New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 26 April 2010 2:32:05 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
This game of gold hunting , mining, fossicking, panning, sluicing, detecting, dredging etc & what ever else you might want to call it sometimes. Never ceases to enthral & amaze me on all fronts. I got hooked back in '93 & have pretty much just done it all on my own, as in by myself. Made most of my own gear from the top of my head & with a bit Kiwi ingenuity. Thinking I was pretty clever & was the only person to have done so. Well so I thought, until when I hit the net & dicovered that there is nothing new under the sun. It was this passion of gold mining that got me onto & into computers in the first place. Otherwise I would still be computer illiterate. That there were plans out there, on all my ideas that I thought I had invented & was going to make my fortune on. And they were all available to any body for nothing. Like the gravity dredge.
Back in '93 I was sluice boxing away, with that box I have now made into my highbanker/banjo, shoveling gravel thru, as you do.

UserPostedImage

Wishing I had a suction dredge that would be able to suck up every morsel off the bed rock at the bottom of the hole I was getting deeper down into, & the bottom wasnt far away. I was up to my chest in waders & the water bloody cold. All snow melt. I knew with the shovel I wouldnt be able to get everything off the bottom. Plus where I was working was in a creek that was carving its way thru schist/quartz bedrock dropping steeply down a series of waterfalls. At the base of each waterfall is a rock pool carved out over the years from the waters continual impact from the falls.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

You will notice the sluice box set up at the top of the waterfall in the middle of the below pics where I was shoveling material out of the hole into the box. Then realised how deep the hole was getting. I used the pipe to try & drop the water level in the hole but it wasnt big enough to do that. Then the gravity dredge idea was born. These few pics are of my first gravity dredge attempt.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The rock pools being where the gold is hanging out. So I got the old grey matter burning. I didnt want to go to the expence of a pump & motor or the noise of one that would give me away as to what I was up to, & I didnt want that attention or my spot discovered. As it is in a public fossicking area & the use of hand tools only NO motorised equipment allowed. So the idea that I thought I had dreamed up was a dredge set up that runs on the same simple principle as siphoning petrol from a higher container to a lower container with gravity doing the work. Only I used a 2" pipe with some green flexi hose at the top end, like a vacuum cleaner hose & pipe set up. This I use at the top where the hole is that im wanting to suck out.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The 2" pipe runs from there down hill to where my home made sluicebox is with home made headerbox that has an old fridge tray in it for classifing the material to less than 20mm before it carries on thru the sluicebox. Much like a highbanker set up. So any material larger than 20mm just falls out the front. The bonus of pre-classifing the material is you dont need to keep on coming down & check for possible rock blockages in the headerbox or riffles. Plus it improves the fine gold recovery as you dont need as stronger water flow to wash the gravel thru the box as you would to wash thru rocks of say 2".

UserPostedImage

To get the whole thing running, I block the bottom end down in the sluicebox with a tennis ball. Go up to the top end & fill the pipe from the sluicebox all the way up to the top flexi hose with water. Make sure the top flexi pipe hose end is in the water, Usualy jammed under a rock or in a crevice. Then I race back down to the sluicebox & pull out the tennis ball, & hay-presto you have a dredge operating with no noise & no operating cost factor.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Then its just a matter of going up top & vacuuming out the rock pool. You have to manhandle large rocks out of the way plus any other cobbles that wont go up the nozzel. Sometimes it involves ropes & winches to move the bigger rocks but thats all part of the fun. I made an underwater viewfinder out of a 300mm length of 150mm diameter pvc stomwater pipe with some glass siliconed in the end. I can hold that in one hand & view what im doing in the water with the suction pipe in the other. You can sometimes see the bigger bits of gold as you suck em up.

UserPostedImage

Gold found on this attempt

UserPostedImage

Happy hunting

JW :)

Edited by user Monday, 26 April 2010 5:57:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

digger37  
Posted : Monday, 26 April 2010 12:14:00 PM(UTC)
digger37

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Dredging in stalf mode (Excellent!!!) The question is though can a Gravity powered dredge be useds in DOC panning and sluicing areas. That might make the DOC greenie... scratch there heads!.
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 26 April 2010 12:37:57 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Interesting, never come across a gravity dredge before - awesome idea. I would think DOC couldn't get too upset about this one?!
x-terra steve  
Posted : Monday, 26 April 2010 12:39:12 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Great pics JW and very, very cool setup.

For very little $$$ one could have a light weight noise free set up.

I can think of a few places for this covert opperation.

Do you think that if the suction tube was to get bigger in sections it might have a venture effect?

Say starting with two inch pipe then after 5 meters or so step it up to three inch then finish with a four inch outlet.

I might give this a go and post the results.

Keep up the great posts JW.

Hi there Digger37, welcome aboard,

Cheers

Steve

kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 26 April 2010 5:10:35 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi there, When I first set this idea up my aim was to run a 2" suction nozzle. But I very soon found out that that was not going to give any where near the pressure to run a nozzle. You would need a lot more fall & bigger pipework, like they did in the old days to run their hydrolic monitors, to get the required squirt to run a nozzle or power jet. I just ended up using the syphone suction to do all the work. Just like syphoning petrol but on a bigger scale & longer pipe work.
I have done the same thing with a 4" pipe. Works a treat.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

JW
roman holiday  
Posted : Monday, 26 April 2010 7:45:18 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Great idea.... just like emptying the swimming pool. I guess the higher/ steeper your source, and longer the pipe, the greater suction you'd have? Also, looks to me by some of those pics, that the access to some of those sites must be quite challenging.

Edit: I'll be keen to buy one of your sluice boxes and maybe some other tools in a few months time. I'm hoping to start my fossicking adventure this coming summer.

Edited by user Monday, 26 April 2010 7:51:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

louie  
Posted : Tuesday, 27 April 2010 7:32:16 AM(UTC)
louie

excellent stuff JW
Heres a wee piece I saw on youtube last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esN2JFS0QYc
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 April 2010 2:42:38 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi Louie, Thanks for that link. I checked it out. MMMmmmmm. I wouldnt call that a sucessful trial. All he was doing was showing the little bit of suction it had & all it was doing was going in the nozzle & straight back out the end of the nozzle. There was no flexi hose attached to it delivering any material to a sluice box. Had there of been then it wouldnt have had the grunt to push it to the box. I dont think any way.

x-terra steve  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 April 2010 4:09:29 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Yep might thoughts to JW, saw the clip last year any and back pressure would most likely kill the small amount of suction.
Cheers Steve.
louie  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 April 2010 5:42:28 PM(UTC)
louie

kiwijw wrote:
Hi Louie, Thanks for that link. I checked it out. MMMmmmmm. I wouldnt call that a sucessful trial. All he was doing was showing the little bit of suction it had & all it was doing was going in the nozzle & straight back out the end of the nozzle. There was no flexi hose attached to it delivering any material to a sluice box. Had there of been then it wouldnt have had the grunt to push it to the box. I dont think any way.

Yes Jw I put the link up for more the people who didnt understand how it works.For the layman
roman holiday  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 April 2010 6:11:09 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

This layman liked the dea of the layflat hose. I guess this wa referring to the type of foldable hose that the firemen use. Folding/ rolling it up flate, you'd be able to backpack in a lot more hose... and hence increase the pressure/ suction?
roman holiday  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 April 2010 6:32:42 PM(UTC)
roman holiday

Some serious dredging:

[youtube]6s4JRW05m2g&feature=related[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/w...5m2g&feature=related
louie  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 April 2010 7:14:23 PM(UTC)
louie

kiwijw wrote:

Look at the lack of water he is dealing with. I think its a great video to show the principals of gravity dredging
why so negative all the time jw.
kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 29 April 2010 4:29:56 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi, Not meaning to be negative. He is only showing half the equation. He hasnt got the thing sucking up material & delivering it into a box. I know for a fact that with the amount of hose he has it wont work. I have been there done that so I am talking from experiance.
How would you feel seeing that footage & thinking thats a good idea & spend half a day dragging pipes up a creek somewhere, get it all set up only to find it doesnt work. He called it a sucessful trial & he wasnt even doing any dredging with it.....I wouldnt call that negative....just factual.

JW
criticol  
Posted : Saturday, 15 May 2010 12:37:11 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hello KiwiJw,and others too.
Been there, done that senario years ago.Works really well if you can get the fall.
I used approx 10 mtrs of 30 cm poly-ethylene "stiff" water hose, dangled over a 6 mtr water fall into a large bucket filled with larger stones, the falls had large rugged pools at its upper "head" end, which I classified by raking all the rocks larger than say 20cm with my "specially spaced" rake head.
Note: You dont need much fall to create a powerful suction (stick your finger in it and you have to lift it out of the water and some how give it access to suck a bit of air in so as to break the suction and get your finer free.)Suction is a real powerfull force!

Regards---CRiticol.

goldfinger  
Posted : Sunday, 20 February 2011 1:53:21 PM(UTC)
goldfinger

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
kiwijw wrote:
This game of gold hunting , mining, fossicking, panning, sluicing, detecting, dredging etc & what ever else you might want to call it sometimes. Never ceases to enthral & amaze me on all fronts. I got hooked back in '93 & have pretty much just done it all on my own, as in by myself. Made most of my own gear from the top of my head & with a bit Kiwi ingenuity. Thinking I was pretty clever & was the only person to have done so. Well so I thought, until when I hit the net & dicovered that there is nothing new under the sun. It was this passion of gold mining that got me onto & into computers in the first place. Otherwise I would still be computer illiterate. That there were plans out there, on all my ideas that I thought I had invented & was going to make my fortune on. And they were all available to any body for nothing. Like the gravity dredge.
Back in '93 I was sluice boxing away, with that box I have now made into my highbanker/banjo, shoveling gravel thru, as you do.

UserPostedImage

Wishing I had a suction dredge that would be able to suck up every morsel off the bed rock at the bottom of the hole I was getting deeper down into, & the bottom wasnt far away. I was up to my chest in waders & the water bloody cold. All snow melt. I knew with the shovel I wouldnt be able to get everything off the bottom. Plus where I was working was in a creek that was carving its way thru schist/quartz bedrock dropping steeply down a series of waterfalls. At the base of each waterfall is a rock pool carved out over the years from the waters continual impact from the falls.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

You will notice the sluice box set up at the top of the waterfall in the middle of the below pics where I was shoveling material out of the hole into the box. Then realised how deep the hole was getting. I used the pipe to try & drop the water level in the hole but it wasnt big enough to do that. Then the gravity dredge idea was born. These few pics are of my first gravity dredge attempt.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The rock pools being where the gold is hanging out. So I got the old grey matter burning. I didnt want to go to the expence of a pump & motor or the noise of one that would give me away as to what I was up to, & I didnt want that attention or my spot discovered. As it is in a public fossicking area & the use of hand tools only NO motorised equipment allowed. So the idea that I thought I had dreamed up was a dredge set up that runs on the same simple principle as siphoning petrol from a higher container to a lower container with gravity doing the work. Only I used a 2" pipe with some green flexi hose at the top end, like a vacuum cleaner hose & pipe set up. This I use at the top where the hole is that im wanting to suck out.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The 2" pipe runs from there down hill to where my home made sluicebox is with home made headerbox that has an old fridge tray in it for classifing the material to less than 20mm before it carries on thru the sluicebox. Much like a highbanker set up. So any material larger than 20mm just falls out the front. The bonus of pre-classifing the material is you dont need to keep on coming down & check for possible rock blockages in the headerbox or riffles. Plus it improves the fine gold recovery as you dont need as stronger water flow to wash the gravel thru the box as you would to wash thru rocks of say 2".

UserPostedImage

To get the whole thing running, I block the bottom end down in the sluicebox with a tennis ball. Go up to the top end & fill the pipe from the sluicebox all the way up to the top flexi hose with water. Make sure the top flexi pipe hose end is in the water, Usualy jammed under a rock or in a crevice. Then I race back down to the sluicebox & pull out the tennis ball, & hay-presto you have a dredge operating with no noise & no operating cost factor.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Then its just a matter of going up top & vacuuming out the rock pool. You have to manhandle large rocks out of the way plus any other cobbles that wont go up the nozzel. Sometimes it involves ropes & winches to move the bigger rocks but thats all part of the fun. I made an underwater viewfinder out of a 300mm length of 150mm diameter pvc stomwater pipe with some glass siliconed in the end. I can hold that in one hand & view what im doing in the water with the suction pipe in the other. You can sometimes see the bigger bits of gold as you suck em up.

UserPostedImage

Gold found on this attempt

UserPostedImage

Happy hunting

starflash  
Posted : Tuesday, 8 March 2011 1:12:40 PM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
i have seen on a you tube clip, but cant find it any more that showed a gravity dredge with the sluice box at the top end connected to the nossel via a tube of about 3m. the main body of the pipe was creating a vacume in the nossel, but somehow diverting to a sluice close to the top end. ie no sluice at the bottom end of what may be 30m of pipe. ive tried to get my head around it but am stuck. is anyone smart enough to solve this? or am i mistaken
simon  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 March 2011 2:11:39 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
nice setup jw.

i see it all confuses a few.

if anyone wants to learn more on these gravity dredges try googling "gravity suction dredge plans.

its all pretty complex as a decent amount of head is needed, correct diameter and length of pipe etc etc.

a guy mentioned a gravity dredge to me when i ran into him out on a doc site.

considered setting one up but was a bit too public and close to the road end.

i didn't like the sound of leaving expensive pipping etc lying around for some fool to nick or smash, or a flood to deal to it as the area was gorgey with nowhere above floodline to stash anything.

i remember reading about some guy in the U.S. setting one of these up in the middle of nowhere as it meant he didn't have to lug in heaps of fuel for a motorised version. seemed ironic as he then had to haul in shitloads of piping.

it was quite a large scheme. i think the guy had issues with most forms of piping as it would all blow to pieces as he had so much pressure. a firemans hose that flattens sounds good but not sure how long that would last before blowing out. they're designed for water not abrasive gravels rushing thru them.
starflash  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 March 2011 3:10:19 AM(UTC)
starflash

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
no not confusing at all, but if the sluice could be close to the nossel less gold would get trapped in pipe contections and clean up would be alot easier.
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 9 March 2011 12:07:21 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Its all a piece of piss really. Once the pipes are in there they are in there. No problems with floods as I stach them well out of harms way & cover them in foliage. They are still there after 12 years. I know as I checked them out last time down that way which was a month ago. I still have a heap of holes to clean out up this creek & I also have 4" pipes up there as well to speed things up. Bloody cold water though. All snow melt & no sun gets in to the gorge. Nice & quiet & no cost once set up. Just time.

Happy hunting

2 Pages12>