New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 September 2014 12:00:04 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
From experience does anyone have any tips for defining the boundaries for a claim once a suitable area has been found? Basically anything that might reduce red tape or headaches.

E.g.

Is it best to make sure area doesn't overlap DOC conservation land if possible?

Is it best to make sure area doesn't cover river owned by different organisations (DOC and another part Crown Minerals), perhaps leading to 2 sets of access agreements being required?

Anything you can think of really!

Also, how do you discover if a river is owned by DOC or Crown Minerals? Is there an online tool / website anywhere that has this data for the public to access?

Which organisation is easier to deal with regarding getting and access agreement, DOC or Crown Minerals?
Golddigger7  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 September 2014 3:41:26 PM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
what you do is tell me where it is and I'll get the claim :-)

LINZ can do a land status report for you which will disclose who the controlling authority is for land/riverbed in question. If you want to camp etc on the marginal strip then you will consulting with that controlling authority, but this is not part of the minerals access.

So, for example, My Arrow claim, part of the river bed is in historic reserve, controlled by DOC, so one concession required there. The rest of the river bed is owned by LINZ so rental access agreement required there. I camp on the marginal strip, which is controlled by doc, so this is included in my doc concession.

Perhaps breaking up your access agreements so that they fit with your work programe is the best idea, if the area is over multiple ownerships, to keep initial costs low, so that you are just working within one access arrangement at a time, otherwise you will be paying 'rental' over areas that you are not mining yet. There may be some risk to this approach should you be finding good ground and the rental costs start climbing as well, (more likely with privately held land).

DOC can be slow with arrangments, just got to sit on there desks, and they require a deposit as well, so best to avoid if at all possible. Access with respect to the Act, is to access the minerals and mine them. Dont forget to check out required RC's, in Otago, a 6", 10hp dredge is allowed for under the ORC rules, but other areas are not so lucky and you will need additional permits, such as, disturb river bed, take water, discharge water.

Sorry Gav, but no easy blue print to follow, just give yourself plenty of time, research all requirements first and start the ball rolling. Often getting the permit is the easy part.

GD

Aotea  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 September 2014 6:30:45 PM(UTC)
Aotea

New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Gidday golddigger..agreed, it just takes time, knowledge and patience. Your advice about the dredge in otago being permitted is incorrect thou. Rule 13.5.17 of the water plan and schedule 7 and the 'E' maps need to be read. Some areas are as you say permitted, but many are not. ORC are known to hunt out unconsented dredgers, even using helicopters. if they snap you, they'l have ya...they are into prosecuting people for first offence these days, employed new staff to hunt people out and the courts give them 90% of the fine. a revenue gathering bit of filth.

so the arrow is fine, but plenty shaded areas in this map would need consent. i used to write these for my job, from hobby miners, to birchfields on the coast to oceania golds deepdell or frasers pit. Always happy to offer my knowledge to a hobby miner and help get through the redtape for free..

Edited by user Wednesday, 10 September 2014 9:22:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 September 2014 10:08:12 PM(UTC)
gavin

Cheers guys - very much appreciated! I'm looking more at the west coast as a bit closer to home ;) But I'm also hoping to get involved in a claim down your way as part of a group taking over an established claim with any luck, so all the red tape there will have been sorted I hope.

@Golddigger7 - So if I get a claim with river that covers both LINZ and DOC controlled ground then I could just approach LINZ first for an access agreement and avoid the DOC land initially to keep things simple? I think that's what you're saying. I don't need to approach DOC until I want to push in to that area?

I've heard some horror stories about the fees involved with DOC for access agreements. Heard cases where it's more expensive than the actual claim for a small hobby claim. Worries me a wee bit! :(
Aotea  
Posted : Wednesday, 10 September 2014 11:24:40 PM(UTC)
Aotea

New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Gavin,
DoC is quicker, far quicker than LINZ. Their costs up front are around 1500, and they usually seek a 1k bond, and indemnity insurance, and say 1k a year rental. LINZ does get there, similar costs except the 1500 up front. doc can be tougher on historic remnants which can be a pain, but....you have a legal obligation not to damage or alter or modify any of those structures/remnants anyway. hitting them up front is a signal of what is there, stuff we miners wouldnt necessarily see. it means we know where we can mine. with linz, and avoiding a resource consent you are at risk of making a mistake and being smashed. it has happened, and is ugly.
i have developed a number of riverbed claims and personally would rather deal with doc over linz. for example i have a claim thats landbased now, some is a linz block, some owned by a company who lease the land to a stock grazer and some thats in doc land. i will be sticking to solely the 70ha of doc, and sitting on the rest.

gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 11 September 2014 9:45:54 AM(UTC)
gavin

Cheers for the info Aotea. Good to know!

BTW - the area I was looking at sits within an Platinum NZ 2013 Competitive Tender area so apparently I can't get a claim on it. Bugger! I'll keep looking.
NUGGY  
Posted : Friday, 12 September 2014 11:43:58 AM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
My understanding is that now if you submit a new mining licence application on public land, it is then put up for tender and highest bidder gets it. I hope I have this wrong but ?????? I have held a mining licence under the old rules but have not bothered to properly check out the new regulations. NUGGY
simon  
Posted : Friday, 12 September 2014 1:25:04 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Gavin, if you want the area bad enough i'd talk to the platinum guys. Its seems they are after platinum only. You are after gold only. Perhaps they will allow you in there under their license even? Someone like you could work it small scale and provide them with data regarding any platinum you find, where, how much, etc. So really they would be getting free data and you would have access. I've heard of similar setups on gold permits. Where the bigger operators let the small guys in and act basically as samplers, providing useful info on finds in return for access. Of course there has to be a bit of trust but as long as everyone is honest.
I've ended up with access to several claims under different arrangements. Usually the claim owners gets in return a percentage which helps cover some annual expenses, someone to keep an eye on their claim, someone that can advise claim jumpers of any legal issues and what the claim owner's wishes are is regard to any access for them or not and under what conditions, and data on returns and locations of deposits, ground type, depth, etc, etc.
It's great to be able to work different locations in varying scenery without have to stick to one permit that you've paid loads to get set up. Sure, one day i will get a claim of my own probably but this works until one comes along for sale or i find somewhere for a new permit.

If you end up dealing with DOC watch what you are paying for. I know of claims where dredges aren't even allowed, and before and after photos are needed, and rocks can't even be moved by hand. You have to think what are you paying for if it gets to this sort of stuff.
Ultimately i think its about keeping costs down and inline for your personal situation. Something the likes of DOC and the rest don't seem to understand. Would be a bugger to have a rich claim that only saw the fees collectors benefit. And a dud claim will just eat your money.
Personally i enjoy the outdoors and see it as a bit like paying costs for any sport or hobby. And hopefully any finds can cover some of those expenses.

I note you said you might be part of a group for a claim. I had a guy here talking about a group round here with a new claim down this way also. While a group would be awesome i think the less people making equal decisions the better. All i've heard from various permit holders is there is always conflict when it comes to gold, money and expenses. Then there's who is allowed in, like mates of mates, then there's who is there for what time etc etc.

Simon.
1864hatter  
Posted : Friday, 12 September 2014 5:09:31 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Just got the following email, Dear Permit Holder,

If you have questions or concerns about your permit, NZP&M are running one-on-one workshops specifically for Tier 2 permit-holders.

The workshops are confidential. We can help with any problems, issues or questions you have regarding your permit or your obligations under the Crown Minerals Act.

We’ll answer your questions about:

· how to apply for a new permit or a permit change

· technical reports

· annual reports

· royalty returns

· compliance

· utilisation

· requirements for lodging data.

When: October 1 & 2

Where: Ashley Hotel, Greymouth

How to book

To book your appointment, contact us:

Freephone 0508 263 782

Email [email protected].
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 15 September 2014 8:08:04 PM(UTC)
gavin

@Simon - Cheers. Unfortunately the Platinum reserved area is actually reserved by Crown Minerals itself. Looks like the bidding process should have been completed by now and the winning companies announced in June so I don't know why the area is still reserved. I'll get in contact with Crown Minerals and ask directly.

I like the idea that you've come up with to have a play - work on other claims with permission. Do the claim owners tend to ask if you have liability insurance? I think it tends to be a condition for some land access by DOC or LINZ? Not 100% sure if always needed.
simon  
Posted : Monday, 15 September 2014 9:29:21 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hi Gavin, yeah if you're dredging you will probably need to get some public liability insurance. I think ours covered several people and covered anywhere we went from memory. We had a proper lease but ended up elsewhere too. Reminds me i need to see about this year.
You never know what may happen on the river. It covers all sorts of stuff. Right down to burning the place down if you dredge catches alight.
gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 16 September 2014 1:06:57 PM(UTC)
gavin

I got in touch with Crown Minerals about the Platinum reserved areas. Seems they've extended the reserves till July 2015 now. BTW - I think "platinum" is just used as a name and not related to the mineral.