New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

wright tanks dredger  
Posted : Monday, 5 August 2013 8:41:35 PM(UTC)
wright tanks dredger

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

hay guys iv just brought a gold dredge which has been home made. im very inexperienced in gold dredging and was unsure at what to look for when buying. 1 problem i think i have is with what i think is called the power jet where the water is pushed into this tube by a 2 inch hose. and the barrel it self is 4 inces wide and the hose where all the gravel is sucked through is 2 and a half inches??? does this sound like its been made right or could some one show me the specs on how to make this part for my gold dredge
1864hatter  
Posted : Monday, 5 August 2013 8:54:56 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Normally the power jet is the same size as the suction hose itself. You could sort that out by jetting a 4 inch main hose. I'm not sure how the suction would be affected with your current setup. The 2 inch jet going into a 4 inch power jet seems ok tho.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
simon  
Posted : Monday, 5 August 2013 8:55:23 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Maybe post a pic or two mate. that should give us an idea of what we are talking about.

at the moment my first question would be has this home made dredge actually recovered gold?

i don't want to alarm you but i have seen many for sale that have never been tested, some are hardly completed even.

so a pic should show us what we are looking at.

what exactly was going wrong?

did you get the engine going?

was it sucking water thru it?

if so did it pull the gravels thru ok?
Golddigger7  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 August 2013 10:08:07 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Hey WTD

Im guessing from your discription is that you have a 2 inch power jet joining the 4 inch pipe, which i would call the lifter unit or log. Then what you have is a 2.5 inch hose connected to your lifter unit. This has probably been done for two reasons 1) it possibly improves the suction, and 2) it reduces blockages and or 3) the people you bought irt from where to cheap to buy a 4" suction hose. Post a picture of the dredge as stated above, and we can then check out the setup and whether the motor and pump are the right type to drive a 4' dredge. If they are ok you should be able to fit a 4 " suction hose and have some happy sucking.
simon  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 August 2013 1:51:26 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
pics?

what type of ground were the old owners dredging? i think maybe they were after extra suction power to hit somewhere deepish.

if you are only ever dredging shallow holes you should be fine with a 4 inch hose. i reckon less stuff would get stuck with a 4inch. as long as you have some sort of reduction on the nozzle end this should stop most blockages.

how big is the engine? if suction is no longer any good with 4 inch hose perhaps it would be a good upgrade to fund with some of the gold you recover. a bit more gas consumption but could be worth it.
x-terra steve  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 August 2013 8:14:29 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Hi there WTD,
made a few home made units,
a photo would be a big help to sort out the problem,
Motor HP, lift or psi of the pump output is a biggie, lift X 1.4 = psi,
power jet size where it enters the log is also very important,
its all about balance PSI,Liters PM,
Steve
wright tanks dredger  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 August 2013 10:22:47 PM(UTC)
wright tanks dredger

New Zealand

hey guys i didnt get off work till late im ganna set it up tomorrow and ill get the pics on tomorrow night
thanks
Golddigger7  
Posted : Saturday, 10 August 2013 2:53:33 PM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
what a machine, good to get your first ounce or two, and then start upgrading bits a pieces
jafa  
Posted : Saturday, 10 August 2013 3:43:27 PM(UTC)
jafa

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)
looks good about the only probablum you could encounter would be rocks jaming on the bit you slide your hose onto and possibly the angle of the jetlog if there isnt much suction id look at putting less angle on it it should be about 11 degrees but there both maybe,s it could work fine.