New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 3 April 2011 12:32:37 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi all,

I've been getting frustrated using the Crown Minerals Permit Map when researching potential locations.

So... I decided to try and create a slightly easier map to use using Google Maps as a foundation. I've exported all permit details that regard gold and have made them available at http://permitmap.paydirt.co.nz.

Clicking on a red area will give details about the permit. Zoom-in to see the smaller permits that reside within the larger permits!

Just a quick mash-up I put together. Let me know if you have any ideas for it, and if I get some spare time I may improve it.

Enjoy,
Gavin

Edited by user Sunday, 3 April 2011 12:33:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

simon  
Posted : Sunday, 3 April 2011 5:30:01 PM(UTC)
simon

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
gavin,

nice work on the mapping.

i used to look at the crown minerals site but eventually got sick of it as it was too slow clicking back and forward between windows on it. it didn't work too well with a mac computer either.

are all of these gold permits or are some for gravel extraction and the likes?

geez there's been a real rush on new permits round these parts. the buggers eh? i don't mind the guys that take a claim and actually mine it but some of these new ones look like they are taking whole rivers and blocks of the mountains.

in all my exploring i have only ever seen one claim actually marked, and only seen one other with people actually working their claim.

seems like these are the new speculative investment.

i notice there is a claim on most of the shotover? many people i have talked to over time down here have said the shotover below skippers had a 50 year moratorium on mining, after the last mining crowd blew up many of the rapids that the rafters go through.

simon
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 4 April 2011 2:53:19 AM(UTC)
gavin

Hi Simon,

I think most / all of the Prospecting Permits actually cover multiple minerals. If gold was in the list it's included on the map. I may make a filter for permit type and status if the map is popular enough and I can find a bit of spare time.

Kind of hard to know if mining permits are actively worked - there's one on the West Coast that I know some guy works most weekends when the weather allows, but you'd never know wandering past mid-week or a weekend he's not there. I only bumped in to him as he saw me bush bashing nearby and shouted "Oi, claim jumper! I've got your registration!" - then when he saw my metal detector he was a lot more friendly and said "oh, is that all you've got - you might have better luck over there" :P Was quite a nice chappy once got chatting to him - think he thought me and my mate were trying to sneak a dredge in to the bush.

I should imagine there is a lot of claims that aren't getting worked though.

Gav
stressless  
Posted : Monday, 4 April 2011 3:51:41 AM(UTC)
stressless

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks Gavin

Good quick and easy map to use!

Cheers
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 4 April 2011 6:44:18 AM(UTC)
gavin

For those that prefer a bit more detail and the ability to search for place names, streams, creeks, etc. here's a version laid over a topo map:

New Zealand Gold Permits Topo Map - http://www.topomap.co.nz/NZTopoMap?v=2&ft-id=649908&ft-q=SELECT%20geometry%20FROM%20649908
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 17 April 2011 3:45:39 AM(UTC)
gavin

This view is probably a lot more useful to most of you:

New Zealand Gold Mining Permits Topo Map - http://www.topomap.co.nz/NZTopoMap?v=2&ft-id=649908&ft-q=SELECT%20geometry%20FROM%20649908%20WHERE%20TypeCode%3D%27MINING%27

It shows only the mining claims. I'll add a filter to the actual permit map to allow viewing like this when I get a bit of spare time ;)

I've also added a link from the claim info popup windows - it will take you to the detailed info for the claim on Crown Minerals own website.

Enjoy,
Gav ;)

Edited by user Sunday, 17 April 2011 2:12:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 17 April 2011 2:11:56 PM(UTC)
gavin

Ok, been playing / refining a little more...

Here's all the mining permits that are "granted" - actually active rather than just submitted etc.

http://www.topomap.co.nz/NZTopoMap?v=2&ft-id=649908&ft-q=SELECT%20geometry%20FROM%20649908%20WHERE%20TypeCode%3D%27MINING%27%20AND%20Status%3D%27GRANTED%27
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 22 May 2011 3:27:47 PM(UTC)
gavin

Just updated the permit map - http://permitmap.paydirt.co.nz/

You can now apply filters to data to show different permit types and their status. Should make it a little more useful ;)
overdog  
Posted : Sunday, 22 May 2011 5:01:56 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Good work there Gavin.So does this show EVERY claim,company and personal?
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 23 May 2011 7:57:02 AM(UTC)
gavin

I believe so - it's the data Crown Minerals supplies when I search for permits relating to gold. It's always going to be a little out of date though, but I'm hoping to refresh the data monthly. You'll see at the top that the page that the data was last refreshed 03/04/2011. I'll update this date anytime I refresh the data.
Eagle  
Posted : Monday, 23 May 2011 2:36:14 PM(UTC)
Eagle

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Nice work again Gavin.

S#%!@ theres lots of new ones lately....gonna be running out of places to go soon.

For the cost of one & associated gear I am pretty sure a lot of people are dreaming if they think they are going to get there money back, or better still make some money.Especially some of the river claims, they have been hammered for the last 30 years.

Good luck to them.

Eagle
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 23 May 2011 3:13:47 PM(UTC)
gavin

I'm gutted - there's a spot I was having a scratch around on and it's just been claimed - I'm certain they'll make their money back. I also notice that a few people seem to be trying to sell claims on Trade Me around the $50k mark - so perhaps that's the other method - huge mark-up on onsale. Well, I assume it's a huge markup - pretty depressing if not!
simon  
Posted : Monday, 23 May 2011 4:39:29 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
gav, yeah a lot of new claims, many that i know of seem pretty much a wate of time - does look like there might be a few speculators out there trying to make a quick buck on a useless(?) claim. still, we all know there are a few worthwhile ones out there - they're the ones not for sale.