New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

JOEP  
Posted : Wednesday, 11 September 2013 10:54:45 PM(UTC)
JOEP

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Greetings fellow gold enthusiasts. I've had trouble posting an introduction so am trying again. If successful this time I will add details of a couple of small trips I've done detecting in Australia.
Cheers
JOEP
JOEP  
Posted : Friday, 13 September 2013 9:22:39 PM(UTC)
JOEP

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My wife and I have spent holidays over past 10 years in Australia fossicking for gem stones, Sapphire, Topaz, Crystal Quartz, Peridot, Zircon and others. my brother and his wife in Townsville join us on these trips. 2 years ago bro and I bought Minelab 5000 detectors through Bendigo Gold World in Victoria. I found a couple of small pieces of gold during training trip with Bendigo Gold, (thanks Pete). Bro and I have done 2 trips in Queensland. 1 trip last year to Forsayth, Georgetown, where we found several small nuggets. I found 2 nuggets at 1.4 and 2.2 grams. We never found any small bits so were worried we were not using detectors to their full potential. This year we had trip to Clermont west of MacKay. Bro found 8 bits and I found 16 bits, some very small around 0.4grams and up to 1.1 grams. Very pleased to find small bits as, hopefully, it means we won't miss the bigger nuggets down deep. Both trips were to land available for public fossicking.

I'd be very keen to share a trip in NZ with gold enthusiasts, preferably in detector country in South Island. I have panned and used a sluice box in NZ during many hunting trips down south. Also keen to share a reciprocal detecting trip to Australia and can add my small amount of knowledge gleaned to date.
Cheers
JOEP