New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
The Hatter  
Posted : Friday, 15 August 2014 1:22:35 AM(UTC)
The Hatter

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Hi All

I have decided to share with you fine fellows, a journey. A journey that I started to take at age 5, in a remote small West Coast Town called Reefton. For it was at that tender young age that I panned my first gold. Now just about to turn 67, buggar. So I shall take you on a journey.
Lots of tales along the way, and I don't bullshit. But before I even get into my recollections. For they are from my heart. I see many neophytes on here, that is just a big poncey word for " New Chums" and yep there are many on here that are ole hands. But I am gladdened in my heart to see young new people joining the great expedition in search of gold. So I shall share with you many things.

But will say this, gold is not where you find it, but where you know it is. And I might add for those that saw another post from me on here. I do have to up my anti, well gold thingie. I forgot to add in my black sanding beach gold. So lets dick in another 100 ounces. Frig that makes 300 of the bloody things. Just where did it all go, well thats a long story. In my day the best we got was $800 an ounce, normal was around $600, but for quite a few years $480.00 was top dollar. Right enough about my lost riches.

This never ending thread is for the new chums, and perhaps a few of the old chums. I do not have a big head, and I do not need a new hat. I have studied mining history all my life, alluvial gold history, geology, mining records. I have boxes filled with data, men would kill me for.

Its not just about buying a high falooting Gold Detector and wandering around aimlessly, going sweep sweep. Ya gota do your homework.
So Lesson One is going to be about " The Genisis of Gold" which really kinda means the birth of gold. Its gunna take me a long time and lots s of putting up geological maps, and silly word like pre cambriam palazoic and I cant spell, sometimes, but I will try to simplify the words.And put it into easy speak where possible.

I will centre on the " West Coast" firstly. Arrrr and then bloody Central Otago, a geologists dream. And after a couple of Pms about Bullock Creek, I have a theory about the isolated patches of gold there. Which I may address. One of my other pet subjects was and is glaciation, and that is basically what gave us our alluvial gold. Oh their were other minor contributors like fluvatile action and land slips, land degradation etc. But put your money on glaciation.

Right as usual I am rambling on. But just a tidbit for you fine fellows. Fancy sitting at the top of a now covered over Mine shaft. And picking up specimen bits of quartz studded with gold. Not big gold but rather lovely fine gold, some of it all over the face of the quartz . This is not the tailings heap, but prime ore that just happened to fall out of the buckets as they were loaded to go down to the crushing and recovery plant.

Possibly a bit over grown now. It was 20 years ago I was there. The creek blew out and took all the cutty grass away when we were there . So you may need a pick with a grubber on it. But very nice specimens indeed, my mate got a fist sized piece of quartz with gold everywhere, I only got little dickers. But they were purty.

Cheers Trev aka Hatter till the next time

Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 15 August 2014 9:53:03 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Looking forward to the journey Hatter.
Like your writing style. Easy to read. Maybe you should write a book. Might make
more loot than the subject did. :-)

MK

creamer  
Posted : Friday, 15 August 2014 10:00:05 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Nice one T Hatter, we like stories.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
kiwisouth  
Posted : Friday, 15 August 2014 11:38:07 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I love a bit of nostalgia. Looking forward to your dittys.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
Grizzle  
Posted : Friday, 15 August 2014 1:19:16 PM(UTC)
Grizzle

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Thanks Trev.. I'm one of those new bloods with the fever .. found my first gold the other day up the Slatey River in the Aorere Goldfields .. not much but the start of my gold journey but been having lots of fun looking for it up til now as well.. I really appreciate everyone on here sharing their stories and info.. its a large part of my research which is a large part of looking for gold it would seem... I'm off down the coast for a few days prospecting around so I'll be more than happy to share my possibly paltry results with everyone here... i'm also going to be chasing up a spot that no one has every mentioned here on Paydirt.. a place that my own research has found.. it could end up being my honey hole, seems like everyone needs one of those as well!... once again again thanks Trev, and everyone else willing to share.. Matt
The Hatter  
Posted : Saturday, 16 August 2014 9:35:31 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Hi All

Was watching Country Calender tonite about the Kaimanawa Wild Horses. Bought back a few memories when I was a young fella in Reefton. (About 8 years old) we used to love going up to the old Globe mine up Soldiers Road, (The road to Big River). We were on a mission, to capture one of the wild old globe mine pit horses. When the mine closed they just let the pit ponys go, so there was quite a herd of the buggars in the 50's. Naughty horses had been breeding. We would bike up the Soldiers road, till we came to our favourite paddock, and in that paddock was our transport, no. not an old Indian Motorcycle but a bloody old draft horse. He liked his apples that old bugga did. But I guess he liked us too.

We always carried some bailing twine, so on went our makeshift halter. Didn't worry him a bit. And then four of us would climb aboard and off the road we would go. I think his mummy must have done a few hauls up the Globe Road. As soon as we got to the old Globe road, which was then just a track, but a good one. He would turn off without any prompting from us four young whippersnappers perched on his back. And all he ever did was plod. So up to the Globe Mine he would take us. We would tether him up to a handy tree. And then devise our plan to catch a real horse, we wanted a bloody racehorse, a Globe Race Horse. So we would scout around until we caught sight of the herd. About 20 of the furry things.

Then we would sneak away and find a place to stampede them to. We always had a coil of our horse catching rope with us. So we would rig our horse catching noose between two tree's. And then sneak back, get behind them. Then all jump out waving our arms and screaming. Off the Globies would go, straight towards our trap. We only got one shot each visit. Damm those horses were cunning, we never caught a one.
d
And just as well, had we snared one we would have probablyhave broken its neck. And if it happened to survive, it probably would have kicked us all to death. We never quite figured out what we were going to do if we did get one.

So horse catching over it was off to the mine shaft, it was open then, just a great hole in the ground. We threw every thing we could find down that hole, rocks, old cast iron stoves, you name it, down the hole it went. Ya could hear it bouncing off the walls as it descended. The guys at Oceana must have chuckled when they open casted and got to the bottom of the shaft. But phew none of our rotting bones.

So it was back to our trusty old stead, mount up and head home. But he was happy there were then wild apple trees up the globe hill, and we picked him a bellyfull and he loved them. Back down the track, and back to his paddock he trustfully took us. We never did know who owned him, but I bet they knew we took him on little adventures, and didn't mind at all.

We did many trips with our old mate and I am sure he enjoyed them as much as we did. Ride on ole fella, wherever you are.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
Grizzle  
Posted : Saturday, 16 August 2014 10:15:40 PM(UTC)
Grizzle

Man
New Zealand

Nice his.story Trev!... keep em comin'
The Hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 17 August 2014 7:02:47 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Hi Grizzle

Well you will be doing a lot of that after a few no gold days.lol. But that's the nature of the beast. Not sure if you are using a detector or not.
Me and my mate found that when doing bedrock with a Detector, you get more gold by digging out every crevice. Stick the dirt in a plastic pan and give it a wave with the magic wand. No beep, discard. Slower but at the end of the day you get more gold. Most gold in bedrock cracks tends to lay on its side, so there is a very small profile presented to the Detector. Worked for us.

And welcome to the world of gold chasing. I'm sure you are gunna have lots of fun. And congrats on your first bit.

The Hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 17 August 2014 9:09:32 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Hi Folks

Rather that jumping all around the sub forums on here, like a rabbit looking for a new paddock. I'm just gunna post everything here.
Now I see on the buy sell sub forum one of the merry band was knocking of a detector as he was thinking of getting an SDC2300, but was a tad worried about how he would handle " No discrimination". Not sure if he was a treasure hunter or a gold prospector. But here is a wee true tale.

Me and my mate both got a Minelab XT17000 when they first hit the market. A few years back now. But mine is still going strong. Anyway there was one creek we used to visit that had quite a bit of exposed bedrock. On the way up the creek there was a old rusted bolt or nut just sticking out of the bedrock. But as were using the iron discrimination on the XT17000, we just got an iron signal and moved on. It became a ritual each time we went up the creek to blip the rusty old nut/bolt. Man it gave a good sound, but the electronics said, iron. Ignore.

One day my mate was up there and got kinda pissed of with that old rusty relic. So decided to break it free. Well guess what, sitting under that old fella was a half ounce nugget, it was a small bedrock depression. How many times did I walk past that, bleep it, and go hahha you arent fooling me. Looking back the first things bedrock cracks and depressions receive are gold. Along comes mankind and liberates lots of steel from old mining activities. Gold or coal. So the crack/ depression just keeps on doing its job and snaring any aimless passing wanderer, even if its a bit of steel. After that I kinda had a different view on using the iron discrimination knob. Sure I dug lots of iron, but did snare a few hiders. Thats what I call them now. Hiding, so now I go One two three, coming ready or not. Its a bit like I suggested to Grizzle, crack out dig every crack.

Only trust your detector 50% when on bedrock outcrops and cracks.

Grizzle  
Posted : Sunday, 17 August 2014 11:43:47 PM(UTC)
Grizzle

Man
New Zealand

cheers a.gain Trev.. thats great advice about scraping out the cracks - I'm using / getting the hang of a Garret AT Gold.. haven't found anything yet but haven't had the opportunity to use it too much either.. just been putting in the research on where & how to look with a detector.. obviously bedrock is the key... I'm currently convalescing at the staff quarters at the Franz YHA courtesy of a friend that works here, plush spot.. already looking forward to the sauna after tomorrows activities... ('pffff - kids these days!') .. the staff are talking of a Tatare Tunnels / secret gorge mission at some stage (they must be gold tunnels, surely?)... I also ducked into Hercules Creek on the way, couldn't get any colours in a coupla quick pans but there are track markers up the creek bed - any tips there folks?..,. I'm gonna go back anyway, a real honey of a west coast creek...stay tuned.
The Hatter  
Posted : Monday, 18 August 2014 12:26:56 AM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Hi Grizzly

I know a wee creek that flows into the larger creek that comes out of Lake Mapourika. Its right on the side of the road, has a bit of gold. But only on the banks of the larger creek. If you are there for a day or two I will try and google the exact location. Head up to the Forks on the Okarito Road, a bit of gold tends to hide away there, same watershed. All glacial down there, but most of the creeks have old workings up them, McDonalds Creek seems to ring a bell. Hell it was 30 years ago, I had a dibble in that area.

Grizzle  
Posted : Monday, 18 August 2014 1:05:57 AM(UTC)
Grizzle

Man
New Zealand

thanks Trev, that would be awesome to get some co-ords........ MacDonalds flows into Lake Mapourika at the northern end, pretty much where Okarito River flows out of it... was gonna have a look at MacDonalds for sure (looks like the Hilux might be able to head up the creek bed a fair way as well ..fingers crossed!)... i have some info that Consolidated Traders (Mines) Ltd.used to have a working pit about 1km up MacDonalds about where the 2nd tributary flows in so might be worth a wander up there, looks like a nice walk any.way... might have to check the Forks out as well... seems like there was 2 other pits working below the Forks back in the day as well using methods : 'manual, riffle box, suction dredge' via 'glacial outwash gravel & till'...
The Hatter  
Posted : Monday, 18 August 2014 1:57:21 AM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

And Grizzles

Dont even think about going up the Callery Gorge, we prefer you to stay on this Planet for quite some time. And anyway its been all done, more or less. And you definitely need alpine experience and climbing gung ho. And a partner. So if thats your honey spot, put it in the can. The suspected gold feeder to the Callery Gorge is the Balfour Glacier. I used to do a little tiki touring in that area when I was about 20. And a member of the West Coast Alpine Club. I kinda think there is one guy on this forum, that knows quite a bit about the good ole Callery.

Cheers Trev Aka " The Hatter"
PS. I will do a google tomorrow and do X marks the spot.
Grizzle  
Posted : Monday, 18 August 2014 2:02:37 AM(UTC)
Grizzle

Man
New Zealand

cheers Trev.. yeah i did read that the Callery was wetsuit and swimming styles!... was thinkin of just enjoying the walk up to the bridge and panning a little colour at the juntion there.. I'd also heard that the first stream on the walk up to the Callery junction from Franz was supposed to be good as well(?)... anyway, I'm off to my spot x for the first time tomorrow...stay tuned!... (and nup, no alpine experience needed thankfully!)
The Hatter  
Posted : Monday, 18 August 2014 7:55:33 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Last Night I had a dream.

I was over nighting in the Kellys hut high on Kellys range before dropping into the Taipo Valley the next day. Darkness had fallen, and snow flurries were falling. I became a little alarmed as in the hut was a pack and sleeping bag and on the table was a half pack of 303 rounds. Taking what small amount of firewood that was left in the hut, I climbed to the top of the peak, my carbide lamp was but a feeble beacon. I soon had a robust fire going. Like a signal fire in days gone by. Just as my meager supply of wood was about to depart. I heard a shout in the distance, "Hold the Light" . On went the last few scraps of wood. Out of the darkness he came, snow covered, a 303 fully wooded rifle slung over his shoulder. A sugar bag pack on his back. Damm he said, "Thanks for the Light" even if I can't light a smoke in these hellish conditions. I over judged my wanderings just a tad. And I was surely in for a cold night. Guess we are gunna be in for one in the hut as you just burnt all the firewood. Frig I thought, I save his life and now he's moaning about the lack of firewood. Who is this guy.

So back to the hut we go, alas the stove has just about gone out. Never fear my visitor says, I have a stash close by. The Forest Service and I have a little agreement, one load of wood for the hut and one for me. And soon he returns with ample wood and holly bloody hell, some coal,
Coal on Kellys Range, frig me unbelievable, he must have a really good deal going with the Forest Service, me thinks.

Get a brew on young fella he says. I'm dying for a good cup of tea, and then has this big chuckle. And then he takes off his swanni, his sugar bag, leans his 303 against the table, and says two sugars thanks. My god I save his life and now he wants his tea with two bloody sugars. Just who is this guy. Soon the billy is boiling, so I plonk his much awaited cup of tea down in front of him, with his two bloody sugars. My very small sugar ration has just diminished somewhat.

Right he says, time to swap names, I'm Barry. And Im Trev I reply. Are we gunna do surnames, he asks. Well I guess we had better I reply as we may be snowed in for a few days. I'm Trevor Alty, bit of a queer name he says, but a bit like mine I'm Crump.

Oh frig, holly bloody hell I cry, " Your Dead". "There was a rumour going around about that he replies. But here I ductions are am alive and well. And enjoying your cuppa, but you didn't quite get the sugar quite right. You don't happen to have any grog up here do you. No bloody way Barry, where at 4500 feet, I don't lug grog that high, neither do I he says, so we have a dry hut. Yep I tnink only because you have a secret stash of coal and wood.

Well Crumpet I say, what brings you here, smack, he had that 303 in his hands in seconds, and gives me a hearty smack on the side of the head with the butt. " I don't like being called " Crumpet" grasshopper he says. Oh well that was lesson number one. No more crumpets for me, I guess. Shit I said that hurt, Mr Crump, he replied, " It hurt me more than it did you. There is a lesson there.
head
Ok I thought one last try. Ok Crumbles, want another cuppa. Wham, down I go again. Yep two sugars and get it right this time. Frig and double frig. I just gotta start getting this right. So one last try, ok Mr Crump what brings you here, wham wack down I go again. Those ole 303 butts are made of hardwood, I can testify to that.

Sometimes introductions are a tad hard but this is the worst one I have ever had to endure. Not one but three fully wooded head butts.
Ok Barry, Im Trev. Bout time he said, reached into his sugar bag and fetched out two lovely hind back steaks. Guess you are the cook tonight. I wasn't arguing at that, Im not about to receive number four.

So on went a venison stew, spuds, and carrots. Wish I had have taken up red peppers and green peppers and crushed pepper corns. Lucky me that would have been blow four. But at last we are getting on like good ole mates, and I am awaiting with baited breath for Barry to call me " A Good Keen Man".

After our hearty meal we sit back. Barry lets a mighty burp go and then this tremendous fart. Damm I was impressed. Shit those were beauty's Barry. Yep he said, that's how I call in the stags in the roar. Damm I am impressed. So give him another helping of stew and one for myself so I can learn the technique.

So now its hut time. Another brew. By this time Barry has got me breaking the tea bags, oh these new fangled things are beyond me he reckons.

Okay have you read my books, he asks. Yep every bloody one I reply. Which ones did you like the best, Well Barry a few were crap, but I really liked " A Good Keen Man" and "Gold and Greenstone". Why do you say Crap, well Barry when you write from your heart and take people into your world, those are good books. When your publisher wants you to write more. Then you have to make things up. Thats why a " A Good Keen Man" was your best ever book. It was real it was you.

Why are you here Barry. " I want you to write a book. I don't want to. You have too. Don't want too. Why. I'm scared. What of. Failure I guess. And the time it will take. I did "A Good Keen Man" in a month. Frig it will take me about 12. Hows your head, bloody sore Barry, thanks to you. Whats that thing in the corner. Why Barry thats a Minelab SD2300 Military specifications. Frig Trev whats the blast radius. Na Barry its a gold Detector, it finds gold. Bloody hell Trev, how does it do that. To complicated for you Barry. I agree. When you drop down into the Taipo, go here. Give me a pencil and a bit of dunny paper. As you used the last of the paper here to light your big bonfire on the peak which I didn't really need, but was sure glad to see.

Right lets get some shut eye, I get the bottom bunk, you the top. And no farting. We dont want any stags hanging around. Goodnight Alltea and no sugar, ok Crumpet. I'll let you off with that one alltea, see ya in the morning. And when we get back to the Otira Pub its your shout. OK.

I awoke in the morning. He was gone. Not a sign. Oh well travelling another ridge, I thought. One of these days his Forest Service supplied 303 ammo is gunna run out. But knowing him he reloads, somehow.

I trudged back down the track, the next day. And then the few miles to Otira, where I was getting the Vulcan Railcar back to Greymouth.
But I had a two hour wait until the ChCh to Greymouth Railcar arrived. So off to the Pub I went.

Gidday said the Publican, what will you have. Two 12 ounce beers please, I replied. Two he said, but there is only you. One for my mate and one for me, I replied. But there is only you he said. Rest assured I said my mate will turn up. Bang down went my first one, never touched the sides.
And then started looking at the old photo's on the wall. Turned around and frig me (my first frig me of the day) the other glass was empty.
Fill them up again sir, it seems I have company. The publican just kinda looked at me as if I was a bit strange. Well Barry and I got through six 12 oz beers before I left for the railway station. But on his last, while I was in the dunny, I came back. An empty glass. But there on the bar counter next to my glass, was a 303 shell case with a bit of paper sticking out of it. And not dunny paper. It read. " Write the Book Grasshopper" and yep you are "A Good Keen Man"

A Tribute to Barry Crump.

Thanks Metal Kiwi. And I think Barry thanks you too.

Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Monday, 18 August 2014 9:13:12 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Bloody good yarn Trev.

MK

fisty  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 August 2014 12:52:33 PM(UTC)
fisty

New Zealand

Ah, glaciation - please continue sir! I only started reading about Terminal Moraines last week and initially thought they were some kind of miners disease. :D
overdog  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 August 2014 6:50:42 PM(UTC)
overdog

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Me and my mate found that when doing bedrock with a Detector, you get more gold by digging out every crevice. Stick the dirt in a plastic pan and give it a wave with the magic wand. No beep, discard. Slower but at the end of the day you get more gold. Most gold in bedrock cracks tends to lay on its side, so there is a very small profile presented to the Detector.

That may well be the single most brilliant piece of gold detecting advice I have ever heard-I never even thought of it like that.

Hatter you are a bloody legend and next time youre round these parts I will stand you a beer or 5.

The Hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 19 August 2014 8:29:33 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Hi all

Well thank you Overdog. Its called crackology, now keep your mind above your belts gentleman. Some cracks go very deep, and many actually will reverse like an L. When one underwater gold dredges and pulls cracks apart, hey I know a good word. Deconstruct them. It amazing just where a crack goes, what angle and how deep. Heres another tip, if you see bedrock and there is a tiny line of moss on it. Thats a crack. Get your cracking tools out and deconstruct it. A cold chisel and a hammer, will do the trick. Hairline cracks always continue to amaze me. One hairline crack I broke open went down two feet, and there was gold all the way down. All on its side. I can only assume that way back when the gold was captured by that crack it was more open. But over the eons of time closed up. So like I said see a tiny line of moss, that's a crack..

I had a very good day today. Got bored, so decided to make my two monthly trip to the Pub. And I always chuck a few bob into the pokies. Well for a twenty dollar outlay I walked out with $1100.00 dollars, struck the jackpot and then a little bit more. That was a bloody good crack indeed.

In the bank it goes tomorrow, and eventually into Metal Kiwis bank. A very generous discount indeed on my soon to be new S.DC2300 Minelab Detector. Maybe I will have to keep shouting Barry more beers.

The Hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 20 August 2014 9:42:32 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Hi All.

At Last a true Story. The birth of our Claim on the mighty Buller river.

" The Picking RocK"

Many times had I driven past Grangers Point, that's just past the Berlins Hotel in the lower Buller Gorge. But on this day when I gazed out, things had kinda changed. There had been a mighty flood in the good ole Buller. Its kinda known for them. But in the distance I saw bedrock outcrops sticking out, where only a few weeks ago it was just a major gravel beach, the river had changed channels, this outcropping was high and dry. Out came the binoculars, yep thats good ole mother bottom, in all her glory. Right lets work out a way to get down to it. So back home I went, one doesn't want to rush things. Got hold of my mining partner, " Charlie the Yank" yep he is a god damm Yankee from Maine. But just happened to live next door to me, well for half the year anyway, till his Visa ran out. Bugger me days he's naturalized now, he and his Mrs are bloody Kiwis. But he sure doesnt talk like one.

So we do a trip in the next weekend. A bit of bush bashing down from Grangers Point, and we are out on the beach. Now its only a 200 metre walk to the outcrops. And we are there. It was even better when we got close up to it, more extensive than I thought. Well we had our cracking tools and a pan or two. But as we begain to wander over it. We started to see gold. There were cracks everywhere, and the yellow meal was gleaming at us everywhere we looked. It was tweasers out and just pull the flakes out, who needed a pan and cracking tools. We were in heaven. Frig Charlie I cried, this place has to have a name. So I shall call it the " Picking Rock" as all we have to do is pick the gold out.

Now all we need to do is lug our dredge in, cause I can see exposed bottom all over the place out in the river. So best we go see the farmer as we need to cross his farm to get easy access to this new find. And we need to do it quick, if I saw it, others can. We shall return next weekend with our dredge and then by bloody hell if its any good, then we claim it.

More to come.

2 Pages12>