New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

cavey  
Posted : Saturday, 30 November 2013 3:35:48 PM(UTC)
cavey

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi All

Just asking the same old question.

Im after a metal detector I have an fisher f2 but after something better

Most of my detecting will be split between coin shooting and looking for gold so need a detector that will work for both my budget will be upto around $1200 . I know every body has there own option any and all advise would be a help new or second hand im not worried just after something for the job. Also after a good pin pointer have a f point all right for a start but im sure I could do better.

Thanks Stu
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 30 November 2013 5:32:31 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Maybe a Gold Bug Pro? Perhaps with an extra coil that's larger for coin shooting?
gjj109  
Posted : Saturday, 30 November 2013 6:56:35 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Well you have a bit of reading and research ahead of you.

I did a bit of research a couple of years ago looking for the "one size fits all".

Ended up with a Minelab X-terra 705 with the 9" concentric 7.5khz coil and the elliptical 10" x 5" 18.75khz coil.
Very pleased with it. Light enough to swing all day and runs all day on 4 x AA rechargeables.
It does what I want it to, but everyone has their own requirements and expectations.

If I lost it, I would replace it with one the same, but I might look at getting the X-TERRA 6" Double-D 18.75kHz coil instead of the elliptical one just because the 6" one is waterproof, whereas the elliptical one is not.

I use a garrett pro pointer and wouldn't go digging without one. There is plenty of on-line discussion about the merits of the Garrett v's the Minelab.

Good luck.
DrunkBrother  
Posted : Saturday, 30 November 2013 6:59:09 PM(UTC)
DrunkBrother

Groups: Registered, Moderators
Man

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Stu,

i know you missed out on my last Deal of Xterra 705 ,

If you ar not in the rush and wait just one week, i might gt you another 705 at reasonable deal, but no Pinpointer or Lesche this time.

Please TXT me 0272766257 and i will call you back to discuss,

Regards
Max
*2014*Rings PlT/PD=0 GOLD=30 STG=53 Junk=46
oroplata  
Posted : Saturday, 30 November 2013 7:51:25 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Keep your F2 for now for coin shooting and buy a goldbug2 or ATgold for nuggets.

Once you find your first biggish nugget, use that to fund the upgrade of the F2 to an F75.

cavey  
Posted : Monday, 2 December 2013 6:23:21 AM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: gavin Go to Quoted Post
Maybe a Gold Bug Pro? Perhaps with an extra coil that's larger for coin shooting?

Hi Gavin

Yeah i have a mate in south aus who runs that set up seems to be doing alright with it.
cavey  
Posted : Monday, 2 December 2013 6:25:54 AM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: DrunkBrother Go to Quoted Post
Stu,

i know you missed out on my last Deal of Xterra 705 ,

If you ar not in the rush and wait just one week, i might gt you another 705 at reasonable deal, but no Pinpointer or Lesche this time.

Please TXT me 0272766257 and i will call you back to discuss,

Regards
Max

Hi Drunk brother

im in no rush wont be until early in the new year when i buy just thought i would put the word out to see what other people use .

Thanks for the offer will get hold of you closer to the time

Stu
cavey  
Posted : Monday, 2 December 2013 6:28:27 AM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post

Keep your F2 for now for coin shooting and buy a goldbug2 or ATgold for nuggets.

Once you find your first biggish nugget, use that to fund the upgrade of the F2 to an F75.

Yeah i was bidding on an f75 special addition on trade me but was out bid i
have heard the f75 with a couple of coils makes a good coin shooter and gold detector but i could be wrong.

Stu
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Monday, 2 December 2013 6:42:55 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
the F75 is a great gold machine...I have seen it in action and the nuggets it found..lol...but if your budget is under 1000 then you might want to look at the gold bug and get the 11 DD coil ...makes it a great all rounder and comes in at 975 total..so just under the 1000.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
cavey  
Posted : Monday, 2 December 2013 8:30:32 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: nzpoohbear40 Go to Quoted Post
the F75 is a great gold machine...I have seen it in action and the nuggets it found..lol...but if your budget is under 1000 then you might want to look at the gold bug and get the 11 DD coil ...makes it a great all rounder and comes in at 975 total..so just under the 1000.

Yeah I like the look of the F75 might have to sell a few things and do the over time so my budget can be bigger. But I do like the gold bug as well .

Stu
cavey  
Posted : Friday, 6 December 2013 6:08:15 AM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Is anybody using the minelab eureaka gold are they a good detector how would they compare to the gold bug pro any advise be great.

Stu
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Friday, 6 December 2013 9:05:48 AM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Stu,

That was me that outbid you on the F75. I already have an F75 but that one was an LTD and I wanted to try it out and see if there is any noticeable difference between the LTD and the regular. Plus I wanted a backup detector. I had originally planned to use my F75 for coins etc and get a Gold Bug for gold, but have since changed my mind and have been using the F75 as a gold detector. When you try the Gold Bugs and F75 side by side (air tests) they are all the same on bigger gold. When you get down to the very small stuff the F75 fades first and the GB2 last. But having said that I have found some pretty tiny gold with the F75 so in the field I don't feel like I am at all disadvantaged. My thoughts anyway.

-Robert
cavey  
Posted : Saturday, 14 December 2013 8:32:04 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: rgmcbrid Go to Quoted Post
Stu,

That was me that outbid you on the F75. I already have an F75 but that one was an LTD and I wanted to try it out and see if there is any noticeable difference between the LTD and the regular. Plus I wanted a backup detector. I had originally planned to use my F75 for coins etc and get a Gold Bug for gold, but have since changed my mind and have been using the F75 as a gold detector. When you try the Gold Bugs and F75 side by side (air tests) they are all the same on bigger gold. When you get down to the very small stuff the F75 fades first and the GB2 last. But having said that I have found some pretty tiny gold with the F75 so in the field I don't feel like I am at all disadvantaged. My thoughts anyway.

-Robert

Hi Robert

I thought it was you I was bidding against hope your new f75 is working well

Have decided to get either a xterra 705 or a gold bug pro with a couple of coils think I will swing towards the gold bug as fishers seem to be easy to learn as I have found using my fisher f2 have you got any in stock one gun sold one more to sell then I can get a detector yay

Stu
cavey  
Posted : Sunday, 15 December 2013 4:43:05 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

well after a lot of reading of reviews etc I have come to the choice either between a fisher gold bug pro with a couple of coils or an xterra 705 gold pack both detectors look good from what I have read my budget will be about $1600 my detecting will be split about 70% golding and 30% coin shooting . If any body out there wants to give me there thoughts on either of these detectors that would be great and to those that already have I thank you .

stu
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Sunday, 15 December 2013 10:52:33 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Stu,

Consider an F75. They arn't gold detectors per say, but they work pretty well for gold. I use mine for gold and have been real happy with it, and I know of a couple of people who after getting an F75 stopped using their Gold Bugs 2's and just use the F75. They are as good as a VLF detector gets and for $1600 you could get one with two coils.

-Robert
gjj109  
Posted : Monday, 16 December 2013 8:12:25 AM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
It's a bit like the Ford v Holden debate, without the colour choices.

There are several sites that directly compare the two machines and even after reading those, if I had not used either and had to choose, I would toss a coin.

It was the option of changing the frequency by changing the coil that swung me in favour of the Minelab. I don't know if it makes any difference to the results though.

I think either will do the job for you.
cavey  
Posted : Monday, 16 December 2013 8:16:57 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: rgmcbrid Go to Quoted Post
Stu,

Consider an F75. They arn't gold detectors per say, but they work pretty well for gold. I use mine for gold and have been real happy with it, and I know of a couple of people who after getting an F75 stopped using their Gold Bugs 2's and just use the F75. They are as good as a VLF detector gets and for $1600 you could get one with two coils.

-Robert

Hi Robert

Yes I have heard that the f75 is a great machine I see there is another one listed on trade me f75 limited edition whats the difference between that and the standard one, still like the gold bug as most of my detecting will be looking for gold.

Stu
cavey  
Posted : Monday, 16 December 2013 8:18:39 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: gjj109 Go to Quoted Post
It's a bit like the Ford v Holden debate, without the colour choices.

There are several sites that directly compare the two machines and even after reading those, if I had not used either and had to choose, I would toss a coin.

It was the option of changing the frequency by changing the coil that swung me in favour of the Minelab. I don't know if it makes any difference to the results though.

I think either will do the job for you.

Yes I think the decision will come down to a coin toss
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 December 2013 4:19:44 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Stu,

That one on trade me isn't actually a Limited Edition, it is the regular F75 which comes in a box that says 'Special Edition.' The difference between the two is that the regular F75 has four discrimination modes/programs you can detect in; regular, one for small targets, one for really trashy areas, and one for uneven ground. The newer 'LTD' is the exact same detector but it is all black in colour and has two additional modes you can operate in while in discrimination mode; one for deep searching and one for really deep (cache) searching. Which is why I wanted that LTD Martin was selling, so I could try out the deep modes. Having tried it out, the deep mode actually does work better on deep targets. This past weekend I was out with Poohbear and we were in an area where we were digging coins in the 10-14 inch range. Flick the detector into the deep mode and a weak signal turned into a solid signal. The downside being that it was considerably slower. What I love about the F75 is that it is so fast, you literally can't swing it to fast, and the faster you go the more accurate the reading. So I continued to search in regular mode and just switched to deep mode once I was already on a weak target. Was helpful, but I am not sure it is worth the extra money. In summery, the regular F75 (Special Edition) has gold tubes and the Limited Edition (LTD) has black tubes and a couple of extra search modes.

And for gold I search in all metal mode and don't use any of the programs.

-Robert

Edited by user Tuesday, 17 December 2013 4:21:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added to it a bit