New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Merlin  
Posted : Wednesday, 2 October 2013 11:58:15 PM(UTC)
Merlin

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello to you all,

Just want to say great work on this forum and website from everyone, such a great resource and knowledge base for a forum newbie such as me.

Well, about me... Been living down here in Otago for the last 4 years and have decided to take up some less 'extreme' hobbies after managing to shatter both my wrists over the last two years (snowboarding and skating) and being surrounded by such beautiful backcountry and gold heritage here fossiking naturally has taken my interest.
What started off as nothing more than a bit of fun panning in the Arrow one sunny afternoon, has slowly escalated into a quiet obsession to find some colour after my initial great disappointment of not finding the big shiny nuggets that I expected to see in my pan that fateful afternoon (turns out I was 150 years too late!). Little did I know it would take me a further two more years of scratching around on my hands and knees in the dirt to find even just a few specs which happened to be under a rock by the river last weekend.... To say I was overjoyed is an understatement; you couldn't wipe the smile off my face all week! I don't know if everyone else’s experiences of finding their first flake are the same? it was a moment I won't forget for a long time. My friends keep saying I have the fever! Ha-ha
The more I learn about fossiking, its techniques, locations and history the more in fascinates me and clearly the more striking similarities I see it has with fishing (another favourite hobby of mine). Such a game of perseverance, knowledge, technique and skill with a bit of luck thrown in for good measure to get any kind of results, but when you get them much like catching a good fish, the excitement and reward is well worth the wait.

If there's anyone in the Queenstown area that’s keen to meet up and head out on some missions panning, sluicing, detecting or even a spot of fishing or exploring give me a shout. I'm about most weekends and would love to meet up with some like minded people to share some good times with.

Cheers!
Merlin
LepreSean  
Posted : Thursday, 3 October 2013 10:04:43 AM(UTC)
LepreSean

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Hey mate welcome aye, once you start you can not stop, it is a strange affliction, and addictive too. Nothing like sitting by the fire at the end of the hard day imagining what it was like back in the day and getting a wee taste of history and being a small part of it ourselves. Found my first flakes up Gabriel's Gully when I was seven when shown how to pan by a couple of lady's in their 80's and have not stopped. I am a millionaire, just not picked it all up yet ;) Up the Arrow find some bed rock with the vertical cracks, it is usually quite crumbly, pan it all and dig it down to hard rock, there usually some pin head bits in it. There also the panning comp in April along with the Arrow autumn celebrations. Happy hunting aye and luck of the Irish :)
auri sacra fames (accursed hunger for gold)
trigger  
Posted : Friday, 4 October 2013 6:55:55 PM(UTC)
trigger

Man

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Hello and welcome . I will not forget my first bit I was over the moon and I took me as you said some time once you know where to look ull find it. That's when the addiction started :-)
Merlin  
Posted : Saturday, 5 October 2013 12:52:29 AM(UTC)
Merlin

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Lepre Sean and Trigger,

Good to meet you both.

Finding that first fleck is a joy for sure and I think your definatley right that's when the addiction starts! ;-)

Thanks for the good advice, I've not ventured into the Arrow too far but next time I'm up there I shall keep an eye out for some crumbly looking bed rock.

It's so hard to fathom the hardships those early miners endured, I find it bad enough dealing with the damn sandflies! let alone trying to scratch a living, sleeping in some shanty hut, freezing cold with no electric, (no internet!?!), plumbing and struggling to find a decent meal everyday. I'm quite grateful for the progess we've made as a society and for insect repellent! But I do know what you mean visiting some of the old areas, you do get a feeling of what it was like back then. The miners village in Arrowtown is a great example of this and seeing the conditions inside the old huts really makes you realise just how basic everything was back then, consumerism was a luxury only affordable by the rich unlike today. Back then for most it really was just about survival.

I shall definately visit the panning championships next Autumn festival, I missed it last year but the Beer and Pie festival that week is well worth a vist that week too.

Happy hunting to you both!

Merlin