New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 10 August 2013 5:35:23 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
help
dose anyone know anything about these things?
I have heard some horror stories of burns etc want to get back in the water went up last weekend but the ice on the edge of the river put me of a bit I must be going soft

any ideas would be appreciated
thanks
1864hatter  
Posted : Saturday, 10 August 2013 5:46:45 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Pm element111, he has one on his dredge. It works great
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
gogold  
Posted : Saturday, 10 August 2013 6:18:32 PM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
mixing tank and a quick release withing reaching distance are a must, if you have those you shouldn't get burnt.
Have a look on the gold dredging forum theres lots of info on there.
Moonlight Picker  
Posted : Saturday, 10 August 2013 7:10:30 PM(UTC)
Moonlight Picker

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I would love to no two please I,m getting soft to
garrymac  
Posted : Saturday, 10 August 2013 11:16:51 PM(UTC)
garrymac

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)
check out the gas califont systems,they have all the safty valves and features so you cant get burnt
gogold  
Posted : Sunday, 11 August 2013 12:00:41 AM(UTC)
gogold

Originally Posted by: garrymac Go to Quoted Post
check out the gas califont systems,they have all the safty valves and features so you cant get burnt

a few of them also have a safety cut off if they've had continuous running for a certain time period. also a lot bulkier compared to a simple heat exchanger and just more $ for gas etc and possibly extra floatation?

The Hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 11 August 2013 1:52:41 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Keith

Send me a pm if interested. I have one sitting here on a 5hp Honda, you can have a look at. And I can tell you how to make an inexpensive mixing chamber that is foolproof. As you know I live in Westport.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
pc5001  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 August 2013 10:52:02 PM(UTC)
pc5001

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Heat exchangers,great idea but a bit of a hassle I reckon.Insulated hose taped to your airhose creating drag in the current,another bloody hose to deal with,hard to get them as quiet as the factory muffler too. they need water flowing through them all the time as well,you cant turn them off. If the exchanger is mounted horizontally ,it will need to be well supported as they are a lot heavier when theyre working compared to when they are fitted and can break exhaust studs which would be a pain in the arse out on the river. If you had to be on the nozzle 6hrs a day through winter to put food on the table then fair enough,youll already have one. If not.put the money into a good quality 7mm semi dry or a drysuit and if thats still too cold,then its too cold for gold dredging I reckon.Ive made a few over the years,sold the last one to a member of this forum I think,all with the intention of using them but it all turns out to be too complicated...simple is good. Heat exchangers will do nothing for icecream headaches either.

Edited by user Tuesday, 13 August 2013 10:55:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

element111  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 August 2013 11:10:04 PM(UTC)
element111

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I love heat exchangers its like been in a bath all day long it could be freezing on top of the water but you are nice and toastie under it collecting that gold,fun fun

gogold  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 August 2013 11:13:54 PM(UTC)
gogold

Originally Posted by: pc5001 Go to Quoted Post
Heat exchangers will do nothing for icecream headaches either.

you cant have had enough water flow/pressure. a good HWS will have an abundance of hot water, when mines setup theres enough hot water it flows out arms, and neck heating hands feat and head when it escapes my hood it makes a sort of warm water shield across my face.

pc5001  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 August 2013 11:44:11 PM(UTC)
pc5001

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hey gogold,do you have a full face mask? Id love one but man theyre expensive.On motors of less than 6.5hp,it seems you can have a small amount of hot water or plenty of luke warm water,I consider 6.5hp the absolute minimum size engine to supply ample hot water to a diver 6 metres away from the source with the hose floating in cold water.Id be interested to hear if other members can extract more heat from small engines and transfer it to a diver with minimal heat loss.
oroplata  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 August 2013 12:43:46 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Try inserting the hose in those foam floatation tubes that kids play with in swimming pools. They should reduce the heat loss on the way to the suit, and help regulate the water temp.

gogold  
Posted : Wednesday, 14 August 2013 10:41:04 AM(UTC)
gogold

Originally Posted by: pc5001 Go to Quoted Post
Hey gogold,do you have a full face mask? Id love one but man theyre expensive.On motors of less than 6.5hp,it seems you can have a small amount of hot water or plenty of luke warm water,I consider 6.5hp the absolute minimum size engine to supply ample hot water to a diver 6 metres away from the source with the hose floating in cold water.Id be interested to hear if other members can extract more heat from small engines and transfer it to a diver with minimal heat loss.

nah just a normal mask, I have twin 6.5hp tho so I run fastish flow of water and heat it twice I add a slight bit of cold at the mixing chamber just as a safety, my heat exchangers aren't that efficient a good homebuilt 1 with copper pipe would outdo the both of mine.

Ive seen 1 excellent design on a 6.5hp that produced far more hot water then my current system but lost all the plans when my computer fizzed a while back it also had a few loops of copper pipe around the cooling ins of the engine but most of the heat came down to the design for exhaust heat transfer, both my heat exchangers are outve an older cars gearbox oil heat exchanger cant remember what sorta car they were out of but theyre pretty much just a water jacket type setup nothing protruding to help with heat transfer so it could be improved but I haven't used it much anyway so its good enough as it is. a heat exchanger is great for winter dredging but usually river conditions dirty/high are more of a prob then water temp

Edited by user Wednesday, 14 August 2013 10:43:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified