New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

LBD  
Posted : Saturday, 14 February 2015 5:56:17 PM(UTC)
LBD

Groups: Registered
Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Hi Guys... looking for inspiration.

I am in the process of making some fine gold recovery alterations to my dredge sluice... classifying, riffle sizes, waters speed and volume etc... I have plenty of ideas and information, but I was wondering if any one had any "out there left field" ideas they have tried with success?

Nothing like Knudsen bowls as size and weight exclude those...has to be part of the sluice set up.

LBD

NUGGY  
Posted : Saturday, 14 February 2015 10:44:55 PM(UTC)
NUGGY

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I found fine gold is best caught when there is as little turbulence as possible in the water flow. So riffles at the start to catch the coarse gold - then expanded metal held down by 8mm rods across it to keep it flat. Then at the end a few more riffles to try and catch those larger but skinny flakes that seem to flip out of everything. Miners moss under all of it. The less turbulence there is, more chance the gold has of dropping down through the water/mud and being trapped, each time the flow is flipped over, fine gold ends up near the top. I also like a draped bit of canvas or thin rubber to reduce surface tension. I also vary the gap between riffles, larger gaps are better at self clearing but will hold larger pebbles, I like hungarian style but not very tall, shorter is better to reduce the boil and flip effect. My preferences and the reasons for them - not everyone will agree. NUGGY
LBD  
Posted : Saturday, 14 February 2015 11:20:16 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Thanks Nuggy

Turbulance... You got me thinking... I had always viewed turbulance in two dimensions... but there is also the 3rd dimension, side to side. Possibly a series of thin vertical slats to calm the flow and also slow the flow ( by Friction) may be an idea I will try.

I agree that varying things, height of riffles, spacing, velocity etc makes sense... I reason that 1500 mm of all the same size riffles at the same spacing with the same mat or moss is a waste of time, if gold does not get caught in the first few riffles... the next lot of identical riffles will not catch it either. Varying the riffles is part of the intended mods in March.

Edited by user Saturday, 14 February 2015 11:22:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 15 February 2015 12:32:43 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
I was pretty keen to give allen trees system a go but found my sluice was working really good so didn't bother but if your looking to try something different it could be worth a go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX-B4Oj7YfM
LBD  
Posted : Sunday, 15 February 2015 2:21:04 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post
I was pretty keen to give allen trees system a go but found my sluice was working really good so didn't bother but if your looking to try something different it could be worth a go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX-B4Oj7YfM

That is the flaring arrangment right? I cannot get youtube while at the work camp so I will have a look when I get home in a couple of weeks

If it is the flaring sluice box, I think it has merit but I do not have the space luxuary to do that. I am however considering altering the underflow section so that it flares to a degree in the vertical direction.... ie were the water and feed enter under the plate at the top end, have the gap 1 inch, rising to 2 inch where it exits the rear of the sluice box... the velocity would would slow to 1/2 over the length of the underflow.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 15 February 2015 3:54:19 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Hi..yes he does make the flared sluices but not on his 8 basically he has a sump undernearlth your undercurrent section then he has a 3" Venturi that sucks all the material that falls into the sump that all gets pumped into a seperate sluice that sits ontop of the main sluice...watch the clip he explaines how it works .
LBD  
Posted : Sunday, 15 February 2015 4:15:03 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Now that is an interesting idea.... If I take that to its logical conclusion.... I could screen everything I suck up to say 1/2 inch... discard every thing over that and sluice every thing below that... wonder if that would work... essentially like a trommel arrangment works.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 15 February 2015 4:37:55 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

dont see why it wouldnt work but 1/2 Inch isn't really fines !!
These systems have been around for a while think 30 odd years mite have been called "the American dredge "!
I was thinking of trying it out as my gold is mostly fine or flat flake but I don't have much black sand so recovery is pretty good...Iv got 5mm punch plate over the undercurrent section which is 740wide by 600mm
LBD  
Posted : Sunday, 15 February 2015 5:46:10 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

No, not really fines but compared to 7 inch boulders.... I could go comfortably go to a 1/4 inch aperture on an arrangment like that

But I can feel a winter progect coming on as well the immediate refinements.

Edited by user Sunday, 15 February 2015 5:48:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ted wilson  
Posted : Saturday, 28 February 2015 10:24:09 AM(UTC)
ted wilson

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I AM FAIRLY NEW TO THIS. But I have a small high banker that I have used in Alaska a few times with my son in law. We were working public areas and it was really fine flower gold. I fond that the Gold Hogs Matts did a very good job of capturing the fine gold. I using a Gold Hog Mini, with a keene stream sluice tacked on the end, fitted with more gold hog matts.

It caught the very fine fold that was up there with no problems. We tested the tailings for losses, and there was very few losses.

Their stuff is expensive, but well worth it.

If nothing else, he has a lot of information he posts. He is also very responsive to queries. If you are having a problem with his mat, he will work with you to get it resolved.

He has a new material to be used for the washing and cleaning stage that I am going to be getting. Cleaning the cons is always a challenge. he looks like he has a good mat that will work with a recirculating bilge pump that will work well, even for fine fold.

hopefull2012  
Posted : Monday, 23 March 2015 7:19:17 PM(UTC)
hopefull2012

New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
hi, I imported some of gold hogs ur and razor back mat and have found that if I keep about 30mm of water flowing over the mat and expanded mesh I seem to lose very little fine flake. I think that if you don't have enough debth of water it adjitates and bubbles and stops the fine gold from settling.
simon  
Posted : Tuesday, 24 March 2015 6:12:15 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
I've recovered a bit of shotover flour gold with a 6 inch dredge. Found the best thing to do once all set up was to check the amount of air bubbles in the box. i ended up duct taping all joins in the hose and connections so no air at all was getting in. a air bubble less box caught the most gold of course. you can't catch finer gold than that at the shotover round here. of all the gold that tried to get away it is the bigger flat flaky minute gold that tends to flip away if any does. just need to have correct riffles and mat set up. same bits are what tries to escape at cleanup too. advice to anyone new is test your tailings periodically to see what you are losing. do the same at cleanup to see what if any you are losing. and something i quickly found in relation to miners matting - once you've cleaned the matting dry it fully then shake. a pan up i did i got another gram of very fine stuff. at $50 a gram it is well worth the extra time to do this. otherwise if i was going out often i just left it in the matting and stored the mats in a tub.

i've been tempted to try some of the gold hog mats in different combos i the dredge box but they're not the cheapest. would love to hear how anyone else has found these.
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 March 2015 7:24:24 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Its not all fine in the shotover some nice lumps to be found:)

Lbd has a "8 dredge so it makes using the likes of hog matt or the keene miracle matt a little harder to use with a bigger flow as the matting has a rather low profile and more than likely boil out when I set my 8 up I was going to use the keene stuff in the bottom section but when it arrived one look and I new I wouldn't be able to use it the way I intended .
gingerbreadman attached the following image(s):
297 (Copy).JPG
LBD  
Posted : Wednesday, 25 March 2015 9:53:58 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

It seems the problem with the 8" with the 28" sluice, is that it is flowing too fast and deep to catch the small flakey gold using regular configurations...

Tried one rebuild but to no avail... have another scheme in mind, using expanded mesh I am about to try. Both Keene and GH agree on this so I will make the mods and try it out in April

This is the stuff I am trying to catch... very thin and flakey.

Edited by user Wednesday, 25 March 2015 9:57:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LBD attached the following image(s):
ext.jpg
ted wilson  
Posted : Thursday, 26 March 2015 3:29:03 AM(UTC)
ted wilson

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Gold Hog has several mats designed for dredges, including one that he made for commercial ops that replaces moss directly.

He runs dredges as well on his claims.

I know that no one material works in all situations, But that is why he makes different matts.

It probably costs you $80 or $90 in gas for the day. I know his matts are expensive, but so is losing gold and operating the equipment.

I do not work for the guy, but he puts a lot of work into testing his mats. He has reworked them when they do not work.

I asked "doc" about the best way to check for losses, asking which mating I could add to the end at the discharge. His recommendation was to put a catch bucket at the discharge with a grizzley over the top. There should be enough flow to fluidize the rocks in it. Whey you shut down it should be about half full. You can use this to test for losses.

Got to like a guy who recommends a low cost solution when you ask him which of his products you should buy.

just the thoughts of a guy who ran a small highbanker a few times, does not own a dredge, but spent a lot of time reading up on matting in several different forums.

IT may be worth as much as you paid for it. :-)

Amanda  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 June 2015 5:55:56 PM(UTC)
Amanda

New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Have you tried putting in 'boil boxes', we had them at the start and end of our rifle boxes, with water swirling in them or through them they do catch alot .
Nz13  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 June 2015 6:29:49 PM(UTC)
Nz13

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I read an article by Dave Mccormick from the new 49ers gold page and they used a riffle system the same as the le trap sluice in the underfloor. . Recovers flour gold in a large dredge.. I'll find the link.
The le trap is and awesome bit of kit ad have thought about running one in the underflow of my custom sluice on my 4" self built dredge
Nz13  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 June 2015 7:13:44 PM(UTC)
Nz13

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hears the link to the new 49ers le trap style underflow...
http://www.goldgold.com/the-size-of-riffles.html