New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

cosseyluke  
Posted : Tuesday, 29 March 2011 1:12:55 PM(UTC)
cosseyluke

Groups: Registered

Hi all.

My Dad and I will be going to the West Coast this weekend to do some gold panning and
we were wondering what people think about Slab Hut Creek and Nelson Creek?

We are having two sluice boxes built and are wanting to give them a good first run XD

Cheers,

Luke

cavey  
Posted : Sunday, 15 May 2011 6:54:32 AM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi Luke

How did you guys go up slab hut and nelson creek i have never had any luck up nelson creek but have found good colour up slab hut and its an awsome place to stay me and a mate stayed up there one xmas and where getting gold in every pan full had a go with a home made sluice box but not much luck as was the first time i had used one but always good fun.

Rock on cavey
sprocketjockey  
Posted : Monday, 23 May 2011 5:15:02 PM(UTC)
sprocketjockey

Man

Both places are great to have a go and learn a few of yha own tricks, and both still have a little bit of gold left if you find the right spot. Hope your trip went well.

Sprocketjockey

Edited by user Monday, 23 May 2011 5:20:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 May 2011 5:10:28 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Your mention of Slab Hut Creek brings back memories of y last trip there - just after Easter about five years ago - I was in the river across form the camping site when I got stung by a wasp and looking up right beside me a wasp nest in the bank so I grabbed a rock and went chonk right into the entrance to block it up...now that was a mistake and needless to say I had to beat a hasty retreat leaving my gear in the creek until it was near dark when I could get back to retrieve it...I wonder if the nests still there with the rock jammed into the entrance... but not blocking it entirely so they can still get in and out?
madsonicboating  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 May 2011 6:31:40 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Lammerlaw wrote:
Your mention of Slab Hut Creek brings back memories of y last trip there - just after Easter about five years ago - I was in the river across form the camping site when I got stung by a wasp and looking up right beside me a wasp nest in the bank so I grabbed a rock and went chonk right into the entrance to block it up...now that was a mistake and needless to say I had to beat a hasty retreat leaving my gear in the creek until it was near dark when I could get back to retrieve it...I wonder if the nests still there with the rock jammed into the entrance... but not blocking it entirely so they can still get in and out?

LMAO see its times like THAT that you should be filming hahaaa...even if you don't win funniest home video at least a few of us can have a giggle :)

Is slab hut any good during winter does anyone know?

MSB
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 May 2011 6:39:03 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
madsonicboating wrote:
Lammerlaw wrote:

LMAO see its times like THAT that you should be filming hahaaa...even if you don't win funniest home video at least a few of us can have a giggle :)

Is slab hut any good during winter does anyone know?

MSB

I dont know about the middle of winter in Slab Hut creek but there was once a time when I used to dive in Central Otago rivers with a foot and more of snow on the bank! As for Slag Hut Creek and a camera - I do believe I recreated an instant that last occurred 2000 years ago when I crossed the river to get away from the wasps!