New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Chrispy  
Posted : Thursday, 22 August 2013 9:53:06 AM(UTC)
Chrispy

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Im looking at upgrading my garrett ace 150 to either a AT pro or AT gold. Can any one shed some light on the differences with these two machines and where the best place to buy one would be. 90% of me detecting is for relics and coins in parks but I do now have access to some good gold bearing ground now. What one should I choose???
Cheers.
Shilo  
Posted : Thursday, 22 August 2013 6:00:12 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I haven't used the Gold but have had the Pro since they first came out. I think the main difference is how they each handle mineraliszation and salt:

The AT Pro can handle salt in either the beach sand or the water itself but is only mediocre with highly mineralized ground.

The AT Gold is much better in the mineralized ground but can't handle salt.

There are other differences as well of course but unless you plan on hunting any beaches I would go for the Gold. I got my Pro from Kellyco and only had good service but the Aussies seem to like Premium Texas. Both are from the US as I think the existing Garrett agencies in NZ are way over priced. Best to do a comparision between the 2 (include GST and postage with the US ones).
Guardian  
Posted : Thursday, 22 August 2013 7:57:37 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
If you're not going to the beach go for the Gold

The AT-Gold has true all metal with threshold so is far better suited to gold and park hunting - if it even smells wet salty sand it will false, slight over exaggeration but as soon as you hit slightly wet sand that's it. In completely dry sand it isn't to bad.
The 5x8" Coil takes a fair bit of swinging but in my opinion is much better than the 11" of course it isn't as deep but the target separation is superior and the signal seems more compressed so I find it much easier to tell the difference between a goldie and a bottle cap (V twist tops still get me from time to time).
So what does the ATG not have? It doesn't have notch. It doesn't have standard mode (bell tones). It doesn't have the weight of the 11" coil

AT-PRO
I've been using the ATP more lately at the parks but this is because I'm to lazy to change the 11" over to the ATG
Also since I have been doing a few night hunts ~cringe~ I've been notching so I don't have to check the VDI all the time. Probably missing some good finds but hey at least I'm out there!

From what I've read on other forums it seems very common for ATP users to ditch the 11" coil for the 5x8" being more in favor of the separation than depth - the 5x8" is still pretty good.

From my experience when I started using the ATP my bottle top finds went up with a bang but so did my 1c piece and silver finds, I put that down to the bigger deeper 11" coil hitting harder.
It's a tough choice, both are great machines.... I just like the ATG that tiny bit more but I wouldn't want to part with my ATP either.

Edited by user Thursday, 22 August 2013 10:07:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

goldstalker  
Posted : Friday, 23 August 2013 9:55:17 PM(UTC)
goldstalker

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 57 post(s)
i would get the ATPro and just buy a 5x8 coil as an xtra or beachs are out if you get a ATG, also buy from the usa, in nz they only sell the ATP international, it has different target id sound range, so it has very little mid tone sound range so lots of signals have a high tone, were as the usa version i have just the ATP, has good even range on all 3 sounds low mid and high you know when you have a possible silver target alot easier than the ATP international sold in NZ
foss391  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 August 2013 3:19:57 AM(UTC)
foss391

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I got my Garrett Pro pointer from EBay, the dealer is jtuya, Bordallo Corporation. Free international shipping and they have great combo deals.
www.Bordalloweb.com.
Fast shipping

Garrett AT Pro Metal detector adventure pack with pro pointer. US $764.91
Free international shipping
Garrett Edge Digger
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett Cammo Diggers Pouch
Garrett Tacticial Black Soft Case
8.5'' x11''DD Searchcoil cover

Edited by user Wednesday, 28 August 2013 3:39:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Teknetics Delta 4000. Garrett Pro Finder
Guardian  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 August 2013 2:40:32 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

That's who I use as well, never had a problem with them. Just check the freight, as with the pro-pointers I don't think they do free shipping any more, try and get them to include it if you are getting a detector though.

Just remember to keep a bit a side as customs will sting you with gst.

Edited by user Wednesday, 28 August 2013 7:18:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 August 2013 2:48:04 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)

My virus protector brings that web address up as a Dangerous Page.

Just thought you might like to know that.

MK

Guardian  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 August 2013 3:13:19 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Pretty sure the site is safe but if in doubt you can still go through ebay.