New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Djevel  
Posted : Friday, 11 October 2013 11:07:27 PM(UTC)
Djevel

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
So today I took my 705 out to a park in the city with the standard concentric coil. ground a bit damp sens max managed to gt a faint intermittant tone and dug a 1896 half penny from around 13 inches. Started only digging faint tones and got heaps more old pennies at 11 to 12 inches all around 1900 to 1930. So would getting a DD coil let me go deeper and possibly get older coins and also let me get better coins? (as I assume I only bearly heard the deep pennies because of their larger size)
2014 Finds
Rings - (2 gold) - (2 silver) - (2 junk)
Silver Coins - 25
Shilo  
Posted : Saturday, 12 October 2013 7:35:25 AM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Simple answer: Yes and No.......

The concentric coil has the potential to go deeper then a DD but at its maximum depth it covers less area. This is because it has a cone shaped field and if you imagine a the tip of the cone being a lot smaller then the coil size (base of cone) you can see how easy it would be to miss targets. The DD is more like a blade shape - narrow but the length of the coil almost to its maximum reach and you are sweeping the field through the soil like a wiperblade on a windscreen.

Also the concentric will reach deeper in non-mineralised soil but the DD handles minerals better.

You got your finds today not because of the equipment but because you clicked onto digging the faint targets. I don't think changing coil type would improve this much, but changing coil size will. Standard rule of thumb is a good detector will reach at least as deep as the coil is long, thus a bigger coil will mean deeper targets (but you will get more masking from junk). Reckon you would be better to slow down and overlap your existing coil more listening out for those faint signals.