New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 29 June 2013 9:05:29 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi guys and gals,

I tend to just stomp around in some old trainer type footwear when on gold missions but want to get myself some decent boots now that will take some abuse.

Any recommendations for some footwear / materials to keep in mind that will survive some abuse, being frequently wet wading through rivers, and will keep my feet pretty comfy? Just curious what people out there prefer.

Cheers,
Gavin
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Saturday, 29 June 2013 9:32:35 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Heya Gavin,
You would not believe my simple solution with Gumboots! (same you can do with waders)
I put Nice (very nice) insoles off old ecco shoes and i wear double socks - normal and wool over first pair.
It keeps my feet VERY warm even at 1 degree and i can walk and dig for 4-6 hours no probs.

That is just mine 20$ solution :-)

But obviously you need a better way if you do weekend trips.

*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
Shilo  
Posted : Saturday, 29 June 2013 10:01:24 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
For tramping I've got a pair of the older design Stoney Creek Greywacke hunting boots that I have found to be extremely comfortable and hard wearing. But like all quality tramping boots they are a bit more expensive then gumboots or trainers. Good boots are a must though as they give a lot more ankle support when clambering over rocks etc.

With wet wading I reckon there are to ways of handling it: 1. Just say bugger it and get boots that are fairly porous and quick drying or 2. Have all the materials as waterproof as possible to stop the water getting in. This one is a bit of a problem as water will always get in! The best boots seem to have some system or other where they are waterproof but water can migrate its way out through the materials (Goretex etc) so your boots dry out after a while when they do get wet.

If you are planning to work in the rivers more then tramping too them, I would recommend looking at some fishing boots like these. Most fly fishing boots are quick drying but more importantly have a softer rubber sole that gives more grip on rocks in the stream beds. The more costly ones are also fairly good tramping boots.

simon  
Posted : Saturday, 29 June 2013 11:25:28 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Depends what type of distance and places you are dealing with. generally i find leather hiking boots to be no good against sharp rocks as they get cut up, especially once wet from crossing water.

I've found the best for steep detecting is cross trainers. great grip with vibram soles. haven't whacked my ankles or anything. used to stick to ankle height boots but found they restricted foot movement on the steep stuff.

a lot of the time i use muck boots - neoprene lined gumboots. these are great for winter as they isolate your feet from the frozen ground. great in the water too - good protection against rocks. only downside is the shin high ones are a bit stiff when climbing steep rock and can be slippery once the soles wear down.

i don't use steel caps as they are so heavy. it's hard enough walking steep terrain. and the muckboots come in steel caps but they are heavy enough without the added weight of the steel.

when i started out as a summer fossicker i used sandals. soon upgraded the merrells to some keens - they had good toe protection but were also good for catching loose pebbles.
NUGGY  
Posted : Sunday, 30 June 2013 12:02:43 AM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I also like the muck boots or any good neoprene topped gumboots. I also have a pair of Hi-Tech boots that handle being soaked very well, and give better ankle support in rough conditions or long distance. Redbacks don't like being worn in water, and dry out in a different shape to what they should be.
Never wear steel caps for tramping - one pair I had turned their toes up literally once they'd had a good pounding in a creek, and tried to cut off my toes. I ended up hobbling out in bare feet. Another pair of steelcaps were so cold that I had frost bite symptoms on my toes when walking for a few hours in light snow up in the Lewis pass - the steel conducts all the warmth away from your toes - layers of skin peeled off, but it all came right eventually. NUGGY
zimbo  
Posted : Sunday, 30 June 2013 11:19:06 AM(UTC)
zimbo

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 18 post(s)
hi gavin i use these for every thing, and have had the same pair for over 5years.
http://www.skellerup.co....ns-gumboots/4x4-marathon
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 30 June 2013 1:37:16 PM(UTC)
gavin

Cheers for all the feedback guys - very much appreciated!

I'm currently using old Merrell cross-training shoes myself, but the river and gravels tends to start destroying them pretty quickly. Got through a fair few pairs of old Merrels this way now.

Gum boots are a nice option - but I'm looking for something that are a bit more suitable for hiking in to the middle of nowhere with. Sounds like a lot of people may use them for this - but I'm keen for something a bit more traditional tramping wise. And I always tend to have to wade through some water deep enough to flow over the top at least once every mission.

Interesting regarding steel toe caps - sound lethal! Not the best option when out with the sensitive GPX 4500 either I should imagine :P

Looking like I might be shopping for some non-leather boots that offer some good grip and are made to get rid of the water a bit quicker. If they can take some abuse and so will last a while I don't mind spending a bit more on some.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 30 June 2013 1:54:56 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Iv got a pair of size 9 Meindls id consider selling i got the Meindls for tahr hunting theyv had little use i live in my gummys they are still all the rage down here...even up town;) so dont really need the boots..
Al Bay  
Posted : Sunday, 30 June 2013 8:18:49 PM(UTC)
Al Bay

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
A pair of dive boots would be great for wading around in streams as I find them ideal on the beach except when it's hot

Would be comfy this time of year in the Southern regions as up north this time of year they are ideal
Minelab E-Trac
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 1 July 2013 8:06:25 AM(UTC)
gavin

I'm already wearing neoprene socks when stomping about - they make a big difference! Not sure how much foot protection some dive boots alone would give my poor tootsies from rolling boulders though.
NUGGY  
Posted : Monday, 1 July 2013 4:27:19 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Give the Hi Tech boots a go then - reasonably priced, good sole and ankle support - had mine for over 5 years and only used them for walking/wading in creeks, carrying loads, they handle being wet then dried often, and they are still good. Dont know which model mine are but well padded - not much leather on them. NUGGY
latch  
Posted : Monday, 1 July 2013 5:54:34 PM(UTC)
latch

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
agreed i usually buy hi tec's there great for tramping and exploring never let me down
fiend hard and find all
kiwikeith  
Posted : Monday, 1 July 2013 6:12:22 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi gavin
I wear blandstone work boots for the amount of walking I do which would be at least 150km per 10 days in the bush in and out of rivers boots wet every day put on the boot dryer every night. not to badly price round $250. I find they are lasting about 10 to 12 months
I did have good boots once they lasted a good 10 years I would wear them whenever I went hunting about once a month lol

the old trusty buller gummies very good but a bit slippery in the west coast bush cold in the winter time and you get sore toes when you kick rocks

everyone to their own

cheers keith
Mahuta  
Posted : Monday, 1 July 2013 6:52:04 PM(UTC)
Mahuta

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Mate I don't go past the magnum army boots ,good price light but sturdy,excellent ankle support,they dry quick with the thinsulate inner and they wear in incredibly quick ,because they are so high you have to go quite deep in the water to get wet and gravel etc doesn't get in easily ,have a look on trade me ,the good ones round a 100 bucks
Gold is where you find it.
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 1 July 2013 7:37:56 PM(UTC)
gavin

Cheers guys - very much appreciated - always good to get a few brands to go look at. Always nice to get some recommendations from people who have used the boots in anger :)
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 14 July 2013 4:35:26 PM(UTC)
gavin

While I was in Melbourne I came across some some Lowa Zephyr Mid's in an army surplus store. I don't think I've ever worn anything so comfy, so am giving them a go. Been getting lots of crazy good reviews online from trampers and military types so hopefully they live up to expectations!

Just ordered some from the US - http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/zephyr-gtx-mid/3105854185/4/?Type=M

Tactical! :P

Edited by user Sunday, 14 July 2013 4:36:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Boar Hunter  
Posted : Thursday, 29 August 2013 6:46:09 PM(UTC)
Boar Hunter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have a pair Snowbee Rockhoppers that have steel spicks in the sole real good grip,sold to fishman for wading rivers .
Kiwi218  
Posted : Thursday, 29 August 2013 7:17:06 PM(UTC)
Kiwi218

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Try the army surplus shop they have a good canvas jungle boots
Boar Hunter  
Posted : Thursday, 29 August 2013 8:21:42 PM(UTC)
Boar Hunter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
yes they take a lot to beat used to use them fishing good in the rivers.
chrischch  
Posted : Friday, 30 August 2013 12:26:58 AM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kiwi218 Go to Quoted Post
Try the army surplus shop they have a good canvas jungle boots

Is there an army surplus store here in chch since the quakes? Kiwi disposables was a good shop but is gone.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
2 Pages12>