New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 25 October 2013 11:26:13 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Check out this excellent new field knife that has many uses outdoors including
cutting plugs with ease. I have used it on several outings now and it's performance
is excellent. Well designed and robust it compares very well with other popular brands.

See it here:
http://www.detectnz.co.n...ife+and+Plug+Cutter.html

Cheers,
Chris
chrischch  
Posted : Friday, 25 October 2013 4:36:53 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Nice knife but looks pretty menacing.....i use a diving knife and worry about the police charging me with an offensive weapon in public place etc. Does help keep the little homie bastards at bay though. They tried for the 2nd time to take my detector the other night. I've come close to having to stab one of them the last time.
Has anyone been hassled by the police about having a knife in a public place?
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 25 October 2013 4:52:22 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post
Nice knife but looks pretty menacing.....i use a diving knife and worry about the police charging me with an offensive weapon in public place etc. Does help keep the little homie bastards at bay though. They tried for the 2nd time to take my detector the other night. I've come close to having to stab one of them the last time.

I had to have had them cleared by Customs as not being an offensive weapon to be able to import them.
In reality they are no more menacing than a Lesche or any other digging knife with a concave blade.
Works good but. Cuts a real tidy plug.

Chris.

Edited by user Friday, 25 October 2013 5:24:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FossickFester  
Posted : Friday, 25 October 2013 5:12:14 PM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
If you have any blade in your possession in public, You must have a valid, justifiable reason for it. In your case Chrischch, if you had your knife with your detecting gear and you explain it's use i.e for cutting sinkers free from buried twine as well as digging up your booty, you should have no problem. Also never have it concealed or say that it is for selfdefence. I think there is a maximum penalty of 3 years jail for having an offensive weapon in your possession in public. Remember, it's police discretion to determine if it's an offencive weapon if carried in public without proper cause. Look at it this way, it's easier to convince an officer it's innocent intent, rather than having a lawyer explain the definition of offensive weapon to a judge. Safest bet, get something purpose built for the job, that way your ass is covered legally (as long as you don't stab the little homie bastard with it LOL).
:)
chrischch  
Posted : Friday, 25 October 2013 7:39:12 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Originally Posted by: Metal Kiwi Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: chrischch Go to Quoted Post

I had to have had them cleared by Customs as not being an offensive weapon to be able to import them.
In reality they are no more menacing than a Lesche or any other digging knife with a concave blade.
Works good but. Cuts a real tidy plug.

Chris.

You are correct. I wasnt inferring they were offensive, sorry. More was trying to bring up the point of having "knives" in public places. I bet it works great. My diving knife works good but that would be better for sure.

Thats right F.F., it all depends on how you present it to the cop at the time. I definitely wouldnt say its for self defence. Digging tool it is and only that. I dont conceal it but I do hold it so the blade is in my hand and the handle sticks out so it doesnt look like im walking along with a knife sticking out. Not a good look for a guy with tattooed forearms!
Djevel  
Posted : Friday, 25 October 2013 8:15:13 PM(UTC)
Djevel

New Zealand

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Haha.. I remember one day I was detecting at a school in Avondale (auckland) and these islanders were watching me for ages and kept walking past pointing, then one came back with his mates and he had boxing gloves on! started walking towards me with his mrs clearly trying to hold him back. Out came the lesche and straight away I walked up to him holding it asking what his fkn eye problem was .. haha they backed down so quick they almost ran away.
2014 Finds
Rings - (2 gold) - (2 silver) - (2 junk)
Silver Coins - 25
chrischch  
Posted : Friday, 25 October 2013 8:28:44 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Yes the good ole digging tool sure does have multiple uses! Swiss army knife of metal detecting! They should build pin pointers into them somehow....maybe make them out of some super hard plastic?
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 25 October 2013 10:06:16 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
A sharpened digging tool and a pin-pointer that can double as a taser.... :)

Or restrict hunting in those areas to the pre-dawn hours of the morning - most low lives have passed out by then.