New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Gold hopeful  
Posted : Friday, 12 December 2014 6:48:56 AM(UTC)
Gold hopeful

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Hi guys,

I read the forums avidly, but as a Brit its a long way from NZ. Im staying with family in Auckland for New years but am planning an expedition from the 9th to 16th Jan to South Island.

I have done a lot of reading but am pretty much a complete novice. I went to Arrow river a couple of years ago and got infected with the gold bug and have been itching to go back ever since. I bumped into a local who taught me how to pan. The UK has some gold but its not nearly so much fun as in NZ.

I was hoping for one of two things since this forum is full of great characters:
1) a recommendation on where to go in south island, the whole lot is open to me as I have a week and can get a plane to anywhere.
2) a better result would be to go along with someone so that I can learn from the experts.

If anyone is willing to help I would be really appreciative.

Thanks

Steve
c4bb0ose  
Posted : Friday, 12 December 2014 11:08:34 AM(UTC)
c4bb0ose

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
All of the public fossicking area are in the south island, if you click on the permit map on the top bar it will have the option to the view these areas. There is a big concentration in and around queenstown that you can get to and the next concentration is in the north west area of the south island (these are more remote however).

If someone has a claim and is willing to let you go off and explore it that would also be ideal.