New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
waka  
Posted : Monday, 16 February 2015 7:30:48 AM(UTC)
waka

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Is there anyone out there that has tried gravity dredging.Tips and hints welcome.Would it be illegal to use this in public area's as its not mechanical?
LBD  
Posted : Monday, 16 February 2015 12:04:08 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
DOC Rules....

If you think a gravity system would fall under the heading of "Only the following hand tools...." then go for it....

Edited by user Monday, 16 February 2015 12:07:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LBD attached the following image(s):
resource.jpg
waka  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 February 2015 7:55:13 AM(UTC)
waka

Man
New Zealand

Thanks for that LBD.So what is the Louis like for a poke around with the correct equipment ?
Golddigger7  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 February 2015 8:03:54 AM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
and if you built some water races and a storage dam, you could enlarge a little bit and you could make an elevator :-), no motor right.
LBD  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 February 2015 12:59:08 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: waka Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for that LBD.So what is the Louis like for a poke around with the correct equipment ?

Sorry… I cannot comment on what the fossicking is like up there… I only passed through with the weed trimmer to clean up around the Sabine memorial… I normally “fossick” on my claim a ways from there…. cheers
kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 February 2015 7:12:06 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Gravity dredging....now that brings back some fond memories.
Check this link out. :)
http://www.paydirt.co.nz...ered-Dredge.aspx#post127

Good luck out there

JW :)
waka  
Posted : Monday, 23 February 2015 7:11:40 AM(UTC)
waka

Man
New Zealand

Gday JW.Thanks so much for the link that was bloody awesome .I was thinking a length of 4in pipe about 5ft long before my 2in with curve nosel{don't know wat the proper name for the nosel).I feel it would increase my suction.Wat are your thoughts on this idea JW?
ted wilson  
Posted : Sunday, 1 March 2015 4:36:08 PM(UTC)
ted wilson

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I had a similar question, so I wrote to DOC. My question was not gravity dredge directly, but cold I use a length of hose to feed a sluice.

At first I thought that the answer was a clear yes. But as I re-read it, she says to follow any posted sign. There is a posting of the sign in the area, which lists 4 hand tools..... so not sre how to deconflict the statements.

Anyhow: here is my letter and their reply.

Name: ted wilson
Email: [email protected]
EmailAgain: [email protected]
Telephone:
Comment: I have a few questions on gold fosselicking at your sites:

1) do the measurements of the ripple (1 meter by 20cm) include the flare to gather water? or
2) if I have a flare to gather warer, that feeds a ripple that has matting that is 20cm by 1 mewter, is that acceptable?

3) if there are two of us can one ripple feed into the next one, with a gap between them? (the output from the first is a few inches above the second one in height)

4) can I use a some screening material in the bucket to help wash the rocks.
5) can I use a section of plastic hose to feed water to the ripple from upstream?

Their reply
Hi Ted,

I have received your enquiry about gold fossicking at DOC sites in the Nelson/Tasman region.

Gold fossicking is restricted to hand-held non-motorised methods only, such as gold panning, sluice boxing and the use of metal detectors; so your proposal sounds fine, as long as you do this in a designated recreational gold fossicking area, follow the gold fossciking care code and adhere to any signs at the gold fossicking areas.

I refer to the following webpages for information about gold fossicking.

http://www.nzpam.govt.nz...minerals/gold-fossicking

http://www.doc.govt.nz/p...ld-fossicking-care-code/

Kind Regards,

Aran Naismith
Senior Permissions Advisor - Tūtohu
Hokitika Shared Service Centre - Wahanga Ratonga Pokapū o Hokitika
Department of Conservation – Te Papa Atawhai
DDI: (03) 756 9138 | Fax (03) 756 9188 | VPN 5238 | Mail Private Bag 701, Hokitika, 7842
Conservation for prosperity Tiakina te taiao, kia puawai
www.doc.govt.nz

Caution - This message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential or subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message or data is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please notify us immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments. We apologise for the inconvenience. Thank you.

nafcd  
Posted : Sunday, 1 March 2015 9:13:58 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
so you haven't really asked what you wanted to know but their reply has answered it anyway. lol. I read it as hand held only as the signs at sites say but you can supplement the water supply by bringing it from upstream. is that how you read it ted.
waka  
Posted : Monday, 2 March 2015 9:28:52 AM(UTC)
waka

Man
New Zealand

Gday nafcd.I read it as you did mate.Its been a worry lifted [hand held ]that's what I got from that.kwl
waka  
Posted : Monday, 2 March 2015 9:35:06 AM(UTC)
waka

Man
New Zealand

Gday Ted.

Well put mate, hand held is what has bugged me for ages..Happy water delivery.lol
tasmangold  
Posted : Monday, 13 April 2015 8:32:11 AM(UTC)
tasmangold

New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
so just wondering did you give it a go .im thinking of doing this my self , just wondering what set up you used ,hose size etc .any info would be helpful
ted wilson  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 April 2015 8:59:09 AM(UTC)
ted wilson

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I got the answer to late to do anything this trip. I am back iun the US, but planned to do a gravity dredge on the next one. I plan to go to the local recycle shop and see what cheap plastic piping I can find. I would think that the bigger the better, but you also have to move it and pack it. I would really like to find some in the 40 - 60 mmm range, what ever is standard in that range.

Let me know if you have any luck with it.

tasmangold  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 April 2015 1:20:24 PM(UTC)
tasmangold

New Zealand

I'm thinking of goin 76mm 3inchs . I do a lot of work at vineyards and thay have a fair amount of tank pipes around at that size I think it's almost like suction pipe for dredge. Found a perfect little place I might try out not to far to walk . And has a nice fall on it . Also might try a y bend PVC up top to get a lot more push throu of water and more suction at the working end if you no what I mean
waka  
Posted : Wednesday, 15 April 2015 10:28:59 PM(UTC)
waka

Man
New Zealand

Hi guys haven't had a crack as yet.I've just had my forth total hip replacement today so abit layed up.
Have had a chat with a guy he thought for a second and said i'm doing that.his plan and idea was too cut the top out of a container,leave the handle .put container in the water so it works as a resivour with pipe coming out of the bottom then there was constant flow at all times.Also make a[ y] junction so you get a vortex happening. Another trick is to burn 2 to 3 mozzie coils around you and you will keep both hands on the shovel and the clarifier.Plez let us know how you get on.Waka
5AMP  
Posted : Thursday, 16 April 2015 10:51:13 AM(UTC)
5AMP

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
This is not gravity dredging but another interesting use of the water/gravity combination.

http://angusmackirk.com/...d-water-transfer-system/
tasmangold  
Posted : Thursday, 16 April 2015 11:13:51 AM(UTC)
tasmangold

New Zealand

I think the suction hose is gunna be a prob it's so bloody dear to buy . For a decent smoth bore pipe . Don't wAnna use a flexy drain type . Is say most of your pay will get stuck in the riffles
waka  
Posted : Thursday, 16 April 2015 12:17:34 PM(UTC)
waka

Man
New Zealand

Gday tasmangold.I agree with you on that the work to clean it would be huge,I bought 10 mtrs of 2inch wire reinforced pipe[clear ]it has no ridges init so all materials will end in the box.Sounds good.
If you have access to dairy farms that same wire reinforced hose is used to transfer milk from the vat to tankers or calf feeders.They sometimes get run over and not much use after that so it may be an option,or the same type of water hose that they use on dairy farms,they are about 3to4inches in diameter, 4to5 mm thick and made of rubber heavy but would last.
Good luck and keep me posted.
tasmangold  
Posted : Thursday, 16 April 2015 1:04:16 PM(UTC)
tasmangold

New Zealand

Yah m8 that sounds good . I'm thinking the same sort I can pick up from vineyards . Will ten Mtrs be enuf
waka  
Posted : Thursday, 16 April 2015 8:25:51 PM(UTC)
waka

Man
New Zealand

Gday tasmangold.
I think it would depend on your fall.In my mind if you put a bucket in the water and felt the force of the water to fill it ,it would give you a rough idea as too what sort of suction you may develop just by feeling the pull on the bucket ,I'm no rocket wiz .I think there could be some trial and error with this.I thought 10mtrs would be enough simply for the dragging of the gear around.I also use a bag barrow with pump up wheels to tote my gears around and it can go most places,it works a treat.
2 Pages12>