New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
clarky  
Posted : Friday, 1 July 2011 2:52:00 PM(UTC)
clarky

Groups: Registered
Man

The new ranking is definitely interesting and fun!! Can you please tell me at what point in time does one advance to the next level in gold prospecting activity? Just curious to know. Awesome forum keep up the good work I love it. Good to know that there are many somewhat loose buggers out there, or is it.
Clarky
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 1 July 2011 3:37:18 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi Clarky, glad you like them...

You start at Gold Dust, then turn into a Flake at 10 posts, a nugget at 30 posts, and finally an Ingot at 100 posts.

Was trying to find some nice icons to go with these so a bit more obvious but had trouble finding suitable gold dust and flake images. Will try and find some again soon ;)
clarky  
Posted : Saturday, 2 July 2011 2:59:07 PM(UTC)
clarky

Man

Thanx for that Gavin. Had a look around down at Danseys today but had no joy. Still trying to get the hang of it all but had a lot of fun trying.

Cheers
Clarky
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 2 July 2011 3:30:37 PM(UTC)
gavin

No worries Clarky.

Took me a while to find some decent colour myself (I still consider myself a newbie to this). I think the most important thing to remember is that gold is heavy so likes to work it's way down so look out for areas of bedrock as it won't be able to go deeper than this. All the best finds I've had so far are from cleaning out crevices that run ACROSS the line of the river (ones that run in the same direction as the river tend to get flushed out by the water flow). Even if they're not too far above the waterline there's a good chance they'll trap some gold in flood situations. Hopefully this will help you find some decent spots ;)

Of course you can find gold in the gravel of a river, especially if you dig a deep hole, and you might be lucky to find some nice gold, but for me crevices rule!

Oh, and grab yourself a crevice sucker as they're invaluable if you're going the cevice route! Had some great joy with one of KiwiJW's crevice suckers sucking up gold I couldn't see that just kept getting hidden under a very fine layer of material at the bottom of a crevice.

Edited by user Saturday, 2 July 2011 3:33:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added crevice sucker recommendation

criticol  
Posted : Saturday, 2 July 2011 3:59:24 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi Gavin.

Guess who`s a "BIT" dissappointed to "ONLY" be ranked as a gold nugget???????. Especially,,,, after all that earlier information I posted on this forum, to help it get off the ground
---some of it practically priceless too!!!

Thanks Mate---Colin
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 2 July 2011 4:09:47 PM(UTC)
gavin

I was also going to introduce some medals too, did you want the "Grumpy old bugger" one? ;)
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 2 July 2011 4:37:28 PM(UTC)
gavin

Ranks are just a dumb-automated thing based on number of posts. Unfortunately they can't factor in length of posts else you might be an Ingot too Colin ;)
madsonicboating  
Posted : Saturday, 2 July 2011 5:19:32 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
lol lol
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 2 July 2011 5:36:03 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
gavin wrote:
Ranks are just a dumb-automated thing based on number of posts. Unfortunately they can't factor in length of posts else you might be an Ingot too Colin ;)

Hey fairs fair - give it to him Gavin as it is obvious that Colin is genuinely an ingot..,.you must be able to work it somehow!
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 2 July 2011 5:44:08 PM(UTC)
gavin

Could be worse - you could be dust! :P

I was actually surprised to make it to ingot - assumed I'd only done enough posts to make it to nugget. Now if only I could find enough gold to make an ingot!
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 2 July 2011 6:00:12 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
gavin wrote:
Could be worse - you could be dust! :P

I was actually surprised to make it to ingot - assumed I'd only done enough posts to make it to nugget. Now if only I could find enough gold to make an ingot!

You find the gold and I shall loan you the mold to caste the ingot as I got one of the two from the Alexandra dredge - there was a new mold on the dredge with BNZ on the bottom and it went to the Alexandra museum. I got the one they used - bad news is that it was pitted and its nearly impossible to tell it is a BNZ one, the good news is that last owner used it to melt scrap lead into ingots for some reason and when I cleaned the lead residue out there was quite a bit of gold adherence in the bottom.
gjj109  
Posted : Sunday, 3 July 2011 4:00:54 AM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Hey Colin,

Surely you would rather be a bit rough around the edges, made as nature intended, sought after by all and worth more than your weight in gold, rather than something fashioned by man, to conform to some other persons norm, to be the same as every other ingot.
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 3 July 2011 10:08:34 AM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
gavin wrote:
I was also going to introduce some medals too, did you want the "Grumpy old bugger" one? ;)

Yo, Gavin.
"Yes PLEASE" If your handing that "One" out. put my name down first.

Regards--and Cheers---Colin.

P.S. Anyway, I thought that I had posted over 100 times??? as the members records state 232 posts! and mind you, thats not counting a lot of my eariest posts.Which seem to have vanished, as i dont think that they were vanquisished! :).

Edited by user Sunday, 3 July 2011 10:18:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 3 July 2011 11:01:05 AM(UTC)
gavin

Hi Colin,

Interesting - indeed it does look like you've posted over 100 times. Wonder if there's some time frame component too then?! Will investigate!

Gav ;)
2 Pages<12