wet sand and if getting wet - the same in the water on the return. This saves having to ground balance every few minutes if zigzagging from sand dune to water and back up.

Once you know the beach you soon learn the Ground balance numbers that represent each zone of the beach. This has the advantage that you can quickly manually set the GB when changing zones instead of having to pump the coil.

Don't hesitate to turn down sensitivity
It is so tempting to rev the AT up to full speed and hunt with maximum sensitivity. But you will never need to hunt with all the bars showing- its just not worth it. The sensitivity bars on the AT are not a even scale. For example having half the bars notched out does not mean that you will only get half the depth - instead you will still be getting 75-80% of the maximum depth. This difference reduces as more bars are added and the last couple of bars only make a 1-2% percent difference to the depth of the machine, this is only about 5mm if that.

So there is nothing wrong with turning down sensitivity. Instead use the sensitivity to control any falsing. Falsing to those who don't know is when the detector is ringing up signals that do not repeat with each swing of the coil. Turn up the sensitivity of the AT until you start to get this falsing then turn back down by 2 bars. This will give you maximum depth and the most accurate vdi's and tones.

The Iron Audio button
This can be a pain if on all the time but it is very handy. I normally have it off but if I come across a target that sounds a bit iffy then I will turn it on for a pass of the coil. This is a good way of uncovering those sneaky rusty bottle tops that sometimes ring up as a clear and true tone.

EMI
There are only a few things you can try for reducing Electro Magnetic Interference. First thing is to scroll through the frequency adjustments until you find one that has an effect (Press Pinpoint button then + or - to choice one of the 4 frequencies). This only works sometimes - for example my backyard has high tension powerlines going over the top and F4 works here but on a beach where a faulty air con unit was putting out EMI it has not effect. Next lower sensitivity until the interference reduces, and finally if you can change to a different coil.

Other Tips
Rechargeable batteries are well worth it. I just use Panasonic batteries and a charger that I picked up from Countdown & these have lasted for over 2 years. After each hunt I stick them back onto the charger and leave them there until next time out.

Beware of the battery holder. Because of the design of the AT Pro, when removing the batteries the holder can easily fall out and smash especially if the detector is standing up at the time. But the holders are easily replaced for only a few dollars, Jaycar and similar electronic suppliers hold them in stock. I have also stuck a bit of electrical tape and written UP on one end. This tells me which way around the holder goes in with only a quick glance.

Once every few months I take the shaft apart and give it a good clean out. It is surprising how quickly it can seize up especially if water hunting and sand grains etc are floating around. Unscrew the headphone and coil connectors as well to give a clean. A spray with silicon over the metal parts help avoid corrosion.

Don't scrub the coil when swinging. The coils actually work better and depth is improved if there is a cm or so of air gap between them and the soil, keeping the coil off the ground also avoids scratches or damage. I have gone further and coated the bottom of mine with Plasti-dip since I now mainly hunt over pumice sand which is worse then sand paper.

Ok that's about all I can think off at the moment. If anybody else have any more AT Pro specific hints or tips - lets hear them!
sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 2 June 2013 11:04:03 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 1:00:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
treeman  
Posted : Monday, 3 June 2013 1:05:39 AM(UTC)
treeman

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
This is a great post for me and i can't thank you both enough.
cheers and beers. at pro learner. 'treeman"
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 3 June 2013 10:51:56 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

The ground balance trick will work for all VLF detectors but beware there are drawbacks.

Ground balancing is the process the detector uses to identify and remove the effects of any minerals in the soil - in other words tuning the machine to ignore the natural minerals and make the finds stand out. A ground balance number that is higher then the mineral content (positive) means the machine starts to treat the ground mineralisation as a target and some finds will be masked (covered up) by the soil mineral content. A lower number (negative) means the machine discriminates out the ground mineralisation and will loose sensitivity and depth.

By the way this is one of the main reasons why a machine with adjustable ground balance (like an AT Pro) can reach deeper and is more sensitive then one with a set ground balance (the Ace series). A machine which also has automatic tracking of GB (Etrac, V3i etc) is even better because it self adjusts to any small variation in mineralisation which a user would not notice.

Most machines are already programmed to be slightly positive in their ground balancing to take advantage of the added depth this brings. You can adjust this further to have the following effects:

A positive ground balance = more sensitivity to lower conductors (i.e gold items)

A negative ground balance = more sensitvity to higher conductors (i.e silver or copper coins)

But beware: How effective these GB adjustments are depends on that particular ground you are currently hunting. It is very ground specific! If you use just one number to deduct or add to your GB (like 5) then chances are you are going to end up either loosing depth or masking targets. The only real way to know amount to deduct or add to the GB is to bury a target and using trail and error.

If I hear a faint deep target I adjust the GB +/- until it becomes clearer, personally I have found the best amount is only 2 or 3 on the AT Pro but this will vary with what sort of ground is being hunted. I also only use GB adjustments after I have already hunted an area with a normal GB to see if I can pick up anything I missed on the first go around since the chance of masking or loosing depth with an incorrect GB is just too high.

Edited by user Monday, 3 June 2013 11:21:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 3 June 2013 8:37:07 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)

Edited by user Sunday, 11 August 2013 1:01:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
andy456  
Posted : Saturday, 21 September 2013 10:54:41 PM(UTC)
andy456

Albania

I really like your way of expressing the opinion and sharing the information.
andy
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 22 September 2013 12:25:15 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Great info Shilo. One day i invision myself stepping up to an At Pro or Gold. I like your theory on hunting all metal mode so you know/and can hear what is down there. Only in this mode will you get a true reading of what is under the ground.
Anyhows, Im looking forward to my first go on one.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Shilo  
Posted : Sunday, 22 September 2013 1:12:36 PM(UTC)
Shilo

The AT Pro doesn't have true All Metal but at least the variable tone in Pro Mode allows you to hear the differences. Non-variable tones means relying on the detector read out and putting your faith in the designers / programmers more.

The skill involved in detecting with the '80's analog detectors still applies today: Learning how to read the Size, Shape & Sound of the target. The difference today is that some models restrict this (by only having a single tone) and others give so much information on the screen that users start to rely on the detector instead of their skills. Once set up for the ground I rarely adjust the settings of the AT Pro (my norm is Pro mode custom, iron 35, sensitivity down 2, no discrim notched out) since the sound and sometimes a quick glance at the VDI tells me all I need to know. Same with the V3i despite it being able to tell me what the person who dropped the target had for breakfast that morning!

Unfortunately I now live in an area where the AT Pro won't get used :( as there is too much black sand here for it to cope with, but hopefully Andy can now experience its Midas touch! Worked out the other day that it has paid for itself 5 times over. The ATX next hopefully! :)

Edited by user Sunday, 22 September 2013 1:13:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

andy  
Posted : Sunday, 22 September 2013 1:24:49 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 72 post(s)
haha Im hoping the good gold karma remains with this ATpro lol a young jedi i am still!lol.
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
Guardian  
Posted : Sunday, 22 September 2013 6:53:41 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I find that when I'm in a really trashy area I use the iron audio on all the time so I can listen for the clear signals lots to process but it seems to work better for me, I prefer it over the clipping you get when notching stuff out.... Don't like notching unless night hunting.

Good luck Andy they are excellent machines!
jimmy bedrock  
Posted : Monday, 23 September 2013 6:31:22 PM(UTC)
jimmy bedrock

New Zealand

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Thanks for the tips.
so what numbers do you guys dig from? im a bit lazy and only dig 65 and up.
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 23 September 2013 7:45:34 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Originally Posted by: jimmy bedrock Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the tips.
so what numbers do you guys dig from? im a bit lazy and only dig 65 and up.

You will not find much gold if you only dig that high up!

If on a beach or in a non-trashy area then dig all targets that aren't iron. You soon learn what should be trash and what could be a good target so as the trash number increases I start to dig less "should be trash" targets. In very bad areas (like around picnic tables) I only dig the clean sounding clear tones who's VDI is not the same as pull tabs or foil caps, but in a clean area I still dig those just in case.....

You will also miss some silvers only digging the high numbers as well. I have found plenty of silver 3 & 6p's in the low 40's and florins in the 50's. Relying on the detectors ID to tell you what is a good target means you are assuming that the GB is perfect and that all the finds are shallow. It also means that you are relying on some software programmer in Garrett to know what is best for you and the area you are detecting. The best piece of software a detector has is located between the ear muffs :)
jimmy bedrock  
Posted : Monday, 23 September 2013 8:13:36 PM(UTC)
jimmy bedrock

New Zealand

kol thanks for the advise ill go out tomorrow and start digging some lower targets. The ground is packed with pull tabs, there are targets everywhere.
andy  
Posted : Monday, 23 September 2013 11:29:13 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

i picked up my ATpro today and went for a quick 15 minute hunt in the harbour at kawhia on the low tide first target was a crusty coin second target was a gold pendant!paying for its self allready!sweet.cheers again shilo!
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
chrischch  
Posted : Monday, 23 September 2013 11:49:42 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Nothing wrong with that Andy! Good sh1t!
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 September 2013 7:34:59 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post
Nothing wrong with that Andy! Good sh1t!

Yes there is something wrong with that! It was my detector in my neighbourhood!!!
GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrr............ :) LOL

Nah, very happy for Andy & it is good to see the AT go to somebody as keen as he is. Won't be your last gold mate!

andy  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 September 2013 10:09:08 AM(UTC)
andy

Australia

hahaha poached ya town mate ol!cheers!
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
jimmy bedrock  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 September 2013 2:07:47 PM(UTC)
jimmy bedrock

New Zealand

hi so I just got back from a 2 hour hunt digging everything that was a solid clean signal. I got about 50 pull tabs and the same in foil, got about 20 5 and 10cent coins and a few little charms. didn't come across any gold. it was a lot of digging for not much.Is this what I have to dig to get gold rings??am I on the right track?
Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 September 2013 2:34:11 PM(UTC)
Shilo

You got off easy! :)

Land hunting is always less profitable for gold then a beach because the light targets are not sorted from the heavy items, thus you will dig a lot more junk before finding gold. Gold can vary enormously with its VDI right from the low 40's (or even below in the case of chains) up to the mid - high 60's. A lot will be around the same as pull tabs and since modern pull tabs sound so clear you have to dig them to find gold. Another large proportion of the gold I have found is in the same range as an old 20c piece so I never pass up digging those as well.

Unfortunately the hard yards have to be done to find the riches, but your brain will soon tell you "that is most likely a pull tab" or "that sounds like a pull tab but something about it is different" If I think there is a slight difference then I dig just in case. Also the old style pull tabs with the ring and tongue can make a distinctive sound with the AT Pro - you will hear a clear tone then a slight "tick" if you sweep it from different directions. This is the coil sounding off on the ring then picking up the tongue, because the 2 parts are so close and joined it almost sounds like one solid signal but with a slight difference. Of course I have found a 18ct diamond solitaire ring that sounds off the same but 999 out of 1000 it will be an old pull tab.

By the way the above only works by using Pro Mode, forget that Standard even exists on the machine and stick to Pro. Digging all solid or good sounding targets is really the only way of learning to hear any difference between junk and good finds.

Edited by user Tuesday, 24 September 2013 2:36:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

oroplata  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 September 2013 3:16:02 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

And rings are very easily lost off fingers at the beach. The ring is fitted to a hand that is at normal temperature. When the hand hits the frigid waters off New Brighton beach, the finger diameter reduces, and rings that usually do not easily budge, suddenly become loose.

2 Pages12>