New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

zimbo  
Posted : Monday, 25 April 2011 8:21:50 AM(UTC)
zimbo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 18 post(s)
hello fellow diggers was wondering where i can buy some mercury, i got a whole lot of fine gold in black sands, wanting some mercury to collect it.
auldrider  
Posted : Thursday, 12 May 2011 5:33:01 PM(UTC)
auldrider

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
zimbo wrote:
hello fellow diggers was wondering where i can buy some mercury, i got a whole lot of fine gold in black sands, wanting some mercury to collect it.

You could always try this bloke: http://www.nextstepmining.com/

He has some great ideas regarding using mercury for gold recovery!
I try to learn from the mistakes of other's, I haven't got enough time left to make them all myself!
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 28 May 2011 4:19:57 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
I think that there would be several sources of mercury - I got all I needed from an old stamper battery site, panning the dirt near where the stamper was located so never had any need to buy any but I also purchased chemicals etc for other purposes so heres some ideas.

Your local chemist should be able to get some for you.
Your local high school Lab may be prepared to purchase some for you as they will have access - of course in this Politically correct day and age they may not hold such things like white phosphorous, red phosphorous, mercury etc, etc and another etc but worth a try - do you know any school teachers?
Your local electricity supplier or someone in the know with contacts (excuse the pun) in the sub station as mercury is used on mercury contact switches or whatever they are called.
A pharmaceutical supplier or Medical supplier.
Try Chemical suppliers like Southern Medical Products Ltd or suppliers of Industrial and Technical chemicals.
Laboratory Supplers

Use the yellow pages and let your fingers do the walking as they say - key words will be Laboratory, Chemical, Medical,Pharmaceutical.

If you dont hit paydirt with one of these then theres something wrong!

Good luck though I think it is more good management than luck as it is relatively easy to get...or was...all else failing buy and break ten thousand mercury thermometers or are they banned now as well?

Edited by user Saturday, 28 May 2011 4:24:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified