New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

NECRO  
Posted : Thursday, 12 September 2013 5:44:44 PM(UTC)
NECRO

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So this is only my second post (been a lurker for a while) but have just bought a Garrett AT Gold, and am keen to take it out looking for gold, have already taken it up the Baton to have a play, but no luck (although I did find a couple of little specks with the pan, where the Ellis meets the Baton which was enough to catch the bug) but wondering where else people go to swing a detector looking for gold around this region?
Obviously the goldfields would be the logical place to start... and definitely when time allows going to head up the Wangapeka/Sherry for a look and up to the Nelson lakes, Howard area, and even the Aorere and out towards the Golden blocks/Aorangi goldfield (whilst doing a bit of white baiting over that way) when time allows...
But also wondering about areas closer to home (Motueka) that could be worth a look when time is limited...As I notice there is or has been an exploration permit submitted for much of the area (Motueka valley through to Takaka hill) so this would possibly indicate there is gold around here? and much of the Motueka river being currently under mining permit would also suggest there could be places worth a look closer to home, also noticed in a papers past article they had a mini rush in one or 2 of the small creeks that feeds into the Motueka just above where the Alexander bluff bridge, so wondering if it would be worth a look in places like the Riwaka river (up near the source) or the Brooklyn creek, Graham? river or even Rocky river? I know they were never the site of rushes back in the day but could they be worth a look? I know gold is where you find it...
anyone had any experience looking in any of these type of spots? or just better to make a day of it an go to spots where it is known gold has been found in the past?
x-terra steve  
Posted : Thursday, 12 September 2013 10:09:24 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Hi Necro,
if you are keen to hook up I am do a bit of detecting up the Wakamarina,
Not done any good up the Sherry area meself
Your AT GOLD is a good choice of weapon,
Cheers
Steve
NECRO  
Posted : Friday, 13 September 2013 9:37:07 AM(UTC)
NECRO

New Zealand

Hey yip would love to have a look up there as its an area I have never been before, although I don't know when I will get a chance to head over that way, but definitely keen to try and organize something!
Re: AT Gold, Yip definitely happy with it so far! Air tested it on the fleck of gold I found up the Baton and it gives a signal...albeit a tiny signal, but its a tiny piece of gold!
overdog  
Posted : Friday, 13 September 2013 3:44:28 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Hi Necro-You're doomed now pal-you found some gold and now the fever has set in!
Always meant to have a snoop round the West bank creeks-pulled a small flake out of the Pearse and I've seen a couple of blokes dredging in there so that is worth a go.Had nothing out the Graham but I know someone who has-might pay to give that a better go than the couple of hours I gave it.Tadmor Hill has gold but I don't know what the access is like.Just get out there and learn the detector-you will soon know what beep means what and a bad day in the creeks is better than a good day at work!
Steve is a good man to go out with-just remember to check your battery level!
NECRO  
Posted : Tuesday, 22 October 2013 8:13:13 AM(UTC)
NECRO

New Zealand

Hey was out towards Tadmor/Sherry/Wangapeka in the weekend and got afew specks in the pan (really need to get a sluice sorted ASAP), didn't even get the detector out as I had my son and my younger sister with me, who were having a swim and really wanted them to find some gold so figured panning was the safest option to ensure they got to take some gold home, but was mainly there to have a look around , as I wanted to go up the Rolling River towards Blue and Nuggety creeks, but the river was up and had been in flood recently so couldn't get past the Dart River ford in a 2WD.
On the way back I was trying to find Tadmor hill...I have looked on all the maps and couldn't find anything, although a mate told me it was the ridge the runs to the rivers left beside the Tadmor River? Is this correct?
Any info would be much appreciated.
overdog  
Posted : Tuesday, 22 October 2013 7:40:36 PM(UTC)
overdog

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Hi Necro... if you come up the river from Mot get to Tapawera turn right towards Tadmor.When you get to Tadmor turn right as if you are going towards the Wangapeka and Rolling,the hill you go over just out of Tadmor is Tadmor Hill.
The old timers said that it would produce gold from top to bottom if only they could get water to it(for sluicing).
Worth a shot with a detector and there are a couple of creeks up there...
NECRO  
Posted : Tuesday, 22 October 2013 9:22:48 PM(UTC)
NECRO

New Zealand

Cheers for that, I thought that mite be where it was, will definitely head up there again at some stage but next time I want to get up past the Dart river, although think we are going to park the caravan in Collingwood for a couple of weekends so will go have a look up the Aorere next.
Grizzle  
Posted : Monday, 2 December 2013 1:14:11 AM(UTC)
Grizzle

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hey Necro.. this is my first post (bit of a lurker like yaself!)... I've just got an AT Gold shipped in as well.. bought a few smaller nuggets to test / familiarize myself with it as well... I also have a Gold Cube and an X-Stream hand pump.... basically just getting into low impact prospecting .....any.way, would be supercool to at least share any tips or insights we might have with each other using the AT Gold I'm thinkin so feel free to PM me anytime!.. I'm based in Marahau but plan on using it locally over the bay and also get over the northwest coast / Anatori coast a lot already.. at the moment I'm just researching hard out and talking to a coupla local ex-claim holders up the Aorere and trying to suss the best spots to put my limited time and energy... hey i just got a local book thats just come out as well - "LOST GOLD"... holy sh*t its a good read.. would love to get into that area sometime and try and find that reef, looks like awesome country... sweet runner, Matty
NECRO  
Posted : Friday, 4 July 2014 9:06:09 PM(UTC)
NECRO

New Zealand

Hey Grizzle I flicked you a PM.
Whitebait season is fast approaching so will be heading over to Anatori quite a bit, I noticed in your profile you were an Ambergris broker...any tips on finding the stuff? haha
Stretch0  
Posted : Thursday, 21 April 2016 1:34:09 AM(UTC)
Stretch0

New Zealand

On holiday in Australia and bought a gold pan. living in Motueka and can't wait to search out some gold around my area would love any info. A complete newbie but have succesfully panned a few specks in Australia.