New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

LBD  
Posted : Saturday, 24 May 2014 7:11:30 PM(UTC)
LBD

Groups: Registered
Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)

Hi All

I am looking for a suitable coupling to connect 8 inch suction hose.

I am leaning toward Bauer couplings... http://www.par-group.co....ings-male-hose-tail.aspx (available in NZ)

Does anyone have experience with these?

Does any one know of a better alternitive?
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 24 May 2014 8:21:08 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Have a look at the Camlok range of couplings.
I've used them for many years on drilling rigs etc, and very easy to lock/release, especially when there's a lot of crud flying around or with hands either frozen or in heavy gloves.
The sealing ring in them works under positive or negative pressure, had the 4" ones up(or down) to 20" vacuum with no issues.

Do them in polymer as well, not sure if this option is available at 8" though.
LBD  
Posted : Saturday, 24 May 2014 9:22:17 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

I looked at camloc fittings... but decided I needed steel because...

I can weld one end to the power jet
More abrasian resistant
The hose tail is thinner walled keeping the flow restriction to a mininum and reducing the likelyhood of a rock catching.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Saturday, 24 May 2014 9:43:38 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Hi.
A mate of myn uses these tri clover fittings reckons they work good but he only has a 4" dredge I don't no if they come out in 8"
www.anzor.co.nz/sanitary...riclamp-fittings/product

Edited by user Saturday, 24 May 2014 9:44:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LBD  
Posted : Saturday, 24 May 2014 10:47:40 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post
Hi.
A mate of myn uses these tri clover fittings reckons they work good but he only has a 4" dredge I don't no if they come out in 8"
www.anzor.co.nz/sanitary...riclamp-fittings/product

They look okay... and do go up to 8 inch... they do look like they need to be perfectly aligned to do up, which may be a struggle with one man and 8 inch hose
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 25 May 2014 11:18:51 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi there LBD, MMMMm....how much experience have you had with dredging?
I ask this because a few things made me wonder. Firstly.....the connection of the hose to a power jet is usualy no different to any other size dredge. 2ndly: Most people who get in to dredging start off with a small dredge & then get bigger. Through the using of the smaller gear they learn what works & what doesnt, & why. More so if you make your own dredges.
3rdly: Most people would have seen a few dredges or gone online & done heaps of research as to what makes a dredge tick & holds it together etc.
It was you last comment that really made me wonder as you mentiond one person operating an 8" dredge.
An 8" dredge is quite a beast & not a toy & is usualy at least a two man operation for many reasons. The gear is bigger & heavier. It can take one person to just hang on to & operate the nozzle as an 8" has a lot of suction & can moves a heap of material pretty quickly. The 2nd person is usually busy just man handling rocks etc & can also pop up top & do a quick check on the box & fuel & stuff while the nozzle man carries on with business. Probably the most important is from a safety point of view. An 8" dredge can get down in depth & when things turn to shit down at depth it can happen very quickly. Like a rock (large) falling in on your hole & either pinning you or squashing you or part of your body, or falling on your air line depriving you of air very quickly. A mate of mine dredges with a little emergency air bottle on his person. Even when he has a 2nd man with him. You life is always on the line when you are under water & it pays to be not too complacent.

Good luck out there

JW :)
LBD  
Posted : Sunday, 25 May 2014 3:09:39 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Hi KiwiJW.. Hmmmmm... how much experience have you had at politics, tact and diplomacy? For example if I replied to a post of yours on an open forum with the opening line... "It seems you have no idea what you are talking about..." how would that make you feel? Remember this... "people will forget what you have said and done, but people will always remember how you made them feel!"...

So yes, I do know to... prick both ends of the egg... seal lips around the hole in the smaller end.... suck hard.

But thanks for your concern...

The 8 inch is large no doubt and depending on where I am working with it, it can be a handful especially in any current... but it is working well and is managable alone. It is used two up when my second is available...and especially if there are many cobbles to move.

As for your comment..."the connection of the hose to a power jet is usually no different to any other size dredge" I am not sure what you are getting at... the Keene 8" coupling is different from smaller dredges.... and my setup is different again hence I am looking for a special coupling for a special application (The main power jet is inside a hull, the suction line passes through a bulkhead where I require a special coupling outside the hull to attach the short suction hose with a supplimentary power jet... to which the main suction hose attaches with a typical 8" Keene coupling.)

I moved a lot of gravel the last 3 days with the 8 inch (Alone because my second was not available) and I am very satisfied with the setup...

I agree there are risks invloved and more so when working alone, so good situational awarness and an aversion to risk taking is important. I like the idea of a pony air bottle... I have been considering this for a while... so thanks for refreshing my memory.

So the question still is... has anyone had experience using a Bauer coupling on their dredge?

Edited by user Sunday, 25 May 2014 7:17:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

pc5001  
Posted : Sunday, 25 May 2014 6:46:44 PM(UTC)
pc5001

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi,I reckon you could struggle to get the bauer coupling connected by yourself with the suction hose full of water and if the powerjet goes through the hull of the boat,does that mean that you connect the hose to the jet then feed it through the hole in the hull or do you have to connect in place ,under the boat?...and is the jet oversized?.or would it fit inside the suction hose? Also ,the bauer coupling looks as though its flexible and this would be one time when a straight rigid coupling is best,I reckon anyway
LBD  
Posted : Sunday, 25 May 2014 7:14:07 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

The hose attaches to the front as you can see in this picture and link... http://youtu.be/A-8TMGRVSls

Where the hose is attached in the picture is where I want the coupling...

"Also ,the bauer coupling looks as though its flexible and this would be one time when a straight rigid coupling is best,I reckon anyway"
Possibly.... I would like something that hooks othe coupling together first then pulls up on the seal... but failing that I may try the Bauer, I cannot be harder than at present.

Edited by user Sunday, 25 May 2014 7:22:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LBD attached the following image(s):
Dredge.jpg
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 25 May 2014 7:56:57 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
How about making your power jet longer ?...if you didnt want to cut off the clamp that holds your suction hose on the powerjet you could simply insert a steel tube into the powerjet clamp and have a new connection sitting just outside the hull or even better slightly submerged that way you would save having a steel sleeve inside your hose pluss if for some reason you need to take it out you can just disconnect .
LBD  
Posted : Sunday, 25 May 2014 8:14:23 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post
How about making your power jet longer ?...if you didnt want to cut off the clamp that holds your suction hose on the powerjet you could simply insert a steel tube into the powerjet clamp and have a new connection sitting just outside the hull or even better slightly submerged that way you would save having a steel sleeve inside your hose pluss if for some reason you need to take it out you can just disconnect .

The clamp is already cut off... no problems with the power jet etc, all is working well.

Because is is a planing boat, I need to keep the fitting somewhat above the waterline and as short as possible. The female Bauer coupling would only protrude out 3 inches or so.

Guess I will order one tomorrow and see how it goes...
gogold  
Posted : Sunday, 25 May 2014 9:46:08 PM(UTC)
gogold

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
awesome looking beast you've created there LBD, how does you hose currently attach? gingerbreadmans 8" has got same type of hose clamp on the jet as keene, its not too bad to get the hose into but mind its not as rigid hose as yours. clamps like this one http://www.keeneeng.com/...J84&Category_Code=PJ

ideally youd have it sorta like those dredges in nome on BSG where the flare lifts up and hose stays attached all the time but I don't think the bow of your boat would like being carved out lol
LBD  
Posted : Sunday, 25 May 2014 9:59:44 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Originally Posted by: gogold Go to Quoted Post
ideally youd have it sorta like those dredges in nome on BSG where the flare lifts up and hose stays attached all the time but I don't think the bow of your boat would like being carved out lol

Yes that is my power jet... I have cut the clamp off and fitted a piece of 8 inch tube to the jet... a short piece of hose goes to the bow with another piece of flanged tube fitting through the plywood bow. At the moment I need to slip the hose onto the piece of tube sticking out forward and then fasten it with a clamp.... but it is not easy hence I am looking for a suitable coupling.

I initially had the Keene clamp outside the bow, but it sucked to much air above the waterline making it hard to prime.... Got that problem sorted now... primes real easy at pump idle speeds.

The aluminium Mk2 has a slot in the bow.... on the drawing board for the moment till someone buys my 5 inch.

Edited by user Sunday, 25 May 2014 10:01:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified