New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

roger51  
Posted : Saturday, 16 November 2013 12:33:32 PM(UTC)
roger51

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi folk, I am now thinks that a Fisher F4 with a 5" and 10" coil, I know that is will not work the beaches in Taranaki Iron sands, we have a Motorhome so we will be getting about.
The idea of working my way up a small stream is very much something I would love to do, will this combo work for that, general playing in the dirt and some white sand beach work. I guess the next step up would be the lower end on the Gold Bug range. (The Handbrake has me on a tight rein )
Any further advise very be will received, Just can`t wait to get into it.

Roger51
gjj109  
Posted : Sunday, 17 November 2013 9:42:42 AM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I am guessing that you will do more parks and beaches than wandering up streams. I don't know the current prices but I went through this exercise a couple of years ago. Ended up getting a Minelab X-terrra 705 gold pack with the two coils. Absolutely no regrets.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 17 November 2013 10:24:17 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
I recently got an F4 with 10" to complement my old Garrett SeaHunter PI machine.
Haven't used any other machines, but the F4 is definitely a fast sweeper over open ground for coins, although falters at the sea/sand interface and heavy mineralisation (Bauxite and copper bearing rocks in my case). Still doable with the ground balance, but it slows things down... upper beaches and dry land would be the box I'd tick for this one.
My few rummages in streams with it makes me think the X-Terra with a smaller coil would be a better option if this was going to be your primary haunt.

The F4 is rapidly paying its way on grass and (East Coast) beaches though, but I'm happy with a steady stream of smaller finds over one or two biggies per year.

I envy the motorhome concept - would love to travel and sweep parts unknown...