New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
simon  
Posted : Sunday, 4 August 2013 10:43:43 AM(UTC)
simon

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Got the bug back and went sniping yesterday. had a 2 piece 7mm which is way better than the old 3mm i used to have to use in winter.

So now all nice and toasty - nearly. had to pack it in after 3 hours as lost feeling in the fingers. i'm using 5mm Pro dive gloves with some cheap rubber cotton lined gloves over top for protection. Anyone got any ideas for a better glove? by better i mean warmer. i've tried all sort of gloves over time. pro dive ones are readily purchasable (is that a word?!) here but wear out real quick if you don't have a bulky cheap glove over top. Wondering what other divers use in the cold?

Something else i also know nothing about is divers rash. i'm often not fully in the water. might be moving about some boulders or something but it gets pretty hot in the suit when out of the water and the sun's out. i find i can get a rash from the wetsuit rubbing if in too long. often on the chest, inside of thighs, anywhere it rubs. is there some sort of gel people put on before suiting up? i've tried wearing an undergarment (polyprop) but this doesn't seem to make a difference.

All tips much appreciated.
Shilo  
Posted : Sunday, 4 August 2013 11:11:16 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
You're opening yourself up there with the Gel request.... :)

But Poly's are fairly rough, have you tried cycling tights underneath the suit? ( http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/shop/bike/tights ) These are nylon based and although won't add any heat they are much smoother and "slippery" then poly's, also being skin tight the wet suit won't move them against the skin which is what causes the rash. I've a pair that I sometimes use under the wetsuit and not only saves on the rash but since they have foot loops make getting in and out of the wet suit a lot easier.
overdog  
Posted : Sunday, 4 August 2013 11:40:20 AM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
I have the same problem with gloves-plus the fact they don't last 10 minutes when your constantly moving/fanning gravel and cleaning out cracks.Last pair had the Kevlar fingers but soon wore through.
Also something I came across last time out-my face got swollen after about 5 hours in the mask-I always settle a mask by breathing in through the nose to check for a good seal so I assume the vacuum did something but its the first time I've noticed this... anybody else had this?
1864hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 4 August 2013 3:59:03 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
A mate put me on to a really good fix to stop your dive gloves from wearing out.
You get a glue called Aquaseal and apply it to all your finger tips etc where you wear the gloves out most. Its about 20 bucks a tube and does a set of gloves once. I have worn mine for about 14 days and I havn't got a hole in them yet. Well I lie, I do have a hole in one but its where I didn't have any glue.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
goldstalker  
Posted : Sunday, 4 August 2013 4:40:31 PM(UTC)
goldstalker

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 57 post(s)
to stop the rash get a rash vest lol and bike shorts for legs you wont look sexy in them but you wont get a rash :) lol
The Hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 4 August 2013 7:44:07 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Aquaseal always did the trick for me. Dont buy the cheap stuff, make sure it is aquaseal. A good overglove is a pair of industrial rubber type gloves, the gauntlet type. You can always cut them down. Another good idea is buy a pair of oversize gumboots, that your dive boots will fit into. Diveboots will last forever then. Polyprops did the trick for me, but once again get quality ones, not the Chinese variety. Pantyhose will also do the trick, get the thickest ones you can find. After all you dont want to many ladders in your nylons do you. But they work.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
Guardian  
Posted : Monday, 5 August 2013 9:30:01 AM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
As much as I'd like to tease you about the pantyhose Trev it doesn't seem like a bad idea. *8^)
One of my fish friends (aka an obsessed surfer) Used a rashie which was pretty much identical to my cycling top, made from nylon/elastane. I guess this could also be known as a poly different circles I guess.
Golddigger7  
Posted : Monday, 5 August 2013 11:11:23 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Hey Simon

Stop peeing in your wetsuit, this will stop the rash, LOL :)
Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 5 August 2013 11:20:53 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Golddigger7 Go to Quoted Post
Hey Simon

Stop peeing in your wetsuit, this will stop the rash, LOL :)

Why not - its natures own water heater :)
digger37  
Posted : Monday, 5 August 2013 1:38:54 PM(UTC)
digger37

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
After spending up to $65-00 for a pair of so called 'good gloves' that lasted no more than a weeks dredging
brought some $5.00 gloves from the warehouse blue nylon plastic type stuff lasted up to a month.
Also the surface of the glove is good for picking up rocks etc under water.
Not sure about peeing in your wetsuit...as previously mentioned a good way to give yourself a rash or stuff your wetsuit...I got a peeing pouch thing put in my Wettie sniper 7mm wetsuit allows the pee to escape outside the wetsuit rather than passing around the wetsuit inner....however looks a bit odd!!!!.
Unfortunately if you are wearing a wetsuit up to 8 hours a day etc you are going get rashes......Rawleighs antiseptic ointment helps.

Edited by user Monday, 5 August 2013 1:39:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

overdog  
Posted : Monday, 5 August 2013 6:11:45 PM(UTC)
overdog

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Mate of mine swears by filleters gloves-kind of chain mail thing but not tried em myself... good for cray spines apparently...
garrymac  
Posted : Monday, 5 August 2013 10:20:10 PM(UTC)
garrymac

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi Simon, after a few years of dredgeing , im with THE HATTER on this subject. Ive tried lots of gloves and rocks wear them all reguardless of what the stiching is. Otago cleaning supplies Dunedin sells a large nitril rubber gautlet glove which fits over my Apollo---xtra tough dive gloves--A full season of dredgeing and no signs of wear on either gloves. The rubber gloves cost just 16 bucks. Cut the rubber ones down to the wrist--helps to get them on and off, sorry but no brand name on the glove, if you need , I can post photos on here----Im always keen to help fellow dredgers, I build all my dredges including making my own pumps, check out pass post-----Good luck
The Hatter  
Posted : Monday, 5 August 2013 10:33:56 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
I forget to mention, re the oversize gumboots. You drill holes just above the heel. That way the water drains out when you surface and walk around. Im a size 11 Dive Boot. Size 14 gumboots did the trick for me. The white Fishing Industry ones aren't that dear. And your dive boots will last forever. Plus if you happen to drop a rather large rock on your foot, it dont do much damage. They actually support your feet whilst walking around and underwater. I was never without them. And often I was working at 25 feet with no problems. I do think one day they saved my life. But that is another story I will post one day in Tales of the Golden Buller.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
simon  
Posted : Friday, 9 August 2013 10:03:32 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Thanks everyone for the responses. some awesome stuff.

Shilo: re - wetsuit undergarments:

I've tried a few options but yes, all the poly pro and icebreaker type items do rub. i have found best option at present is get tough and jump straight into a cold suit and get working to warm up. once started don't need extra undergarments. the wetsuit fits and works better without all this i think. just means a toilet stop lets the sandflies have a snack of your torso and arms.
I may get some bike apparel to wear in summer under the suit to stop rubbing. this is when the heat gets you if not fully in the water for long periods.

Overdog: re - gloves wearing out quick:

I don't think any gloves will las the abrasion of sharp schist. i've tried heaps at all prices. best i have found that i can source when needed locally is the Pro Dive ones - the black ones without the stitching in the palms. i found any stitching usually falls apart - best to use ones that have less material components. the pro dive white ones were hopeless. to make them last i buy gauntlet type gloves to wear overtop.

1864hatter: re - aquaseal:

Matt, i've got some Aquaseal right here next to me. was going to use on my old pair of muck boots. i've seen the guys on Bering Sea Gold with white shit over their gloves - was wondering what they were using. will try with some on some old gloves - sure have enough old pairs around!

Goldstalker: re - rash vest:

Yeah, i think i need one for summer. Throw a few boulders around when you're half out of the water but in full summer sun and you get pretty sweaty pretty quick lol.

The Hatter: re - boots and pantyhose:

I've got some Muck Boots. Just bought my second pair. Hate the price but they are great boots. done 3 summers and winters in first pair. great for protecting the feet and lower legs while in the water. and if it's shallow don't even get wet feet with the higher sided "tay" model of muckboot. and the neoprene is good for wearing them to keep warm out of the water too. i do buy them in a bigger size. that way i can fit in them with 5mm socks and a 7mm suit.
I could perhaps drill some holes in my old pair of boots - a great idea. mine fit pretty snug anyway with all the layers of neoprene and all.
You're not the first to mention to me the benefits of pantyhose. a nifty idea. unfortunately i don't have any round and they wouldn't fit anyway.

Golddigger7: peeing in wetsuit:

No, i've never been a wetsuit pee-er. had some urgent moments trying to get out of the suit yes. i think my suits stink enough in my truck without any pee on them. i hear it breaks down the wetsuit stitching too.

Digger37: peeing tube:

Someone did suggest this to me once. might look a bit suss walking out in my suit with such a contraption! also worried about any cold water coming back in. plus wrecking my suit trying to set it up. and i have a few suits now so can't really be bothered setting them all up. i think with my new 2 piece suits i can get out of them ok every now and then for a toilet break. it's just the sandflies - gotta watch what they're biting right!

Garrymac: gloves:

you're the second person that has mentioned this place for gloves. i might check it out. thanks.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 9 August 2013 6:50:32 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
peeing tube I find that after cold water in the wet suit I have to sit down to pee

I did get a small zip put in the front (of course the front) and that means you don't have to much problem until you get something caught

I use cheap gardening gloves $12 at warehouse they last about 4 to 6 days believe me ive tried them all
Golddigger7  
Posted : Saturday, 10 August 2013 10:47:55 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Man
Egypt

as far as gloves go, going to try tripple dipped pvc gloves that have removable liners, so the 3mm wetsuit gloves should fit in those, fingers crossed, and hopefully get some good wear outta the pvc. tried everything, if it got seems they fall apart in 2 - 3 days. If it got kevlar, it wears out in 7 to 9 days. Found that pvc tape repairs prolong the life of the glove, but no one has invented a glove yet that is good with the schist.
gogold  
Posted : Saturday, 10 August 2013 10:54:35 AM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
the fluro orange gloves that keene used to sell are pretty much indestructible. you can get them at a few safety workwear stores in nz, not insulated tho but if you cut the cuff off you can wear 3mm wetsuit gloves inside.
Golddigger7  
Posted : Saturday, 10 August 2013 11:15:16 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Man
Egypt

have a pair of those lined floro freezer gloves, pretty damned good, but just a little awkward with respect to big chunky fingers and using the pliers to pick up the bits of gold :)
gogold  
Posted : Saturday, 10 August 2013 12:25:45 PM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
true, I don't snipe but they are excellent dredge gloves. good protection on sharp rocks
squires  
Posted : Saturday, 10 August 2013 7:22:12 PM(UTC)
squires

anyone tried a steel mesh butchers glove over top a wetsuit glove. I put my wetsuit on in the shower with hand and body wash keeps it clean , my claim is only 400m from my house , biggest problem peeing in a wetsuit is if someone sees you doing it!
2 Pages12>