New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Jleyser  
Posted : Saturday, 28 September 2013 2:16:13 PM(UTC)
Jleyser

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hi everyone I am looking at building a gold dredge or getting a dredge built just wondering if there's anyone in the central Otago area that could help or may know of someone cheers Jonathan
NUGGY  
Posted : Saturday, 28 September 2013 6:40:56 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Kiwi JW out of Queenstown could point you in the right direction, have not noticed him on here recently though. Lots of great info and pics of dredges on here if you read back through old posts. NUGGY
pc5001  
Posted : Sunday, 29 September 2013 9:56:16 AM(UTC)
pc5001

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi,Cromwell is a good place to build a dredge.Murdoch Weldrite in McNulty road are well experienced at building gold mining equipment as is Gavin Spencer Engineering in Alex.These guys are building floating trommel plants etc for commercial miners but are still great to help you with your power jet,fold up a sluice box or roll a flare.Try GES in Alex or Cromwell or Blackwood Paykels in Queeny for what hose the local dredgers are using.One thing I gotta say is don`t be temped to get a trash pump,theyre cheap and locally available but if you want a real dredge to perform properly for years,spend the money on a real pump on a quality motor.Keene or Proline,don`t know the current situation with Proline in NZ but Daniel Gerber [Danidor] is good to deal with and will give you solid advice.I`ve built a few over the years and have a little 3 inch on the workbench at the mo,I`m nearby so if you want to have a look or a chat PM me.
webby1  
Posted : Sunday, 6 October 2013 8:09:42 AM(UTC)
webby1

New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
hi mate, ive got 4 dredges here in omarama if you ever passing and wanna have a look 2 keenes and 2 home made cheers
chrischch  
Posted : Sunday, 6 October 2013 7:06:45 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Originally Posted by: webby1 Go to Quoted Post
hi mate, ive got 4 dredges here in omarama if you ever passing and wanna have a look 2 keenes and 2 home made cheers

Hey there, my family are in Omarama and I may be moving down that way. Where's the closest gold? It seems like there's not a lot near Omarama.....is the Nevis the closest?
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
G-old  
Posted : Sunday, 6 October 2013 9:02:12 PM(UTC)
G-old

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 4 post(s)
depending on the money you want to spend ebay has some very cheap pro dredges and the shipping cost is around 900 nz dollars ive not brought a dredge in but a couple of bikes its 6 week wait but much cheeper than here in nz
Oliver123  
Posted : Sunday, 22 December 2013 7:15:42 PM(UTC)
Oliver123

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
How much would one expect to pay for a dredge to be made not including the water pump?
jafa  
Posted : Monday, 23 December 2013 9:20:29 AM(UTC)
jafa

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi
Engineers can be bloody expensive if you wanted a dredge built not including engine or pump you would have to bank on spending around the 2k mark but then of course that depends on what size dredge you want built but if your talking 2 pontoons,frame,flare,powerjet nozzel ,sluice i would think even the simplest frame design youd still be looking around the 2k probably probably more. sometimes your just better off buying a dredge all set to go take the hassle away and pluss even an engineer that has built a few dredges probably dosent have a clue as to how well what he is building works so if you did get 1 built youd probably have wee issues tuning it in if i were you id just buy1 theres always a fe on TM but i would try before i buy as there are some total home built shitters out there .
Gold monkey  
Posted : Sunday, 3 January 2016 9:39:56 PM(UTC)
Gold monkey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just get ya mates to do if for you and pocket the gold
kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 7 January 2016 10:51:54 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gold monkey Go to Quoted Post
Just get ya mates to do if for you and pocket the gold

With a comment like that....I guess you would't have many mates.