New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Atlantisbird  
Posted : Monday, 19 January 2015 12:57:45 AM(UTC)
Atlantisbird

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Hello everyone,
My wife Ann and I are coming to New Zealand's North Island for three months to visit our daughter and as we are a
member of The Bridlington Old Town Metal Detecting Club want to find out if there is any clubs or individuals in the North
of Auckland who can advise on where we are not allowed to go in New Zealand. We will only want to go out for the odd day
here and there as we enjoy the hobby. We have found a Queen Elizabeth Half Groat 1591 and a King William 3rd sixpence both
silver and in good condition both went to the Finds Liaison Officer for York Museum and through negotiation have been given
to North Frodingham (local) History Group's Museum for display, we are also members of the History Group.
We have two Deus metal detectors (bringing one) which is very light, powerful,full of programs for everything and easy to use.
It looks like a toy but produces good finds and most of our members are now using them as a really good piece of kit.

Here in the UK we have to have authority such as Crown Estates (for beaches) or permission from the land owner in order to
use a metal detector and most clubs insist on having insurance (£10.00 UK per year).

Look forward to seeing your replies.
Kindest regards
Harry
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 19 January 2015 1:53:42 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Hi there Atlantisbird. There are plenty of beaches North of Auckland or there abouts so you wont have a problem finding somewhere to detect. No license required to hunt here (yet) so thats all good.
I have noted that the UK has strict laws regarding detecting and fossicking. Guess thats a good thing as your finds there are often very old.
Good luck when here, if you come up to the Bay of Islands look me up.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 19 January 2015 8:49:24 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Detecting over here is pretty sparse compared to the UK - only 200years of metal-based society as opposed to 2000+ in the UK.
Still plenty of colonial finds around from the early days though which would be of interest in the display cabinet back home, but anything pre-1900 is doing well, pre-1800 is the Holy Grail.
20th and 21st century society has, however, made up for the lack of metallic older finds in recent years by exceeding its quota for discarded can tear tabs and bottle caps!

Probably pay to team up with someone locally in each region you're visiting as there are a lot of areas under Hysterical Places protection, as are a lot of city domains etc.

Be aware also that anywhere where blood was spilt during the Maori wars is Tapu, or sacred, and taken very seriously by the local Iwi (tribes).
There are also a lot of areas which appear to be reserve/wilderness etc but are Maori land, permission needs to be sought although I've found Maori far more obliging than most European landowners. It's just time-consuming finding out who to ask.

Having said that, there are still a lot of undiscovered older finds on beaches and in streams etc and not many detectors out here (relatively speaking)

Enjoy your stay, and feel free to bring a few Saxon hordes out to bury around the place!

MW
(From Zummerzet, M'Dearrrr)

Atlantisbird  
Posted : Tuesday, 20 January 2015 12:44:27 AM(UTC)
Atlantisbird

United Kingdom

Hello Creamer and Mudwiggle,
Thank you for the reply and information.
The Maori blood land was useful it must be the same as the Tanifar (spelling?) where the Maori tells you
wherever you go the land is sacred and you can not build or the ancestors have roots where you are
at any given moment. We were on a camping park near Piahia last time we came in a hired campervan and went to a meeting house at Wiatangi and watched a play in the meeting house which was all played by Maori people.
We both thoroughly enjoyed the performance and it was one of the best we have ever seen in our lives from anywhere in the world.
Latest news from the UK is that another Saxon hoard of coins has been found on one of the clubs weekend digs just north of London it was in a lead container so the coins are in very good condition. Ann my wife found what we think is a Roman coin on farmland near our home she could not find it at first so I went to look and it could have been easily missed as it was very small. Also on the same farm last year we found a solid brass lioness from the early 1800's and it was quite heavy 150x60x50mm thereabouts (it should have been gold) but the farmers daughter took a shine to it so once it had gone through the York Museums FLO lady who told us it was possibly off an early Victorian tea caddy was her best guess the lioness went to the farmers daughter. We find it is always best to be honest with the land owner here as it is difficult to get land and as long as when there is a hoard found we get our share we don't mind. We have researched near to us but we have not been allowed land near to where it is believed to have been both a Roman camp and Roman road. We only started metal detecting when we retired using an ATPro Garret but since have changed to the Deus which is better and lighter in our opinion.
Kindest regards
Harry & Ann
Atlantisbird  
Posted : Wednesday, 11 February 2015 10:37:28 AM(UTC)
Atlantisbird

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: creamer Go to Quoted Post
Hi there Atlantisbird. There are plenty of beaches North of Auckland or there abouts so you wont have a problem finding somewhere to detect. No license required to hunt here (yet) so thats all good.
I have noted that the UK has strict laws regarding detecting and fossicking. Guess thats a good thing as your finds there are often very old.
Good luck when here, if you come up to the Bay of Islands look me up.

HH

Hello Creamer,
We are now in Whangaparaoa and will go up to the Bay of Islands for a visit as we have no plans as yet our time is virtually free so if you are going on any digs or meetings we could meet up for a few hours if you like. We have brought with us one of our Deus metal detectors and a Garret sand sifter plus we have already bought a cheap small spade from a mall shop. Is there any metal detecting club meeting anywhere in the area where we are?
Kind regards
Ann & Harry
creamer  
Posted : Wednesday, 11 February 2015 7:24:29 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Gday Harry and Ann
Sorry i overlooked your post some weeks ago but glad to hear you are still here.
If conveniant i can meet you up this coming sunday. I will PM you my phone number, possibly you could call and we can meet up.

Shane

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 22 February 2015 12:53:56 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Awesome guys, looking forward to catching up with you in a couple of weeks.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 27 April 2015 10:50:23 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Caught up with the Atlantisbirds (Ann and Harry) little while back and had a great day out in the Bay detecting. Got to have a go on their XP Deaus what a choice machine. First descent coin they found was a 1951 NZ Penny so i was stoked for them on such a find. Ended up with a good dozen coins or so, a lead angel missing a wing, a .303 casing and the usual array of bi product. Ann took a shine to an old nail still lodged in a piece of wood.
Awesome couple and a real pleasure to be with. Caught up with them a second time for dinner as they were staying at a friends B&B near Paihia not far from the main beach. Cool place to be and metal detector friendly if you need a place to stay up this way.
As they are regular visitors to NZ i look forward to catching up with them again maybe next year.

Brent the amazing guitarist, myself, Ann and Harry.
UserPostedImage

The happy hunters in action
UserPostedImage

The finds
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Monday, 27 April 2015 11:11:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Atlantisbird  
Posted : Wednesday, 29 April 2015 5:18:41 AM(UTC)
Atlantisbird

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: creamer Go to Quoted Post
Caught up with the Atlantisbirds (Ann and Harry) little while back and had a great day out in the Bay detecting. Got to have a go on their XP Deaus what a choice machine. First descent coin they found was a 1951 NZ Penny so i was stoked for them on such a find. Ended up with a good dozen coins or so, a lead angel missing a wing, a .303 casing and the usual array of bi product. Ann took a shine to an old nail still lodged in a piece of wood.
Awesome couple and a real pleasure to be with. Caught up with them a second time for dinner as they were staying at a friends B&B near Paihia not far from the main beach. Cool place to be and metal detector friendly if you need a place to stay up this way.
As they are regular visitors to NZ i look forward to catching up with them again maybe next year.

Brent the amazing guitarist, myself, Ann and Harry.
UserPostedImage

The happy hunters in action
UserPostedImage

The finds
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

What a real pleasure meeting up with Shane and Brent on our first visit and day out with them. With the help of our lovely B&B
couple Pauline and Peter (fantastic, friendly place to stay in the Bay of Islands) we had a wonderful evening with "Creamer" Shane and Brent entertaining us with guitar duet and solos from both after a very nice BBQ meal.
Thanks to all the amazing people we have met on our trip never to be forgotten and the friendships formed so far away.
We have now arrived home to the UK and we look forward to coming back to New Zealand for another trip.

Our fondest regards
Atlantisbirds,
Ann & Harry, Bridlington, United Kingdom.