New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

chchnuggetdetect  
Posted : Sunday, 19 January 2014 7:30:48 AM(UTC)
chchnuggetdetect

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Having had my best coin night yet with $25 in spendables, thinking about upgrading. No gold rings yet, foil is problem for F4 and often notch out gold. Rings found so far have mainly been aluminium.

What advantages would a fisher goldbug pro have over an F4 for coin hunting in parks? How about an F75? Or any other brand.

I don't really expect to do much gold hunting with it, as would use my old minelab PI for that despite the weight, old non waterproof coils, and poor discrimination. So its a coin thing.

Also does anyone know why Fisher goldbugpros have a 10inch and 11 inch coil.. whats the difference?

Cheers

rgmcbrid  
Posted : Sunday, 19 January 2014 12:39:22 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
As a disclaimer I sell Fisher detectors; but I have used the F2's and F4's and had a Gold Bug, and they are all very capable detectors. But once I got the hang of the F75 I have never wanted to use anything else, and haven't. They are fast, super sensitive, and the discrimination is great. And you can use it for everything. I was going to get another Gold Bug for hunting gold, but have been using the F75 with great success so decided not to bother. The only reason not to get an F75 is if you can't afford it. Other brands have models that are arguably as good as the F75 but they cost a lot more. So that is my 2 cent sales pitch.
Erickd  
Posted : Monday, 1 September 2014 5:45:38 PM(UTC)
Erickd

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 695 time(s) in 297 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chchnuggetdetect Go to Quoted Post
Having had my best coin night yet with $25 in spendables, thinking about upgrading. No gold rings yet, foil is problem for F4 and often notch out gold. Rings found so far have mainly been aluminium.

What advantages would a fisher goldbug pro have over an F4 for coin hunting in parks? How about an F75? Or any other brand.

I don't really expect to do much gold hunting with it, as would use my old minelab PI for that despite the weight, old non waterproof coils, and poor discrimination. So its a coin thing.

Also does anyone know why Fisher goldbugpros have a 10inch and 11 inch coil.. whats the difference?

Cheers

I have a Fisher F4 and have found 2 gold rings 1 at 9k and 1 at 10k, yes they do ring low the 10k was at a solid 30 number, have to listen more to the strength of the sound and look at the depth and as everyone says "pays to dig everything" and they were found at parks

Edited by user Monday, 1 September 2014 5:46:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Silver coins -400
Silver Jewellery/items - 22
Gold Jewellery/items - 7
Spendie $132.90
Fisher F75 & X-pointer
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 1 September 2014 10:52:40 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Likewise, no issues with the F4 pinging gold. Only disc iron out and learn to love pulltabs (each one you dig is one closer to that ring).

My F4 is my coin shooter, and has accounted for the bulk of my spendables tally for this year, 90% of which is $1 and $2's.
Run the disc right up to full, then back off two notches and hit everything from 60 to 65...

You sure those rings are all ali? Aged silver looks that way too.
Erickd  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 September 2014 5:46:00 PM(UTC)
Erickd

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 695 time(s) in 297 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mudwiggle Go to Quoted Post
Likewise, no issues with the F4 pinging gold. Only disc iron out and learn to love pulltabs (each one you dig is one closer to that ring).

My F4 is my coin shooter, and has accounted for the bulk of my spendables tally for this year, 90% of which is $1 and $2's.
Run the disc right up to full, then back off two notches and hit everything from 60 to 65...

You sure those rings are all ali? Aged silver looks that way too.

Yup great advise, you can pretty much choose what you want to hunt for with the discrimination
Silver coins -400
Silver Jewellery/items - 22
Gold Jewellery/items - 7
Spendie $132.90
Fisher F75 & X-pointer
Guardian  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 September 2014 6:15:42 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
About the only time I used discrim was on night hunts so I didn't have to check the TID all the time. Now I have a backlight I'm back to not using discrim - of course it depends on the machine but usually discrim is pretty good at making weaker good signals sound (and ID) like trash so basically you are losing depth to a certain extent.

By the way the F75 from what I've seen was better than a goldbug on small gold.....didn't expect that!