New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Pedro  
Posted : Monday, 3 March 2014 8:52:50 PM(UTC)
Pedro

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
So what I would like to know, what is worth looking at?, ie pros and cons of different makes and models.
Second hand detectors what to look for?, or look out for?.
What have some of you owned and would recomend?, or recomend to stay away from?.
So I geuss what I'm looking for is a review of MDs, by users, rather than a companies sales blurb.
Thank Pedro.
gjj109  
Posted : Tuesday, 4 March 2014 8:44:18 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Pedro that is a hell of a big ask. I don't think anyone is going to write a book to give you the answer you seek.

You know your budget and you know what you want to use the machine to do.

Read the copious reviews on all the machines that are available on the web.

Get your prospective choices down to a few and then ask members their opinion. Most will have one and most will only be too happy to share,

Will be waiting to hear from you in a few weeks.
sycotoad  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 March 2014 11:25:26 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Hi Pedro -

The reason there are so many to choose from is that there are many different hunting styles and techniques to adopt & you need the right machine for the type of hunting you undertake -

Firstly, give us some indication of your budget - $300 - $500 etc

What type of hunting do you think you will like - coin, nugget, water etc etc

Are you a novice or do you have previous experience with a metal detector?

There are so many factors when weighing up the options -

For instance - Amazon were selling the Teknetics Delta 4000 with 5 year warranty for $212.00NZD + shipping $69.00NZD - Now for under $300 NZ you can own a very capable brand new metal detector .... No need to go secondhand - These units are a great introductory machine that will keep up with machines 3 - 4 times the price .....

The coil compatibility is simply fantastic as the Greek series coils fit on an array of both Fisher & Teknetics machines

Anyways I hope this helps some -

Goodluck with your research ;)
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
Pedro  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 March 2014 8:06:45 PM(UTC)
Pedro

New Zealand

What I'm after in this thread is for people to coment on the detectors they either own or have owned.
I don't want comments about equpment that people have had nothig to do with.
The reviews I have found on equipment, has mostly been posted by companies who either make them or are selling them, what I want is for those of you who choose to, is to comment on what you have had or have.
This could be a good starting point for beginers to figure out what equipment is worth buying, and maybe what can fit their budget.
Every manufacturer will tell you ther machine is the greatest thing since sliced bread, regardless if it costs $50 or $5000.
kiwisouth  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 March 2014 9:42:02 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Minelab and Garrett as well as Fisher have good reviews from most of the blokes on here. I have owned two Minelabs, a Sovereign and a Quattro. The Sov was a beautiful machine but didn't have a screen so you had to differentiate what the target was by the sound. The Quattro was renamed and updated to the Safari. I have had it a few years from new and I'm still learning to get the most out of it.

There are a lot of forums where people will discuss the pros and cons of their detectors, some of these for example might be on the Minelab owners website, or metaldetectingforum.co.uk.

There are some folks that will swear by their Minelab and the Garrett and Fisher or Whites or...... will extol the virtues of their machine. I now read up on quite a few forums. The manufacturers will tell you what they want you to hear but the reputable companies will stand by their product and they can't tell you untruths.

Do your homework and read what the guys have already said in our forum here.

Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
sycotoad  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 March 2014 11:03:48 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/

Edited by user Wednesday, 5 March 2014 11:14:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Wednesday, 5 March 2014 11:12:19 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Pedro Go to Quoted Post
What I'm after in this thread is for people to coment on the detectors they either own or have owned.
I don't want comments about equpment that people have had nothig to do with.
The reviews I have found on equipment, has mostly been posted by companies who either make them or are selling them, what I want is for those of you who choose to, is to comment on what you have had or have.
This could be a good starting point for beginers to figure out what equipment is worth buying, and maybe what can fit their budget.
Every manufacturer will tell you ther machine is the greatest thing since sliced bread, regardless if it costs $50 or $5000.

I agree with you entirely about getting comments people regarding "equpment that people have had nothig to do with", however I have had experience with a variety of metal detectors (albiet in some cases, a fleeting review) & there is no way I am going to spill my guts all night on units you may never even consider - I just dont have the time .......

I think you may be better served asking google what it is you are looking for

Goodluck with your research

Edited by user Wednesday, 5 March 2014 11:13:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 7 March 2014 7:39:30 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
I'll throw something in here as I have a few minutes to kill while I wait for the Guinness to settle.

I own Garrett, Minelab and Fisher. Each serves a different role.

The Garrett is 30 years old, tone only and is a workhorse... More of a Clydesdale really.
No gimmicks, no disc, heavy and ugly and will have you pulling ali rivets up from a long way down.
Works anywhere. It's my goto machine when I want everything.

The Fisher is my coin shooter for grass and dry sand - Have it tuned for $1 & $2 coins only. Occasional bycatch of a silver ring.

The Minelab is purely a water machine. Easy (for me) to use as I am old-school and don't need numbers and arrows to tell me when to dig.

Three machines, three different applications (as far as I'm concerned)
A cheap machine that is understood and used well will beat a multi-thousand dollar bit of kit waved around by someone who thinks dollars spent equals results.

MW
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Saturday, 8 March 2014 11:35:24 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
I am part of the fisher dealership here in NZ and so far have only used fishers....I started out with the Goldbug..I had both the 5 inch coil and the 11 inch DD with it... It is a gold Machine but when you stick the 11DD on it . It becomes a great lightweight all rounder for coins and relics...and in my case SILVER RINGS...I found 32 silver rings with it befor I Gave it to another member of this forum as a down payment on my truck...so I then started using my 9 year old sons Fisher F2..and I tell you what.. for an entry level detector it did me good...found another 8 silver rings with it..as well as a bunch of coins... meddalions and what not....And now I am swinging an F75...top of the line Fisher machine... Just today I was on a hunt and came home with 84 coins in total...Again the F75 is a light weight machine and although it isn't a GOLD machine it is fantastic at finding very small gold nuggets... and big ones of course..lol... Have a look through any of my post with pictures and you will see what was found with what machine...

But like everyone else is saying if you want to get good advice on what sort of machine would suit you then you need to give us what price range you are thinking. . and what it is you want to hunt... If you are planning on doing strictly gold nugget detecting then there is absolutely no sence in us telling you what the F2 will do as it is no good in the gold fields...and if it is
coins and relics you are after then again it would be useless telling you about the goldbug 2 as it is strictly for gold with no digital display or discrimination.

If it is both coins/relics and also GOLD you want to hunt then I have already mentioned two very good machines for that..

The Goldbug and the F75 but then it comes down to price range as there is about 600 dollars difference between the 2

Edited by user Saturday, 8 March 2014 11:39:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
Pedro  
Posted : Monday, 10 March 2014 5:47:20 PM(UTC)
Pedro

New Zealand

Thanks Guys,
thats what I'm on about.
So in comming clean, this is just a hobbie for me, some thing to get me out of the house and go for a bit of a walk, near to where I live is a few old house sites dating circa 1880s, then pulled down by the Ministery of Works in the 60s and 70 for road widening. some of the old garden features are still able to be found on the sites, and there are a few other places near by to check out, Petone beach is just down the road.
So yep relics and coins etc, old beer cans, pull tabs and nails and screws.
Budget is 5 hundy, so looking at a Garret ace 250. I have a cheap chinese MD thats good for cans, pull tabs and nails, I wll keep this, as you never know when you may need a pull tab.
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 10 March 2014 8:25:58 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Well I wasnt far off the mark with recommending you the Teknetics Delta 4000 then -

Unfortunately the $212 + $69 (shipping) kick ass deal is over:( so perhaps the ACE series is more suitable for you afterall -

Goodluck with your descision & purchase -

Heres one of those yella doorbells your after lol
http://www.trademe.co.nz...er/auction-703294964.htm

Edited by user Monday, 10 March 2014 8:38:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 10 March 2014 8:28:58 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Mudwiggle Go to Quoted Post
I'll throw something in here as I have a few minutes to kill while I wait for the Guinness to settle.

I own Garrett, Minelab and Fisher. Each serves a different role.

The Garrett is 30 years old, tone only and is a workhorse... More of a Clydesdale really.
No gimmicks, no disc, heavy and ugly and will have you pulling ali rivets up from a long way down.
Works anywhere. It's my goto machine when I want everything.

The Fisher is my coin shooter for grass and dry sand - Have it tuned for $1 & $2 coins only. Occasional bycatch of a silver ring.

The Minelab is purely a water machine. Easy (for me) to use as I am old-school and don't need numbers and arrows to tell me when to dig.

Three machines, three different applications (as far as I'm concerned)
A cheap machine that is understood and used well will beat a multi-thousand dollar bit of kit waved around by someone who thinks dollars spent equals results.

MW

Never a wiser word spoken -

sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 16 March 2014 12:04:55 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Hi Pedro - Have you got yourself up and running yet?

What did you end up getting bud???
Pedro  
Posted : Monday, 17 March 2014 6:16:43 PM(UTC)
Pedro

New Zealand

Yep I got the Garret ace 250, now I just have to teach my self how to use it, and get the milage up under my feet & coil.
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 17 March 2014 8:22:04 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Great stuff - I am sure you will like the Ace250 - I owned a 150 and was impressed with the depth as well as how sensitive it was to small targets - Also the fact that Garrett support is second to none -

Good luck with your hunts Pedro.
creamer  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 March 2014 4:33:11 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pedro Go to Quoted Post
Yep I got the Garret ace 250, now I just have to teach my self how to use it, and get the milage up under my feet & coil.
Hi there Pedro, you have made a great choice. Happy hunting out there.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz