New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

LBD  
Posted : Thursday, 8 January 2015 12:33:30 PM(UTC)
LBD

Groups: Registered
Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
The sign at new creek....
LBD attached the following image(s):
New Creek rules.jpg
nafcd  
Posted : Thursday, 8 January 2015 6:14:21 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
they are tougher than I thought they were. technically you cant even use a gold hogg because its hand operated.
ted wilson  
Posted : Friday, 9 January 2015 2:41:01 PM(UTC)
ted wilson

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I kow I am a guest here.... but the DOC seems to be taking things a alittle further than the law..

This is from a 2011 DOC publication...

‘The designated gold fossicking sites provide a recreational gold panning experience for families and others to enjoy for some fun and to hopefully collect a few flakes of gold. Those using motorised equipment in these approved fossicking sites are spoiling it for others.

From the actual law:

98 Gold fossicking areas (Crown land)

(1) The appropriate Minister and the Minister may, by notice in the Gazette, jointly designate any area of Crown land as a gold fossicking area, which shall then be open for public fossicking in respect of gold.

(2) The area and location of every gold fossicking area declared under subsection (1) shall be defined in the notice under that subsection.

(3) Every person shall have the right to mine for gold in a gold fossicking area by means only of non-motorised hand held tools.

(4) The designation of an area of land as a gold fossicking area does not prevent or restrict the granting of any permit in respect of that area.

(5) The Minister may, by notice in the Gazette, revoke any designation of a gold fossicking area.

Section 98 heading: amended, on 24 May 2013, by section 50 of the Crown Minerals Amendment Act 2013 (2013 No 14).

I see no mention of a few flakes.......
and is says by use of non mptorised hand held tools...... how this became the list shown on the board, I am not sure.....

But I a a guest here, so it looks like thems is the rules.....
LBD  
Posted : Friday, 9 January 2015 4:55:32 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
DOC land and Crown land are not the same...

there is Crown land then there is DOC land owned by the crown but managed with much strictor guidlines

My claim has both DOC and Crown land areas and each is subject to different access agreements... pathetic I know.
ted wilson  
Posted : Sunday, 11 January 2015 9:14:55 AM(UTC)
ted wilson

Man
New Zealand

Fair enough. I misunderstood. How do you tell which of the public areas are DOC? Are they all DOC?

I also spend a hour on the DOC site, and it is hard to find the rules on their site.

Golddigger7  
Posted : Monday, 12 January 2015 9:46:21 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I would like to know what the legal definition of "active stream bed' actually is, hope it doesnt mean wetted riverbed as this will make hand tools even harder. DOC can make rukes for there managed land only, some river beds are managed by LINZ and some by DOC, really depends on legal widths marginal strips etc. If creek is not wide enough, there may not have been a seperate marginal strip and legal river bed created so the land will be managed as per the surrounding land. So if the creek is in within say a conservation area then the creek bed will also be within conservation area and be subject to any rules they see as reasonable. However this being said, DOC cant create rukes that are adverse to statutes created by parliament.
ted wilson  
Posted : Monday, 12 January 2015 12:38:38 PM(UTC)
ted wilson

Man
New Zealand

I pulled this from the

crown minerals act 1991. section 2

Bed means—

(a) in relation to any river, the space of land which the waters of the river cover at its fullest flow without overtopping the banks; and

(b) in relation to a lake, the space of land which the waters of the lake cover at its highest level without exceeding its physical margin; and

(c) in relation to the sea, the submarine areas covered by the internal waters and the territorial sea

The doc seems to take a narrow view of things. (limiting hand tools to 4 items.....) but it is a starting point.

I am looking a=on their site, and have not fond a definition.

nafcd  
Posted : Monday, 12 January 2015 7:14:15 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
where are you planning to go ted. if you are looking at public areas overseen by hokitika doc then e mail them. I have queried them on various things relating to fossicking and they have been really helpful.
ted wilson  
Posted : Tuesday, 13 January 2015 8:43:21 AM(UTC)
ted wilson

Man
New Zealand

Thanks I will email them.

I was trying to find their rules on their web site. I saw a copy at one of the actual sites, like the one posted at the beginning of this thread, and I wanted to check something on it.

I will also post them some other questions and let you know the response. Specifically I will ask about a classifier, and a length of hose to feed water.