New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

KraziKiwi  
Posted : Saturday, 9 July 2011 6:42:47 PM(UTC)
KraziKiwi

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hi all want to get the ultimate power out of you motor and pump we need to
find some good plans for one of these.Do a google search and tell me what you
think.I am a stainless fabricator and am wanting to make a nice light one!!!
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 11 July 2011 7:26:20 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Hi guys, Here is a diagram of an infinity jet.

UserPostedImage

The picture is self explanatory......the water from the pump pressure hose enters the outer jacket incasing the whole suction hose power jet end & the water pressure is forced & directed out the end in the direction of the arrows. This causes the venture suction at the suction hose end to be of a uniform & equal amount over the whole exit end of the suction hose where as with a side entry pressure hose in to a power jet the water pressure entering at the angle to the main power jet tube is going to deflect off the side of the power jet & isnt blasting down the power jet tube in the centre, & in theory not being totaly efficient due to friction loss etc.

UserPostedImage

Another thing with the side entry pressure hose is that as material is moving & coming up the suction hose the material is seperating & sorting itself as to its specific grafity, ie the heavies, gold & black sands are draging behind the lighter material & falling to the bottom of the suction hose as it moves its way up from the stream bed towards the power jet & on to the sluice box. Guess what happens when that pre-sorted material passes over the power jet pressure hose inlet that is coming in on that angle???..... it blasts all that pre-sorted material in the suction hose all over the place & remixes it all up again just prior to the material hitting the sluice box. Not only that but with the old crasher boil baffle box style header box of earlier dredges, that did the exact same thing only a lot worse as you can see in the below diagram.

UserPostedImage

Why waste all that effort of the material naturally sorting itself as it is coming up the suction hose?? That has been some what improved with todays flare entry into the sluice box, replacing the old crasher type box entry. The only benefit of a crasher type header box is if you are dealing with clayey, sticky, puggy type material. The crasher/boil box will slam the material into the back wall of the box, thus helping to shatter the material, plus the boiling stirring action inside the box will further help in breaking up this type of material.

Getting back to the jetting systems of dredges: ie, power jets & suction nozzles.
These are what create the suction of a dredge venturi system & no material is sucked through the pump itself. Imagine the damage to a pump if this were the case.... A volume of water under pressure is pumped into a steel tube at an angle as shown in the above diagram. This causes a vacuum effect, venturi effect, just behind where the water enters the main power jet tube, which in the case of a suction nozzle being at the start of the suction hose, pushers the material up the hose. Where as with a power jet being usually at the end of the suction hose & just prior to entering the sluice box, pulls the material up the suction hose.
The jet system is the most important component of a suction dredge. The idea is to get the highest pressure & greatest volume that is attainable from a pump & utilise it to its most effectiveness to get the most suction power at the suction hose entry.. This is done by reducing the size of the jet eductor just prior to it entering the main jet tube, be it a power jet or a suction nozzle. Here we have a 4" suction nozzle. You will see how the pressure pipe inlet in to the suction nozzle at the elbow bend enters to blast the water pressure down the centre of the main pipe & so being quite efficient due to no bouncing off the side wall & less friction losse.

UserPostedImage

Here we have a pic looking down inside the nozzle were you can see the reduced size of the eductor. The pressure hose from the pump to the nozzle is 1.5 inch & reduces at this point to about 3/4 of an inch to ramp up the pressure a lot more to create the venturi effect in the nozzle. It is also at this point that a trash pump, which is designed for water volume, will cavitate & choke as they arent designed for pressure. Where as a pump designed for a dredge is volume & pressure. Big difference.

UserPostedImage

Close up

UserPostedImage

Here we have a 4" power jet.

UserPostedImage

You will notice the inlet of the pressure pipe inlet coming in from the side & the angle it is entering at. This pic is taken looking up the the power jet from the entry end of the suction hose & towards its discahrge into the sluice box.

UserPostedImage

And this is looking back down the oppostie way & you can see the pressur inlet.

UserPostedImage

The highest volume & highest pressure mixture is hard to get right without trial & error on the part of the dredge builder & why most dredgers buy their equipment instead of building their own. Different pumps have different pressure & volume capacities which require different size power jet eductor reductions.
These changes also effect how wide & long a sluice box needs to be in order to accomodate & coupe with the amount of water being pumped down & through the box. So as you can see it is all a bit of a science to get all the right mixes to have an efficient set up from motor/pump through to your suction system & sluice box /gold saving ability.

Happy hunting

JW :)

oroplata  
Posted : Monday, 11 July 2011 8:09:35 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Interesting stuff.

I would say that in order to not be wasting time/losing gold when out sluicing, a test setup could be used at home with a bulk load of material from your target stream (including gold particles), where you continuously feed it through your sluice until you get the optimum dredge and sluice box design.

It might take some work, but at least then you'd know that you were capturing all the gold going up your dredge pipe.

kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 11 July 2011 2:07:25 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi there, Your best bet is to use your dredge out in the field & capture your tailings & test pan them to see if any gold is escaping. If it is then you need to make some adjustments. The gold shouldnt really be getting down to the last half of your box.

KraziKiwi  
Posted : Monday, 11 July 2011 8:27:50 PM(UTC)
KraziKiwi

Awsome JW the infinity jet looks different from the ones I have seen.Do you know any angles
of entry or the gap between the inner and outer casing????
kiwijw  
Posted : Monday, 11 July 2011 11:57:54 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Hi Krazi, I guess you have seen this thread. If not check out the 3 photo's in the first post. I dont know much about them myself but these should give you something to work from. The image I put up is probably more theory but gets the principle across of how it works.

http://golddredgingforum...on=display&thread=41

Thats a wicked photo of your dredge up that tree. You are going to lose that dredge one day. How many times is it now that it has riden out a flood?? You are bloody keen leaving it in the water. You & Steve are finding some nice gold too. Excellent & well done. Good to see some one is out there doing it & thanks for the pics.
I am trying hard to get down to QT for work so I can get out detecting in my spare time. I have 3 more contacts to try out. Got a phone call tonight about building a house down there but it is a way off at the moment.

Happy hunting

gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 July 2011 7:41:35 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwijw Go to Quoted Post

Lol! Amusing - seems this forum doesn't like competition as I've been blocked from accessing it :P

Still got on it to have a look though using an online anonymiser service.
KraziKiwi  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 July 2011 11:02:54 PM(UTC)
KraziKiwi

How can you be blocked you can PM me if you want to.I already have made a 3 inch one to my own
specs and this thing is awsome way better than a power jet way better than any thing I have made
Eat your heart out keene engineering!!!!!!!
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 July 2011 11:33:05 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KraziKiwi Go to Quoted Post
How can you be blocked you can PM me if you want to.

Just blocked the IP address of my home connection as I have something called a static IP address. Doesn't really stop me - just found it a little amusing. Anyway - don't want to hijack this thread with something non-golden so I'll leave it at that! ;)
kiwijw  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 July 2011 11:51:59 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

How can you be blocked you can PM me if you want to.I already have made a 3 inch one to my own
specs and this thing is awsome way better than a power jet way better than any thing I have made
Eat your heart out keene engineering!!!!!!!

Awesome Krazi, you may be on to a winner then. What pump are you running it on, & P 180?? Why did you make only a 3"?? how much would you charge for a 4" version??

Happy hunting

KraziKiwi  
Posted : Thursday, 14 July 2011 8:12:56 PM(UTC)
KraziKiwi

Running a 7hp motor and a P180 pump.Quite a bit of work involved but I will be making a 6"
one for myself.The next one I will make adjustable so it slides in and out to get the best suction!!!
goldfinger  
Posted : Friday, 15 July 2011 7:23:29 AM(UTC)
goldfinger

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Venturi Jet Analysis
New Life for the Suction Nozzle
Specific Gravity

Venturi Jet Analysis
by Reggie Gould

I am not sure what the first prototype looked like but the early nozzles I have seen, are the suction type nozzles. I have in the past done some extensive testing on various types of venturi jet generators and have written an article for the ICMJ, called New Life For The Suction Nozzle. I used the basic straight jet venturi as the baseline and compared it to the tri-jet, the suction nozzle and the infinity jet. The infinity jet produced the most vacuum, the tri-jet was 2nd, & the suction nozzle was 3rd, the straight jet came in last in performance. There are some strange dynamics going on inside the various jets. If one were to make each jet out of clear plastic, then he could study the fluid dynamics going on inside each jet.

more here at http://www.gouldeng.com/stech.htm
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 15 July 2011 1:32:57 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Running a 7hp motor and a P180 pump.Quite a bit of work involved but I will be making a 6"
one for myself.The next one I will make adjustable so it slides in and out to get the best suction!!!

Hi Krazi, If you were able to link in to that link I put up on my post above the photos show an adjustable infinity jet like you are describing, & if you read the posts following on from that link there is talk of that & clearances too.
Good on you for what you are doing & giving it a shot at making. You never know what may come of that if they are a lot mofe efficient than a powr jet or suction nozzle. Might pay to suss out patent rights etc.

Hows the bloody weather been this week!!!!

Happy hunting

regards

John :)
goldfinger  
Posted : Sunday, 17 July 2011 10:26:00 AM(UTC)
goldfinger

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
TheEquineFencer  
Posted : Thursday, 3 September 2015 8:29:57 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Message was deleted by a Moderator. | Reason: Not specified