New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

chchfossiker  
Posted : Monday, 30 May 2011 4:08:01 PM(UTC)
chchfossiker

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
has any one been to this public fossicking area.?
is it worth cheecking out if im heading threw from chch to greymouth for a hunt?
or is ther not alot going on here
gjj109  
Posted : Monday, 30 May 2011 4:47:25 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Hi, Goldsborough, probably the most popular public fossicking area. Always able to find reasonable quantity of fine flood gold. Good DOC camping spot. Usually other like minded people there, both for the social side and dabbling for the yellow metal. Like most places, the further you walk and the deeper you dig, the luckier you become. At least you can pan/sluice knowing you are allowed to be there.
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 30 May 2011 4:50:01 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Not had much luck there myself apart from a few flakes as always been a quick visit as had other half in tow. However... every time I've been there there's been a different old timer couple parked up working a spot hard. They seem to find a spot then just keep digging down as far as they can go. Been shown a bit of gold they've got from their efforts, but nothing I'd go crazy over - but they could always be holding back other finds if it's a good spot and they don't want to attract others in ;)
gjj109  
Posted : Monday, 30 May 2011 4:54:59 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Hi again chchfossicker,

Just read your post to gingerbreadman. If you are just starting out, I suggest you have a look at Goldsborough. You won't get rich but it is a good spot to find a few colours. You will also have the opportunity to learn from others, which is a lot easier than learning everything by yourself. It also has the advantage of being one of the closest spots to Christchurch.