New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

DiggerJas  
Posted : Saturday, 19 October 2013 9:32:32 PM(UTC)
DiggerJas

Groups: Registered
Man

Hi everyone,
I am new to the Paydirt forum so thought would be good to start off with a brief post to intro myself. I'm a keen hunter/fisherman and diver and have always had an interest in rocks, minerals, and collecting from my Lincoln days and before on the farm where we had old bottles and stuff galore in our riverbed block as a result of historic rubbish dump which used to be upstream.
I have just really got the bug this year and outfitted myself with some pans, sluice box (thanks Daniel G.), a Gold Bug 2 (Thanks Chris at Puiaki, great service!), picked up a cheap 2' dredge outfit which have had a couple of plays with, and recently interested also in general detecting and managed to buy a 2nd hand AT Pro cheap so just learning to use it. I intend to visit the CMD Club as would be great to meet some other crazy guys / lasses for some shared detecting and gold fossicking trips or evenings. I would welcome any posts, and look forward to watching the forum and getting to know members and learning from them. Over and out, DiggerJas
SDC2300, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro-pointer, 4" Keene, hand sluice box, and plenty of optimism!
chrischch  
Posted : Saturday, 19 October 2013 9:38:15 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
You sure got the gear to try all the diff routes to gold! You could come to the Reefton get together on labour weekend. Have you had much luck so far? I try to get into gold country as often as possible but satisfy myself with a bit of coin detecting around the place in the between times.
Welcome to the forum and theres plenty of us here in Chch.
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
DiggerJas  
Posted : Saturday, 19 October 2013 10:02:41 PM(UTC)
DiggerJas

Man

Thanks mate. Yeah, got some gold 2nd trip out, pretty fine. Was over in Melbourne recently and did a one day trip with Bendigo gold. Was quite expensive ($360 incl. GPX5000 hire) but very professionally run. There were 4 people on trip, one lady got a small nugget. Spent second morning looking around the area, had a quick go with my G Bug 2 (there are areas where quartz is all over the ground, unsure if reefs coming out of the ground or dug up quartz) but no luck. Need to give it more time and reckon would be worthwhile. Interestly the guys from the shop said my GB2 wouldn't work in the red dirt, but found the buried practice target easily. Seemed to just need reasonably regular adjustment to ground balance which was the main pain. Worth a crack tho, Cheers!

And thanks for the Reefton invite, would have been great. We are Thar hunting down Twizel way for a week. Taking the pan just in case need to fill in a day or two around Alex!

Edited by user Saturday, 19 October 2013 10:04:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SDC2300, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro-pointer, 4" Keene, hand sluice box, and plenty of optimism!
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 20 October 2013 9:10:37 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Welcome aboard! Best of luck with finding some colour :)

Could be keen for an independent trip to the Aussie goldfields near Melbourne at some pint so will have to pick your brains! One other guy on here was trying to organise a wee trip, but timing was wrong for me unfortunately.
DiggerJas  
Posted : Tuesday, 22 October 2013 12:16:04 PM(UTC)
DiggerJas

Man

No prob.s Gavin. There are heaps of places to go and detecting areas are much more accessible and easy to get to than here. Doug Stone has some great books and maps with areas to detect in - bought his most recent books whilst as over there, they have incredible amount of info on areas including the maps and locations of individual nugget finds for all of Australia.

Are you still looking for a gold bug2 to trial? Give me a call if so, email first to [email protected] Am sure I can help you out,

Edited by user Tuesday, 22 October 2013 12:20:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified